Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HighVamp913
Toucan
Toucan

24 Oct 2020, 12:09 am

Tw:

My nightmares have been bad recently. I would move in my sleep, whimper, and repeatedly scratch my skin. To the point where I wake up to a first degree burn. I feel bad and stupid after that and get lost in my thoughts. I could just feel my thoughts going wild. Which eventually leads to a panic attack. I don't know how to stop the panic attack. I can't stop the scratching, I'm unaware until I wake up. I'm scared to sleep. I'm afraid of ending up having a panic attack. Im just tired of all this.

-Overthinker
-ADHD (I got energy and crazy impulses) 8) :)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 2:44 am

HighVamp913 wrote:
Tw:

My nightmares have been bad recently. I would move in my sleep, whimper, and repeatedly scratch my skin. To the point where I wake up to a first degree burn. I feel bad and stupid after that and get lost in my thoughts. I could just feel my thoughts going wild. Which eventually leads to a panic attack. I don't know how to stop the panic attack. I can't stop the scratching, I'm unaware until I wake up. I'm scared to sleep. I'm afraid of ending up having a panic attack. Im just tired of all this.

RE: Panic attacks.
Stay off anything that has caffeine in it.
Coffee.
Tea.
Chocolate.

RE: The scratching.
Do what they do with kids who have measles.
Put some gloves on, and tap them on your wrist, if you have to. 8)

And one more thing,

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)

HighVamp913
Toucan
Toucan

24 Oct 2020, 5:42 am

Wait...caffeine can induce panic attacks?

-Overthinker

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 6:04 am

HighVamp913 wrote:
Wait...caffeine can induce panic attacks?

Caffeine enhances/amplifies the entire emotional spectrum.
I believe it increases the amount of adrenaline, in your system, and reduces the degree of rational thought.

More emotion, less reason.
Not good when you are in emotional overload.

I can find information on the web about this, if you like.

And one more thing,

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 1:01 pm

B-b-b-but that means no more of my favorite Tetley’s British Blend Tea!
I cannot function without it
:cry:

HighVamp913
Toucan
Toucan

24 Oct 2020, 8:52 pm

Yes I would very much like that. I have a somewhat restricted access to internet.

-Overthinker

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 12:08 am

HighVamp913 wrote:
Yes I would very much like that. I have a somewhat restricted access to internet.

Quote:
The Bad: Adrenaline

Drinking caffeine triggers the release of adrenaline. Adrenaline is the source of the “fight or flight” response, a survival mechanism that forces you to stand up and fight or run for the hills when faced with a threat. The fight-or-flight mechanism sidesteps rational thinking in favor of a faster response. This is great when a bear is chasing you, but not so great when you’re responding to a curt email. When caffeine puts your brain and body into this hyper-aroused state, your emotions overrun your behavior. https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbrad ... 968e23118c

And one more thing,

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 12:33 am

Quote:
How Caffeine Makes You Emotionally Handicapped

Do you drink coffee on a regular basis?

If so, you are probably paying around $165 dollars every year to drink caffeine.

Recent research suggests that caffeine has a devastating effect in your life, particularly in your relationships. https://paulsohn.org/how-caffeine-makes ... -the-time/

And one more thing,

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 12:42 am

Sylkat wrote:
B-b-b-but that means no more of my favorite Tetley’s British Blend Tea!
I cannot function without it
:cry:

Some people don't have a problem with caffeine, apparently. ;)

And one more thing,

HighVamp913
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2020, 11:03 am

Is it the same with foods that contain caffeine. Like chocolate, chocolate ice-cream, and chocolate milk. I really like chocolate, but I will try to stop eating it if it is playing a role in my panic attacks.

-Overthinker

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 4:44 pm

Can't really imagine panic attacks because of caffeine. I'm drinking a huge amount of green tea since many years (about a litre a day) and it never caused me a panic attack. It may cause light sensitivity or a flimmer skotoma which is related to migraine. Anybody may react a little bit different of course to it. But as long as you aren't drinking really very much caffeine it shouldn't be a problem.
Nightmares are a different problem. Think about a way to skip the big fears that you are facing in your dreams. Become aware that your fears are your real enemy and not the things whatever you are afraid of in your dreams. :wink: :tired:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 5:51 pm

Pepe has given some good advice here. You can get cotton gloves on amazon and wear them at night. I know people who do this successfully.

Regarding caffeine, it does not cause panic attacks, but it does increase the risk especially if you are already having panic attacks.

Are you taking any medications that might cause the nightmares? Nightmares are side effects of some medication.

HighVamp913
Toucan
Toucan

25 Oct 2020, 7:39 pm

I actually don't know. I take an anti-depressant, ADHD med, and melatonin (OTC sleeping pill) . They are different though because they aren't stimulants. I can't have stimulants cause they increase my chance of panic...... Coffe is a stimulant isn't it. Bruh, no more coffee. It was nice it kept me awake but I kinda twitch afterward.

-Overthinker

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 9:41 pm

HighVamp913 wrote:
Is it the same with foods that contain caffeine. Like chocolate, chocolate ice-cream, and chocolate milk. I really like chocolate, but I will try to stop eating it if it is playing a role in my panic attacks.

Yes.
But there is only a problem if you are sensitive to caffeine.
I think most are, but I know some who aren't.
Go figure. :scratch:

Bottom line, abstain from all caffeine and see if it helps with your panic attacks.
Give it a couple of days for the caffeine to fully leave your system.

You may experience caffeine withdrawal headaches, and if so, drink water. 8)

And one more thing,

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2020, 9:46 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Pepe has given some good advice here. You can get cotton gloves on amazon and wear them at night. I know people who do this successfully.

Regarding caffeine, it does not cause panic attacks, but it does increase the risk especially if you are already having panic attacks.

Are you taking any medications that might cause the nightmares? Nightmares are side effects of some medication.

I am thinking along the lines of panic attacks being fuelled by excess emotions.
Caffeine is known to cause anxiety, as an example.

Quote:
A 2008 studyTrusted Source showed how caffeine increases alertness by blocking a brain chemical (adenosine) that makes you feel tired, while at the same time triggering the release of adrenalin that’s known to increase energy.

If the amount of caffeine is high enough, these effects are stronger, resulting in caffeine-induced anxiety.

While there are mental benefits to caffeine, high doses are knownTrusted Source to induce anxiety symptoms, and people with panic disorder and social anxiety disorder are especially sensitive. https://www.healthline.com/health/caffe ... nd-anxiety

8)

And one more thing,

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2020, 5:21 am

HighVamp913 wrote:
I actually don't know. I take an anti-depressant, ADHD med, and melatonin (OTC sleeping pill) . They are different though because they aren't stimulants. I can't have stimulants cause they increase my chance of panic...... Coffe is a stimulant isn't it. Bruh, no more coffee. It was nice it kept me awake but I kinda twitch afterward.

Some antidepressants have side effects of nightmares. Your ADHD medicine is likely a stimulant. Google their names and read about them. Discuss with your doctor.

Coffee is a stimulant and if it makes you jittery it can certainly exacerbate your sleep and your panic attacks. Are you drinking coffee or other drinks with caffeine? Coke, Diet Coke, Mountain Dew, Monster, Red Bull?