Would anyone take a risk in buying something like this ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

modelmaker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2012, 7:53 pm

I was browseing ebay for nothing really in particular & I noticed this ;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300821205696? ... 1438.l2649
The description could be true, I cannot see a reason to think otherwise, but out of interest how many of you would take a chance on buying this ?

I would'nt take a risk buying it thats for sure, as I've myself & family to consider, & I've never experienced anything paranormal but I do believe evil entities exist & are probably best left well alone !

Can someone tell me how to apply my signature to my posts ?..., as my pen scratches my PC screen !

PM me anytime for advice, chat or just to say hello.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 8:12 pm

Hahahaha.

Yes, some people would definitely be excited to take that risk, which is precisely why the seller has made up that ridiculous story. It's probably going to work well for them as they will sell the item for more than they paid for it.

modelmaker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2012, 9:22 pm

Thanks for reply Yellowtamarin, Yes, I'm also apprehensive about the sellers description, still not sure I'd take a risk though.

I'm also suprized to have not recieved more comments &/or opinions about this (my title asks the question, inviteing debate) , as currently at over 60 views but so far only one reply :?

Maybe I should've including a poll vote :chin:

Can someone tell me how to apply my signature to my posts ?..., as my pen scratches my PC screen !

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 10:00 pm

I wouldn't take the risk.

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

madnak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2012, 2:29 am

I've often wanted to investigate claims of "paranormal" activity, but there are more efficient ways to do it than to buy an eBay item on the basis of unverifiable claims.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 7:28 am

It's actually a really bad risk to take, when you think about it, because you lose either way. If the seller's claims are false (or alternatively the "effects" of the item fail to follow the physical item) then you've been conned out of your money. If the seller's claims are true (and you do get the effects they describe) then you've paid money to introduce a problem into your life. I guess the idea is that the buyer actually wants such a "problem", but still... I doubt they would enjoy it for long.

One way I can see this potentially working is with a bet between a skeptic and a believer. This way the skeptic would take the risk of the claims being true, while the believer would take the risk of the claims being false. Of course, it would be impossible to prove anything either way (especially the lack of effects), so the only way such a bet could be settled is if the believer agreed to accept the skeptic's opinion and that seems unlikely.

Dan Ariely mentions a study about people paying more for objects with stories about them, which seems relevant here: http://danariely.com/2009/12/25/the-sig ... s-project/ He's very interesting to read if you love to understand people's irrationality. (Though it does get a bit depressing sometimes, especially when you realise even you are not immune to it!)

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 8:14 am

ouija boards are an old parlor trick sold as a board game,

it has nothing to do with spirits, people used them extensively once as good family fun and nothing about it was supernatural, why did it suddenly turn into a crystal ball?

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 2:00 pm

I find it hard to believe/accept the fact that despite evolution, humans still allow themselves to believe in spirits, demons, deities, ghosts and "paranormal" phenomena.

The seller has that board marked up way too high. For a toy that merely exploits the ideomotor effect, $37 is a bit too much.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 2:02 pm

Why pay for a haunted one that may or not be haunted, just by a fresh one from the toy shop and invite the Devil himself into your life to possess you and drive you into a mental asylum.

Whilst it may just be a simple board game, if you have the genuine desire to use it as a door to invite entities through, they will take you up on your offer and woe betide you.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 4:40 pm

It's been awhile, but someone sold (or tried to sell) a poltergeist in a bottle on Ebay.
Personally I make it a point to have nothing to do with such paraphernalia.
The seller no doubt made up the story simply to charge more for the item.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 3:02 pm

A Poltergeist in a bottle?
Really?
I thought that Poltergeists were supposed to be insubstantial, therefore un-catchable, furthermore, oozing right through the glass of a bottle...
I think that I would have liked to have seen that listing, and I think I would have really enjoyed the 'Questions About This Item' section of the listing.....

Sylkat :D

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 3:09 pm

There is no benefit to be gained from it.

modelmaker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2012, 4:04 pm

Sylkat wrote:
A Poltergeist in a bottle?
Really?
I thought that Poltergeists were supposed to be insubstantial, therefore un-catchable, furthermore, oozing right through the glass of a bottle...
I think that I would have liked to have seen that listing, and I think I would have really enjoyed the 'Questions About This Item' section of the listing.....

Sylkat :D

Not sure about a poltergiest, But, the chances are that at some stage the bottle may have contained some sort of spirit , whisky, brandy etc ? :salut:

Seabass
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Nov 2012, 9:30 am

Ha

I doubt that any of those mass produced products are truly haunted.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 10:10 am

If I were to open a "curiosities"-themed eatery, I'd use them as place-mats and have appetizers served in planchette-shaped bowls.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 10:16 am

No, we are too arrogant and stubborn for it. :wink: :P