Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OrdinaryCitizen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2018, 11:24 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye-rolling

Guess i know now why so many people are hostile against me because i always look away and back on person and it could be seen as "eye rolling".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 4:05 pm

I have been criticized for this.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 4:26 pm

I don't think looking away and then back is considered eye rolling , the eyes have to roll like this ----> :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 4:28 pm

I accidentally roll my eyes a lot, sun glasses help.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

28 Oct 2018, 8:40 pm

I actually do a lot of eye rolling. I hear people talking about values and their own stereotypes of people and I catch myself rolling my eyes.

Kanye West 2020

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 11:50 am

I saw a comic strip a while ago where a girl is hearing people tell her all these things she's good at... for a girl. Each time someone says it, she rolls her eyes back a little further until finally only the whites are shown, and she begs them to stop because her eyes can't roll back any further. :lol:

When I was younger the was a For Better or for Worse comic where the mother, Elly, is yelling at her teen son Micheal, and then she yells at him again for rolling his eyes every time she stops. But then he rolls his eyes again and she gets so furious she grabs him by his shirt collar, Micheal then says, "I can't help it! It's an unconscious reaction to a negative stimulus!" Elly then lets him go, and rolls *her* eyes at what her son just said. :roll: :lol:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 6:19 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I don't think looking away and then back is considered eye rolling , the eyes have to roll like this ----> :roll:

Ferris is right. And according to Malcolm Gladwell (I think it was in Blink) eye-rolling is a universal sign of contempt, across cultures. He even states that research has shown that if spouses are eye-rolling at each other, the major percentage will separate within five years, or maybe it was 10 years. Whatever it was, it makes me think twice of doing that eye roll.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Oct 2018, 7:40 pm

The eye rolling emoticon seems completely out of synch on a support forum. It's always used in a hostile way.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 7:43 pm

If someone rolls their eyes at me, I feel like punching that someone.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Oct 2018, 7:46 pm

Of course. Hostile contempt gestures whether online or IRL are meant to inflict nastiness on the target.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 8:14 pm

It said on on wiki that for years it was supposed to mean you were flirting, but it became a negative gesture sometime in the 80's. It also said that teen girls apparently use it more than boys, possibly because it's an evolutionary trait for women to show aggression without using violence. But it can lead to violence in some people, so I really don't know.

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Oct 2018, 8:31 pm

It is mostly used by a small group of males on WP.

OrdinaryCitizen

01 Nov 2018, 12:13 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
It said on on wiki that for years it was supposed to mean you were flirting.

Maybe its when you check someone out like look down on their bottom and back up in their eyes was considered flirting not looking away?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 8:43 am

Eye rolling is a sign of disrespect. I haven't experienced it often, but I know that I have said something incredibly stupid when it does happen. It's a sign that I should keep quiet.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 10:30 am

So...
I'm the only one here who really and truly cannot control it?

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2018, 12:27 pm

Arganger wrote:
So...
I'm the only one here who really and truly cannot control it?

I can't control mine either. It just happens mid-conversation. I notice I do it a lot with my therapist too, I don't mean it rudely but it just happens, it's almost as if I know that people are expecting facial expressions from me but I don't know which one, so I just fill it with anything and it's often filled with an eye-roll. I also have to break eye contact constantly as it freaks me out, so I often look to the side of the person and then back at them, I'm not sure whether people interpret that as an eye-roll, though.