Advocates set ambitious goal for jobs for Autistic adults

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 2:21 am

Michigan NPR

Quote:
The Autism Alliance of Michigan is setting an ambitious 10-year goal: for Michigan to be the first state in the nation to employ adults with autism at the same rate as neurotypical workers.

Alliance President Colleen Allen says that would mean placing roughly 101,000 people on the autism spectrum in jobs. She says reaching the goal will require the involvement of state agencies, the public education system, as well as employers.

"This will be our outreach to employers large and small to open their doors to expand the definition of diversity, equity, and inclusion to also mean ability," says Allen.

She says better training of people with autism for employment will create the supply, but companies will have to create the demand.

"And the recruiting and supporting of people with disabilities creates a return on investment for them that actually makes it worthwhile to open their doors to people on the spectrum," Allen says.

The Alliance says about 90% of adults with autism now are not currently employed.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 4:25 am

Full employment for us is impossible until better biological treatments are created that address the real reasons many of us cannot work that go beyond simple discrimination.

Some of us cannot live on our own or make ourselves breakfast let alone have the ability to hold down a job and work to the efficiency and accuracy to make us worthwhile hiring.

Someone has to pay our wages like a shopkeeper for example , would a small business owner be able to keep paying someone who was very inefficient and still stay profitable? after all and a job is not charity.

Looks like political spin to me like a few years back when all the UN Security Council members agreed that all nuclear weapons need to be eliminated in principle.

Everyone knew that was never going to happen, never did happen and Russia, China & US are developing new nukes at the moment.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 5:02 am

It sounds all very inclusive and everything, but even if they employ adults with autism at the same rate as neurotypical workers, that doesn't mean the same level jobs.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 7:48 am

Just feel good political spin bit like peace on earth, end racism, no more fossil fuels etc etc

The reality is more complicated.

It’s easy to say because nobody takes ownership in ten years the ones saying it will have either retired or moved jobs.

Bit like bad CEO they cream off a 7 figure salary for a few years running a company into the ground while saying some positive business spin nonsense to the media. When the time is right they jump ship to sail off in distance in their super yacht and let someone else pick up the pieces.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 2:08 pm

The reaction to this post so far is exactly the problem in America today. If 100 percent of what is wanted is not gotten it is a failure and never should have been tried. If this initiative results in some autistics being employed that would not have been that is a good thing. If this initiative fails it presents an opportunity to learn from its mistakes. An important part of learning is finding out what does not work.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 2:50 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The reaction to this post so far is exactly the problem in America today. If 100 percent of what is wanted is not gotten it is a failure and never should have been tried. If this initiative results in some autistics being employed that would not have been that is a good thing. If this initiative fails it presents an opportunity to learn from its mistakes. An important part of learning is finding out what does not work.

If one autistic person gets hired then that`s a good thing. My issue is it skates over the issue why so few autistic people are in work, is not discrimination but their autism itself.

In the UK 16% of autistics are employed full time as of 2019. I’m sure those 16% suffered some type of discrimination at some point like myself, whether at interviews or in jobs done previously.

What about the 84%? I suspect they are too disabled to work, I bet they can’t live independently or have poor executive functioning skills and other issues that make it impossible for them to hold down a job.

They concentrate on the few that can work & whitewash the fact that most cannot, giving a misleading media impression that most autistic people are unfound cryptocurrency computer programmer’s & scientists while whitewashing the disabling factor of autism for the huge majority.

https://www.learningdisabilitytoday.co. ... first-time

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 3:18 pm

carlos55 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

If one autistic person gets hired then that`s a good thing. My issue is it skates over the issue why so few autistic people are in work, is not discrimination but their autism itself.

In the UK 16% of autistics are employed full time as of 2019. I’m sure those 16% suffered some type of discrimination at some point like myself, whether at interviews or in jobs done previously.

What about the 84%? I suspect they are too disabled to work, I bet they can’t live independently or have poor executive functioning skills and other issues that make it impossible for them to hold down a job.

They concentrate on the few that can work & whitewash the fact that most cannot, giving a misleading media impression that most autistic people are unfound cryptocurrency computer programmer’s & scientists while whitewashing the disabling factor of autism for the huge majority.

https://www.learningdisabilitytoday.co. ... first-time
I would agree with this,I honestly don't think most employers would discriminate against someone based on autism as long as they can do the job.I think most autistic's are not suited for the workplace and a job offer would be pointless.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 6:01 pm

I have no idea what it is percentage wise, but I certainly read in posts on WP from people who can’t get on at work for a variety of reasons, many have to do with impaired socialization.

Employers and fellow employees would prefer someone who gets along socially rather than someone who gets the job done. It may not be intentional discrimination. I’m not sure they even know they are doing it. It would be interesting to see if there were to be developed an accommodation that would compensate for impaired socialization.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 10:36 am

So that more of us can be employed, we need more autistic-friendly workplaces to be created.

In order for autistic-friendly workplaces to thrive and function well as productive businesses, we also need more of us to be taught what I call autistic-friendly social skills, which would enable us to get along better with each other and with autistic-friendly NT coworkers/managers, but without necessarily blending in with a mainstream NT crowd.