Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 4:09 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
nick007 wrote:
There's a synthetic form of marijuana called Spice which can make people crazy

"Spice" and it's collective variants are usually any smokeable leaf that's been treated with a synthetic chemical which has far more in common with methamphetamines than it does THC / marijuana. They are in no way actually related.

The synthetic cannabinoids in Spice and similar products are not more similar to amphetamine like drugs.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 4:22 pm

Smoked it in various forms for years.
It’s definitely does slow thought process down, and cumulatively eat away at whatever motivation level you have.
It also heightens any tendency to paranoia and anxiety with regular high dosages.
I’ve had periods when I smoked very strong skunk from morning to night: those were the worst times in my life so far, I was getting high all the time to avoid my problems: and it just prevented me from doing anything about them until they overwhelmed me.
I’ve had some pretty scary experiences from smoking other peoples rolls: now I only smoke my own, still use strong skunk but only a few flakes scattered through a roll-up cigarette, and never more than three, never before evening meal.

TylerWekey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jun 2020, 6:11 pm

Hi, I am definitely an opponent of these things, and I am inclined to the fact that there can only be negative consequences from them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 6:23 pm

TylerWekey wrote:
Hi, I am definitely an opponent of these things, and I am inclined to the fact that there can only be negative consequences from them.

Really, only negatives? Go on, I'm sure you have a compelling case to make. :mrgreen:

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 6:35 pm

Marijuana once turned my friend into a thief, and then a lunatic, and then almost killed her.

She stole a bag of marshmallows from my pantry and almost choked on them from laughing too hard while we were playing video games.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 6:37 pm

Not all drugs are created equal and there is a link between high THC and low CBD in marijuana. I remember seeing some long term studies out of British Columbia, Canada where there was a link to issues and possible mental illnesses in early teen brains because it interfered with its normal development when used regularly - and this a crucial developmental age. I can't remember the details though...not a guarantee but above normal instances. I am quite certain that same study found minimal change within other age groups.
The takeaway for me (haha) was to create a rule of thumb "don't smoke strains where CBD is artificially low".

Last edited by I love belko61 on 08 Jun 2020, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

choeft2018
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jun 2020, 6:57 pm

This is slightly off-topic I know. For years psychiatrists claimed that "False Memory Syndrome" was a myth. You can't make somebody "remember" something that never happened. So all these people who suddenly remember that they were sexually abused by their parents or that they witnessed their father murder their best friend (an actual case btw) had to be remembering it accurately. What other explanation could there be? That claim has been thoroughly debunked. A recent medical study shows that people who smoke marijuana are particularly susceptible to False Memory Syndrome.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 7:54 pm

I believe a known side effect of being high on marijuana is paranoia, but that also doesn't necessarily mean it'll make you develop full on psychosis of any kind, especially as long as you use it moderately. Constant, long term use of any drug is certainly not good for your brain and probably makes you more likely to develop a plethora of mental illnesses, and constant use during adolescence definitely wouldn't be the best idea to avoid that.

One of the things that is good about marijuana becoming increasingly legalized is that more research can be done and is being done on these possible long term effects. It can be hard to find studies that have followed someone through their marijuana use and development of these issues, usually they're done after the fact and the correlation goes off of prior pot use. Hopefully now there will be more that do the former. I also hope that they will consider the fact that people at risk for/that already have mental illnesses might be more likely to use marijuana, as it doesn't seem like some studies are accounting for that.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper

08 Jun 2020, 9:11 pm

I knew someone who had turned scitzophrenic and had to be on medication after being on a drug called LSD. He said he was fine before he became hooked on LSD.

I do not know a lot about drugs except to say I stay away from them as I have enough balance problems when in a partial shutdown!

Buton A Button B

TylerWekey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2020, 6:59 pm

:?: I do not impose my position, but I believe that this is bad, and therefore negative. I read a lot about this and have enough information to form an understanding, I recommend studying Schizophrenia Essays at studydriver.com/schizophrenia-essay/ from different points of view, approaches to the problem and the disease, reasons, consequences and life with it. I learned a lot of new things for myself, there is a chance for you, you just have to go over and read. Success in the study of the issue! :wink: :!:

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2020, 7:13 pm

It can cause psychosis and schizophrenia if it's LATENT. Psychosis is more common than real schizophrenia imo.

NickiMusic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2020, 8:00 am

I have bipolar affective disorder. Cannabis HELPS this lady. I have intrusive thoughts as well as all the other chattering my brain does. One puff and they’re gone. Such relief.

Psychosis is part of my condition. Yet it never happens if I am stoned. I’m used to dealing with psychosis (if I’m in an episode) which for me takes the form of voices shouting in my ear, shadow figures (not full people) and lights in my vision. For me, I would never act on hallucinations, in fact you wouldn’t know I was psychotic.

In my view all vices should be legalised. This means sex workers and drugs. I don’t believe in a nanny state and I think we should be able to make our own choices. Who the hell does the government think they are when they are talking about what we do with our own bodies? Mind your own business.

Alcohol and nicotine are far worse. Alcohol causes crime and social dysfunction especially on the streets. Potheads seem to stay inside. Just think how many policeman we would have if we got rid of the vice squad.

Perhaps they can go and do something useful then. :lol:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jun 2020, 2:39 pm

After my only experiment with marijuana, I had a "bad trip" of very unpleasant delusions - I think that's the word for what happens when your senses work alright but your mind interprets it wildest ways.
It made me feel deep compassion for all the schizpohrenics who have it on daily basis, not just after stupid experiments on oneself. It's real, horrible suffering.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jul 2020, 1:29 pm

NickiMusic wrote:
I have bipolar affective disorder. Cannabis HELPS this lady. I have intrusive thoughts as well as all the other chattering my brain does. One puff and they’re gone. Such relief.

Psychosis is part of my condition. Yet it never happens if I am stoned. I’m used to dealing with psychosis (if I’m in an episode) which for me takes the form of voices shouting in my ear, shadow figures (not full people) and lights in my vision. For me, I would never act on hallucinations, in fact you wouldn’t know I was psychotic.

In my view all vices should be legalised. This means sex workers and drugs. I don’t believe in a nanny state and I think we should be able to make our own choices. Who the hell does the government think they are when they are talking about what we do with our own bodies? Mind your own business.

Alcohol and nicotine are far worse. Alcohol causes crime and social dysfunction especially on the streets. Potheads seem to stay inside. Just think how many policeman we would have if we got rid of the vice squad.

Perhaps they can go and do something useful then. :lol:
I've known more than a few people with bipolar disorder, a few people with schizophrenia, & a couple who had both disorders that were helped by marijuana. Some of them were prescribed medical marijuana by their docs & psychs.

I do not understand why marijuana is considered a drug. A drug is something that is manufactured & made by chemists. Marijuana is a plant. How the hell can we regulate a plant :scratch: Various meds including lots of psych meds can potentially have some very serious side-effects that are worse than what most people get from marijuana & some potential side-effects from some psych meds can even include psychosis & mania. Also lots of psych meds can cost people a lot more than marijuana costs unless the person has a great prescription drug plan. Plus people have to have appointments with their docs & psychs to get their meds prescribed & seeing docs & psychs can potentially costs a lot too. For some people it's a lot cheaper & easier for them to grow their own marijuana plants or just go to a dispensary if they live in a state where it's legal for them to.

~King Of The Hill

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2020, 4:13 pm

It can bring it out in people. It doesn't cause it in the sense that drinking alcohol causes a person to become drunk (this will apply to everyone who drinks, if they drink enough). But some would say that it can apparently cause it in some people who otherwise show no psychotic symptoms. It's a matter of perspective and debate as to whether these people are already "psychotic" or whether the pot causes it in them. Whether it's beneath the surface or not there at all until the episode, nevertheless the simple fact remains that if someone smokes, they may experience psychosis (without any other obvious triggers). I knew one person who used to smoke it regularly and then one time while high, experienced "command hallucinations" and jumped off a bridge (thankfully survived, but with both legs broken). Keep in mind such cases are very rare, but there is still some small risk there. Think of it like a spectrum. Pretty much everyone who has used pot recreationally has experienced some of the negatives (paranoia, dysphoria, lethargy, etc). Now imagine that exponentiated in a psychologically vulnerable person.

I used to smoke it every day (and/or take edibles, etc). I eventually quit because I realized I was addicted (not physically addicted, but hooked on it in terms of habit and dependence on it to not be bored etc), and I was filling up a hole in my life with pot (once the hole was filled, there was less room for the substance). I caught myself standing in the pot store waiting in line and decided I didn't want to wait anymore. I didn't see it as a big deal that I was always smoking it but over time just caught myself, and said "I don't need this anymore". That's not to say I haven't had cravings for it, but ultimately I've resisted, because I think it causes more problems for me than benefits. I have a schizoaffective and substance use disorder diagnoses (both in recovery)...I just think it's best for me that I don't use any substances. I tend to go overboard with them and it's a slippery slope for me. Alcohol was the big one for me, and I actually found pot was helpful for me as a safer alternative for a year or so, to give me something to fill the void left by alcohol. People can do what they want, though. I realize it's good for some people and bad for others (or both in the same person).

Dendi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2020, 4:34 pm

To tell you the truth, there are different forms and variations of marijuana, however the main thing is if you don't know how to be careful with it and how to use it properly, I mean, in medical purposes