Anyone know any Speech Techniques I could try.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

gtw1983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

I'm an aspie that stutters over my words a lot.

Even if I'm having a good social moment the sudden falling apart of my speech or drawing a complete blank can ruin any confidence I might have gotten.I can tell I get weird stares when this happens and that just makes it worse.Talking to new people is tough,but this seems much harder to me.And worse yet it still happens sometimes whether I'm with people I just met or have known all my life.I've tried reading aloud out of a book before I socialize.Practicing different tones,pitches etc somewhat helps with the stuttering anyways.

But it seems there is a ton of difference in reading out whats written on a page,and thinking up the words myself and getting them from my brain to my lips.Lol..as silly as that sounds thats the best way I know to describe it.Many times I'll use short 2-5 word sentences,or even stop dead mid sentence cause I have to think what comes next.This is infuriating when inside I'm so wanting to make good conversation.

Does anyone know any good speech therapy techniques I could use to improve this problem?I don't have any insurance and don't want to pay big bucks to go to a speech therapist or Psychologist myself.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 5:18 pm

I have a tendency to think of two synonyms and try to say both at once. My brain goes faster than my mouth.

I don't tend to stutter most of the time, but when I'm nervous or stressed I can lose all ability to speak. I find telephone calls particularly arduous. My best approach is usually to give in to insanity and make a joke out of the whole thing; hey, if I'm dying on stage anyway, what's the worst that can happen? Usually your audience will respond well to it!

One trick I've heard of if a word gets "stuck" is to say it in another language, such as French, or to sing it. This reroutes your thinking down a different neural pathway and clears the block. Since my French vocabulary is minimal, I'm not able to say how well this works.

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 8:51 am

I might be posting something about stammering later, so let me try my best to help. I used to stammer often, then my mum advised me to speak at a slower pace. Since then, I hardly stammer. Nowadays, I only stammer if I'm extremely stressed out.

MetalAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2011, 2:34 pm

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
I have a tendency to think of two synonyms and try to say both at once. My brain goes faster than my mouth.

I don't tend to stutter most of the time, but when I'm nervous or stressed I can lose all ability to speak. I find telephone calls particularly arduous. My best approach is usually to give in to insanity and make a joke out of the whole thing; hey, if I'm dying on stage anyway, what's the worst that can happen? Usually your audience will respond well to it!

Yeah, I don't think peers are going to get creeped out if you say "f**k, I can't even talk right now. My brain is dead"...I know lots of NT people who do the same thing when they're tired, stressed or overwhelmed.

As for speech techniques, practicing talking in front of mirrors helps. I also practice tones, facial expressions and mannerisms in front of mirrors so I don't come off so monotone and awkward. Because it's not always what you say, it's how you say it.