Best way to get different phone from wireless provider?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

houseofpanda
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2012, 11:11 pm

Hello. I've been with the same wireless provider for 1 1/2 years in the U.S. and recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S3 from a Droid phone. My Droid phone had perfect reception with at least 3 to 5 bars in the house (not talking about 3G/4GLTE which both do well.) But the Galaxy S3 - in my home at least - gets 0 to 2 bars in the house. I didn't do any business at home for the first two weeks I had the phone, just texting friends and doing internet stuff, so I didn't find out how bad the reception was until the dropped calls to the IRS started. That was about 4 days after the time frame I'm allotted to return the phone for a restocking fee. (And IMO 14 days to know if your super-complex smart phone is a dud is just not enough time. It should be at least a month.)

Now I own a $200 white brick. Any advice how to get my provider to do something about this? I've tried starting threads on their website but all the fanboys jump down my throat and "put me in my place." I want STRATEGY. I realize that I will be paying the provider roughly $2,400 over the next two years, or I could cancel for about $350 and go with a different provider. That's kind of where my head is at strategy-wise (pointing out how much money they'll lose if I walk,) but a friend of mine suggests I play dumb and just call them a lot and whine in a friendly "oh please help me" sort of way.

I just now realized that my Aspie site might be the best possible place to get advice! Chances are, someone here knows EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING!

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. My service provider did tell me (on day 18 ) that the reason for the drop in coverage is because the Galaxy S3 has a weaker antenna in it than other phones. It seems to be a common issue with Samsung phones from what I've read online since.

The 'easy' solution requires that I come up with $250 for a "network extender" that plugs into my home's wifi. I don't want to spend anodther $250 on a phone that should work AS A PHONE first and foremost. It's sad when a pre-paid flip-phone I got as a hand-me-down in 2004 had solid reception back then, but the biggest, baddest phone (currently) on the planet can't place a call from the same location. Okay now I'm just bitching....

betrayedbymyown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2012, 10:07 pm

so the issue is not that that particular phone is a dud (in which case you would get a replacement phone under warranty) but that the entire model of phone is a dud?

maybe it is possible for them to transfer your contract to a different model of phone with a better antenna, without it costing anybody an arm and a leg.

houseofpanda
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2012, 7:37 pm

betrayedbymyown wrote:
so the issue is not that that particular phone is a dud (in which case you would get a replacement phone under warranty) but that the entire model of phone is a dud?

maybe it is possible for them to transfer your contract to a different model of phone with a better antenna, without it costing anybody an arm and a leg.

Well that's the IDEA. That's ultimately what I'd want at the end of the day. But how to go about doing this?

The company has expressed no interest in working with me at this point. They just got me for a brand new 2-yr contract, $200 owed on the new phone, and a new cancellation fee of $350 looming in my mind. So they're in that f**k You - Pay Me sort of mode where they don't HAVE to try. How do I make them try? Top two ideas I have is actually throwing money figures at them (reminding them if I cancel for $350 I'll A.) NEVER be back, and B.) they'll lose out on over $2,000 from losing my business) but this idea can be dangerous and backfire, I think. The other is to just call and nag all the time; play the stupid customer who doesn't "get" the problem but can't seem to stop calling about it.

Or any other ideas....

Bums me out. I really like this phone except for the STARTLINGLY HUGE FLAW. It's like falling in love with a woman - the perfect woman - only to find out she's secretly a mushroom. I just can't marry a mushroom.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

14 Aug 2012, 7:52 pm

What provider do you have?

betrayedbymyown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2012, 12:55 pm

maybe recheck the fineprint? because maybe the 14 days only applies if you are returning the phone just for the hell of it, just because you don't like it. but in this case, it has taken just over the 14 days to find that they are not delivering the service you are paying for, i.e. phone reception, so the 14 days shouldn't apply. if their fineprint doesn't turn up anything in your favour, then maybe try talking to whatever the equivalent is over there of the office of fair trading or whatever. they might not be able to help directly, but would at least have sound advice as to what you can or should do.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 2:36 pm

If the handset meets its manufacturer's specification then you're stuffed. I'm aware the previous device was better but indoor coverage is dodgy full stop, as a rule of thumb. It won't be enough to get you out of your contract. Try doing a manual network selection: Menu->settings->wireless & networks->mobile networks->network mode (GSM only)->select (unsuported) network->then select (your) network. That tends to work. Try removing the battery whilst the device is turned on. These things will help find a stronger signal