Is anyone here interested in Ancient Egypt?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Draco5832000
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Mar 2005, 1:20 pm

Not the gothic view of Egypt, but the scholar's view.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2005, 1:42 pm

I'm quite interested in Achenaton and Tutankhamun.

I saw the Tutankhamun treasure in the Cairo museum. What struck me is that as I went around the museum I saw all the treasure and mummies of other kings and queens and I thought how fantastic they were.

~ and then I went into the Tutankhamun room and nothing could have prepared me for the beauty of the treasure there, there is a world of difference between that and the other stuff.

I particularly liked the gold sarcophagus which was laying on its back in a glass case. I was very nearly moved to tears and when I looked up everyone else was aghast and stunned into silence. This was a special time for me and one of the only times I have actually felt I shared an experience with other people.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2005, 1:50 pm

If you were awed by Tutenkamen, then look up
ancient egypts link to alchemical arts. Alchemists
were a branch of people who borrowed from the
Phenocians, Egyptians, and mathimaticians of the
middle east, ect...There is beauty in what they
say in this AS type of communication, so I am
not surprised you have discovered it's delights
(Tutenkamen, and perhaps later Alchemy)

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2005, 1:50 pm

I love reading about Ancient Egypt, Rome and Greece and the mythology of that time.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2005, 4:11 pm

I always find ancient history fascinating, and the Egyptians especially. Some of their creation myths in particular were interesting and just a little, shall we say, lurid for this forum..... Strictly Adults only...... :wink: And you don't even want to know where they thought night and day came from.... :oops:

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2005, 4:47 pm

I like reading about Egyptian technology...

Very interesting... how they planned and designed pyramids or how they made papyrus...

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2005, 4:56 pm

Feste-Fenris wrote:
I like reading about Egyptian technology...

Very interesting... how they planned and designed pyramids or how they made papyrus...

....or how they didn't plan the pyramids - it seems they actually stumbled on the formula for building them completely via a series of trial and error (the bent pyramid and all that).

Draco5832000

28 Mar 2005, 6:38 pm

Wow! Wonderful.

But, you've actualy been to Egypt, Asparval? :o

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2005, 11:54 pm

National Geographic has an awesome article on Abydos. They discovered the oldest known boats there and they are now theorizing that Egyptians engaged in human sacrifice, which was previously discounted.

Great article, I would check it out.

I was a huge Egyptologist in 7th grade. It was my obsession and I read everything I could get my hands on....if there would been have such a thing as the internet back then, I would have been in heaven. I am so old. :cry:

Tallgirl.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2005, 4:24 am

Quote:
But, you've actualy been to Egypt, Asparval?

Yes! The Cairo museum was a highlight but also I went inside the Great Pyramid of Cheops and the tombs in the Valley of the Kings.

The best tomb was that of Tuthmosis the 3rd ~ in the bottom chamber the whole ceiling was deep blue and decorated with stars.

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2005, 12:08 pm

Asparval wrote:
The best tomb was that of Tuthmosis the 3rd ~ in the bottom chamber the whole ceiling was deep blue and decorated with stars.

Thats probably because Thutmosis III lead Egypt to its greatest expansion of borders. Under Egypt controlled more territory than ever.

Ahkenaton, started a new religion worshiping one God, possibly the first to do so on a government level. Even some biblical passages can be attributed to him as they are written in an older form in the City he built to worship the one god. His son was Tutenkhamen, who was believed to have been murdered by the high priest, Ei (not sure of spelling), who then married then supposedly killed Tut's wife. Which is why Tut is so young, he may have wanted to continue Ahkenaton's monotheistic legacy. Ahkenaton probably did this because he felt like an outsider in his own kingdom. Statues portray a supposedly realistic image of him and he looks somewhat deformed in shape compared to other Egyptians. This may have been an inspiration to Moses as this occured a few hundred years before the time of Moses in around the 1600's B.C.E.

I also like the inventor of the Pyramids. It was not as accidental as you think Tafkash. It evolved from the older Mastabas and was built up from adding them together by Imhotep. The first Pyramids were larger and stacked Mastabas, called the step pyramids. Some of the early Pyramids, after that, were simply too steep, like the Bent Pyramid. It was corrected later at the optimum angle.

Supposedly there was a Real Scorpion King, who united Upper Egypt which is near the Border of Ethiopia. He is credited with, among other things, creating and unifying an alphabet and number system.

The Ethiopians copied the Egyptians and built hundreds of smaller and steeper Pyramids, many of which are still around. The Ethiopians even once conquered Egypt and ruled as Pharohs for a bit.

Sorry if im rambling, I do that sometimes.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2005, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Ahkenaton, started a new religion worshiping one God, possibly the first to do so on a government level. Even some biblical passages can be attributed to him as they are written in an older form in the City he built to worship the one god.

That's right ~ It's really interesting. I think there are some parallels between Ahkenaton and Moses.

Draco5832000

30 Mar 2005, 7:24 pm

No, no... I don't think it would be Moses... I think it would be JOSEPH. Remember the story?

I think, asparval, that is wonderful that you have been to Egypt. My best friend lives in Cairo, and I wish more than anything to visit.

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2005, 2:24 am

If it was Joseph, then it would be an older inspiration draco and could still influence Moses, as it was Joseph that brought the jews to Egypt and Moses that led them back out.

Draco5832000

31 Mar 2005, 7:49 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I'm thinking that the pharaoh dealing with moses was not for the 'one god' but the pharaoh of Joseph was in high favor with him and his god... he may have tried to continue it not nessisarily understanding.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2005, 1:30 am

But Moses himself was Egyptian and became influenced into believing in one god through being brought up by the captive Isrelites.