Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 12:35 pm

I used to be a white american, but i gave it up in the best interest of humanity.
A

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 1:12 pm

axelkat wrote:
I used to be a white american, but i gave it up in the best interest of humanity.
A

Being white or being American? 8O

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 3:05 pm

both
A

ed
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 5:25 pm

The point of the article is that it can be used to imprison kids with AS who don't behave like your typical NT. I think that's a bad thing. I seem to be part of a very small minority.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2005, 6:07 pm

i think its bad too
A

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2005, 4:43 am

axelkat wrote:
both
A

How? The American bit I can understand but how do you stop being white? (Well other than suntan or -burn!)

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2005, 5:39 am

To my UK friends:

First off, I am not against the idea of ASBOs as long as they are used for their intended purpose which is to control anti-social behavior. I think they would a great idea to take care of the problem of bullying in school (although I would wager that if one was brought against a bully, the whole system would be taken out immediately).

My concern however is that they can be used to circumvent the judicial process and certain laws. For an example, say a landlord wants to get rid of a tenant with AS but cannot do so because the tenant has basically followed the rules and is up to date with their rent payments. All the landlord would have to do in this case is file for an ASBO using the behavior of the tenant that would otherwise be rule abiding. If the landlord was successful, they would be successful in circumventing the fair housing laws and at less expense.

I think the idea is rife with abuse and if its use is to be continued, then there should be a watchdog (third party) to make sure that abuses are not happening.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2005, 6:02 am

I would tend to agree with that.

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2005, 6:33 am

I say that instead of ASBOs just bring back the birch and have the community beat the living daylights out of the chav scum until they are bleeding to death on the pavement, choking on all the fatty excrement that they feast upon!! !! And only give ASBOs/birch beatings to chavs! I enjoy hating people.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2005, 6:57 am

Quote:
say a landlord wants to get rid of a tenant with AS but cannot do so because the tenant has basically followed the rules and is up to date with their rent payments

They wouldn't be able to get an ASBO against them. Usually a tenacy agreement will contain conditions like "not cause a nuisance to neighbours" or "not allow their dog to foul the garden". ASBOs may also cover these things if they are excessive and persistant. But what they can't be used for is evicting some one whose bhaviour is simply different. When the Anti-Social Behaviour Order was written, Anti-Social doesn't include not being chatty with the landlord, it covers behaviours that specifically cause significant distress to other people.

Maybe someone could be evicted for something like repeated banging against a wall late at night, if it dosturbs the neighbours, but thet would be covered in a tenancy agreement anyway.

See this: http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs/asbocont.html

Specifically also: http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs/asboape.html

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2005, 9:05 am

ljbouchard wrote:
My concern however is that they can be used to circumvent the judicial process and certain laws. For an example, say a landlord wants to get rid of a tenant with AS but cannot do so because the tenant has basically followed the rules and is up to date with their rent payments. All the landlord would have to do in this case is file for an ASBO using the behavior of the tenant that would otherwise be rule abiding. If the landlord was successful, they would be successful in circumventing the fair housing laws and at less expense.

Erm... could you give me one good reason why the landlord would WANT to get rid of the tenant?

IF he has paid his rent and IF he has followed all the rules and IF he is nice and considerate to his neighbours, then nobody has any reason to kick him out.

If he DOESN'T pay the rent or follow the rules, you don't need an ASBO to kick him out for breach of contract.

And if he DOESN'T act with consideration etc. (for example makes noise, attacks, abuses property and neighbours etc.) whether or not he has Asperger's does NOT matter, the landlord or the neighbours can get an ASBO against him REGARDLESS, simply because the guy behaved ANTISOCIALLY.

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2005, 9:46 am

That is precisely what I wanted to say, but managed not to! Thanks Noetic!

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2005, 10:06 am

Noetic wrote:
axelkat wrote:
both
A

How? The American bit I can understand but how do you stop being white? (Well other than suntan or -burn!)

I stop looking at myself as a certain race.
A

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2005, 10:18 am

Or, as well as not considering yourself as a member of a race, you could just go deep within your mind and discover the truth of the universe and become one with it, therefore transcending race, creed and humanity to achieve greater enlightenment. But just do not copy Michael Jackson.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2005, 10:40 am

I would never in my right mind get plastic surgery and my voice is much more like Barry White. What Iam saying is that iam rising above the BS that society uses to label people.
A

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2005, 12:53 pm

axelkat wrote:
Noetic wrote:
axelkat wrote:
both
A

I stop looking at myself as a certain race.
A

Good attitude :)

(Sorry I guess I was just a bit too literal when reading your post!)

Thankfully I went without awareness of race and religious stereotypes until I became old enough to see through them and never got round to adopting any of them :)