Do you ever have a meltdown for seemingly no reason?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:18 pm

My understanding was that during a meltdown, a person's behaviour is completely out of their control.

I don't know the exact defining features of a meltdown. I struggle to distinguish them from outbursts of anger or periods of distress (which everybody experiences to varying degrees) without the aspect of complete overload.

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:05 am

From time to time I feel irrational urges like savage anger, apparently for no reason. My thoughts race, I curse, and go over everything I hate about the world. Thankfully they last only a couple of minutes, yet the intensity varies depending on my current mood.

Last edited by Matthaeus on 19 Nov 2014, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ForeignObject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Nov 2014, 9:05 am

Matthaeus wrote:
From time to time I feel irrational urges like savage anger, apparently for no reason. My thoughts race, I curse, and go over everything I hate about the world. Thankfully they last only a couple of minutes, yet the intensity varies depending on my current mood.

I'll be in a happy mood, then all of a sudden, I'll think of something negative out of nowhere and get mad. Mine last a lot longer than yours until I get to my boiling point and I think of nice things out of nowhere and are back at square one again.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 9:49 am

Well my second son seems to get meltdowns for no reason all the time. I'm sure most of them do have reasons but we just didn't know and he of course wouldn't tell. I only had meltdowns before age 8, and some of them seemed to have no reason or just a tiny trigger. For example someone touched my head without my approval. :) At age 8 my personality went through a drastic change. I went from an introverted feeler to an extroverted thinker. Nowadays I hardly remember what angry feels like. I'm not counting on my son going through similar change. I just hope he'll develop more coping strategies and be able to tell us what's wrong.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 4:01 pm

dianthus wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
What ended up calming me down was when I spilled all 525 cotton swabs from a newly opened package all over the floor (oddly enough). I needed to put them back, but they wouldn't fit in the package unless I put them back all lined up like they were before I spilled them, I couldn't just throw them in (I didn't really want to do that anyway). So I put them back in one by one. I don't know how long it took me to do that, but it was a while, and after about 5 minutes of it I noticed that I felt calm again.

That's exactly the kind of thing that will sometimes calm me down too.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing which would calm me down.

Most of the time, there is a specific trigger for my meltdowns. It's usually something ridiculously petty or stupid, but it doesn't occur in a vacuum: there will have been stress building up to it for weeks beforehand.

But I had an extreme meltdown today while driving, which I found terrifying and still can't really explain. I absolutely had to make an appointment for 12:15pm in a town I'd never been to before. I took a wrong turning at a roundabout where I should really have known better (because I was still in familiar territory, but obviously not familiar enough) and ended up on a dual carriageway and having to make a lengthy detour. I just flipped out. I truly was not safe to be driving for 5-10 minutes. I'm not proud of that one and it very rarely happens, but I wish it didn't happen, ever.

Ironically enough I was on my way to a speed awareness course... :roll:

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2014, 6:24 pm

My meltdowns/shutdowns always have triggers but they tend to be silly ones and the real reason seem to be building on underneath for long before the trigger ticks.

For example today apparently the trigger was a animation in the game I play. I have seen it before and it didn't bother me but today I got overwhelmed by it. It was something that had to be used and it was just ugly - pink lights and flames randomly moving all over my screen. I had to control my character to kill monsters around it... well, in fact I didn't have to because my team members were doing the killing fast enough but I couldn't stand being useless. I spent in a shutdown mode about 20 minutes afterward.

But the real reason was not the animation. It was just a trigger which caused me to get hit by all the stress accumulated.

I felt like I was running out of time.

Tomorrow I have my cram school - that I can't decide if I should go or not. I have no idea how the lesson would look like. We have all exams finished except a big one - in 2 months. Tomorrow are the last lesson before 2 months break. We are probably going to have a preparation for the big exam but I hate the exam and only thinking about it makes me stressed out. I am planning to study for it a week before and then forget all. I honesty don't want to think about it now. It's scary. And I don't know anything yet. What if they do a "preparation exam"? I am going to fail it because I haven't learned anything yet. I am afraid of failing anything, even if it won't affect my grades.
Also, the lesson is with a teacher I hate. I simply can't understand what he says. He uses really hard words and doesn't care that noone understand him. Last time I yelled at him because I couldn't stand it anymore. I told him that if noone can understand him there must be a problem with him and not us. Whole class laughed at me and teacher told me "I can have a problem with him if I want". He is scary.
And also, I would have to wake up really early in the morning which means I won't be able to do my evening routine (anime - special interest).
And in the game I play(Perfect World - special interest since 2006) I realized I forgot to do some important quests that due time was ending tomorrow so I spent 5h on them, being in a hurry.
And thats not everything. I also wanted to get on chat today but I couldn't find time which makes me uneasy. 2 days ago I suddenly decided to practice my social skills by using Internet chat and it instantly got into obsession stage that often leads to special interest. If thats the case... The transmissions always give me a hard time, the moment when I have more than 2 interests is really hard, even 2 is often too much so when 3rd one comes I boil. If the chat really become one I will have to give up on of the current ones soon or else I won't be able to stand it - day is too short to participate in all. I wonder whats going to loose - anime or the game? Or maybe both? Or perhaps the chat won't stand their competition? :roll:

Smoke152
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2014, 7:12 pm

Yeah I almost cried in school today, just started panicing, went outside and I was better after a while, this happens to me a lot, mostly when I'm around a lot of people, like school, mall, gym, but after I was good again I can talk to people etc, I don't know if this is social phobia/anxiety or something else, it's weird. Sometimes I have super confidence and other times I'm really shy/can't talk. Why is that? if anyone can relate or knows what mental disorder that is.

Smoke152
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2014, 7:20 pm

Smoke152 wrote:
Yeah I almost cried in school today, just started panicing, went outside and I was better after a while, this happens to me a lot, mostly when I'm around a lot of people, like school, mall, gym, but after I was good again I can talk to people etc, I don't know if this is social phobia/anxiety or something else, it's weird. Sometimes I have super confidence and other times I'm really shy/can't talk. Why is that? if anyone can relate or knows what mental disorder that is.

...and my emotions get really intense, when someone says something "funny" I smile super hard and cant calm my face muscles, or when I get happy, I'm really happy, same with being sad. Not like this all the time, it's pretty much random. I used to freak out more when I was younger, but still happens, and its annoying.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2014, 4:15 am

Aren't outbursts a form of a meltdown? That is what I have read on here while back and my husband said the same.

Panic attacks are something like short of breath, chest pains, dizziness so I believe these don't occur during a meltdown.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.