Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GizmoGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2008, 4:19 pm

I do bowling for the special olympics.im on a team..its really fun and you meet new people and make friends :D

~"S&M is an art. Doing it well requires more than a bag full of expensive whips and ropes, a closet full of fetish clothes, or a basement filled with bondage furniture." De Sade~

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:42 pm

The United Sports thing would probably be good as I'm probably too independent to qualify as an athlete. I may volunteer the next time there's a local event.

Rocketv8
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2008, 6:53 pm

I have Asperger's and I compete in the special olympics (as a coach).

I coach but there is a category for unified teams which consist of a team of half coaches and half athletes. Each state and city may be a little different, but it is a way to compete as a "coach" and not as someone with "asperger's". I have been playing softball on a unified team for almost 10 years and I have loved it.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 11:04 pm

I was in Rochester NY for the Head of the Genesee (rowing) this year, and as it turns out the special olympics were in town the same weekend. I wouldn't qualify as an athelete but it'd be funny if i did. i could race, then go compete, then do my other two races the next day, then compete.

volunteering would be interesting but i don't know about special olympics in canada, they don't seem as prevalent than in the states, if they exist at all. I've volunteered to help special needs kids integrate into group settings though (like a day camp, swimming lessons, etc) and helped an autistic child. that was a very interesting experience because it was my first exposure to autism.