Calling your phone connection provider.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2018, 12:18 pm

I have a huge issue with this. I was recently screwed around by two very popular UK phone companies, and I'm still having issues with them.

I absolutely HATE calling people or companies on the phone, as it's such a weird situation for me. I never know when to talk or when to stop talking, and I also have a hard time processing what people are saying to me through the phone as I'm trying to think about what I'm going to say next WHILST listening to them. It also really doesn't help that most of the time, the operators have very thick accents. I'm also constantly trying to monitor myself to make sure I don't come across blunt or rude, as apparently I have an issue with that despite not actually trying to be rude.

Sometimes I don't know if what the operator is saying is a question or a statement. The whole thing is just so difficult and weird for me, to the point where I actually prefer to let people screw me over instead of me phoning up to fix it.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 12:22 pm

It may not be you. Our latest phone system makes it impossible to talk "properly." The delays added by the digital system usually result in someone cutting someone off all the time. It worked just fine before.

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Nov 2018, 1:05 pm

What I've learned from calling my phone provider is that in foreign countries, it's customary to:
- cut people off when they're talking
- tell them you can definitely help them with their concerns and then don't help them at all
- call everyone sir
- wait until the other person starts talking, then start talking yourself
- if someone catches you in a lie, deny it until you die
- check to make sure the account looks correct when you were asked something completely unrelated to the account
- when someone asks you a question which requires a simple yes or no answer, you give them an explanation for 3 minutes
- implement an automated system which asks you for your account number, then have the agent ask for it again when they answer
- tell someone you're putting them on a brief hold, then disappear for 12 minutes
- if you're dealing with a customer that has a question which is too hard for you to figure out, hang up and pretend you got disconnected

Any time I call, it involves 45 minutes of trying to get them to understand my problem, 5 minutes of trying to fix it and then telling me they can't do anything about it.