Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 2:43 pm

Volkswagon has apologized for posting a racist video promoting its new Golf 8 on the company's official Instagram page.

The clip( now withdrawn) showed a oversized white hand pushing a black man away from a parked VW Golf8 ,before flicking him in a restaurant called little Colonist.

Jurgen Stackman head of sales apologized for the video and said they were outraged and understand the public's outrage,because we are horrified too,he said.

The company was founded in 1937 under the Nazi regime and used slave labor to build vehicles in it's early years.

Last year Volkswagon apologized for saying Ebits sets you free which is similar the the phrase "Arbeit macht frei" which is inscribed on the gates of Auschwitz concentration camp,which means "work sets you free"

Volkswagon in 2017 had a commercial that equated women with used cars.

I think VW needs a new marketing team,you think.

CNN.com

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 4:11 pm

Do you have the phone number for their marketing or HR department? I have an idea aimed to leave animal rights people outraged. It involves shooting gerbils out of the tailpipes of cars to show how powerful the engine is. I think they will go for it.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 6:37 pm

If it was a white hand flicking a white guy or a black hand flicking a white guy. Would it been ok?

If we are supoose or not he racist and see all humans as same despite color of their skin we need to not get upset over this stuff and make everything about color.

Saying you can do such and such using black actors is racist. So if it’s not the act of a hand flicking a person people are offended about those upset are just as racist.

I wouldn’t been offended by this commercial by sounds if it other then it being stupid.

Black, white, Asia, Hispanic, people are people.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 6:46 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
Do you have the phone number for their marketing or HR department? I have an idea aimed to leave animal rights people outraged. It involves shooting gerbils out of the tailpipes of cars to show how powerful the engine is. I think they will go for it.

The opposite of Richard Gere?

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 6:52 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

The opposite of Richard Gere?

We can add him into my commercial idea. It will kill two birds with one stone. It will piss off the animal rights and LGBTQ community.

Thanks for the input Tim.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 8:59 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:

I wish I did have the number,I think the gerbil idea would sell many cars.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 10:47 pm

It might help if the OP posts a link to the ad via youtube?

I watched the ad and agree with one of the black commenters that I have no frigging idea what this ad is even trying to tell me.

I never detected racism? people perhaps seeing things that weren't mean't to be there?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 12:03 am

The spot was all of ten seconds long. Its contained within this guy's Utube Vlog.

I was wondering WTF you all meant by "flicking" a person (like is that some hipster slang for giving someone the finger, or what?). But no...they distort the sizes so the White guy's giant hand literally flicks the whole Black guy like the later is a spit ball.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 12:38 am

Bravo5150 wrote:

Why cast a narrow net at only fringe animal rights activist when you go for mass un-appeal with a wide net?

Have the VW golf's exhaust pipe hooked up to a sealed room full of live kittens and puppies. And then show how powerful the VW Golf is by showing how fast its engine can gas to death a whole room of kittens and puppies. :D

That way they can offend mainstream animal lovers and pet owners, AND remind folks of the Holocaust! VW will love it.

OH! And don't forget our free gift. Visit your nearest VW dealership today, and we will give you a free spray bottle of VW brand auto upholstery cleaner! Its so good at cleaning vinyl surfaces that we at VW call it "the Vinyl Solution"! :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 12:59 am

^^^very swiftian of you 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 1:12 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The spot was all of ten seconds long. Its contained within this guy's Utube Vlog.

I was wondering WTF you all meant by "flicking" a person (like is that some hipster slang for giving someone the finger, or what?). But no...they distort the sizes so the White guy's giant hand literally flicks the whole Black guy like the later is a spit ball.

those supposed "coincidences" remind me of an old ian fleming quote, “Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.” at best, the commercial is using dog whistles to say "where's the flit?" at worst, its creators or its editors are using the example of upwardly aspiring lower-middle-class white bread folks [desired entry level market of the golf 8] to indicate the desire to attain more middle class "cred" as a kind of marketing tool, incidentally as an indictment of german market black folk in general not being widely seen as sufficiently "middle class." either its creator was not too intelligent, or its creator deemed the target demographic as not too intelligent, IMHO.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 7:06 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

Why cast a narrow net at only fringe animal rights activist when you go for mass un-appeal with a wide net?

Have the VW golf's exhaust pipe hooked up to a sealed room full of live kittens and puppies. And then show how powerful the VW Golf is by showing how fast its engine can gas to death a whole room of kittens and puppies. :D

That way they can offend mainstream animal lovers and pet owners, AND remind folks of the Holocaust! VW will love it.

OH! And don't forget our free gift. Visit your nearest VW dealership today, and we will give you a free spray bottle of VW brand auto upholstery cleaner! Its so good at cleaning vinyl surfaces that we at VW call it "the Vinyl Solution"! :D

Because of two things, A, I am not as certain on how to make the room full of kittens and puppies part of testing the the cars performance; B, as Tim pointed out about Richard gere, you could elaborate on the gerbil idea so that after the gerbil is fired out of the tail pipe it enters a contraption so it enters Mr gere's anal cavity and the charred fur ignites a pocket of methane in his colon and causes a massive explosion.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 7:50 am

I'll have to join in with the people saying "I have no idea what this commercial is even trying to say". "Silly black man, you can't use the new VW!"? What was the intended punchline here?

Also, to the people discussing various anal shenanigans; an alternative reading of the restaurant name ("Petit Colon") is "small bowel", which just adds another level of wtf to this thing.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 7:56 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
I'll have to join in with the people saying "I have no idea what this commercial is even trying to say". "Silly black man, you can't use the new VW!"? What was the intended punchline here?

Also, to the people discussing various anal shenanigans; an alternative reading of the restaurant name ("Petit Colon") is "small bowel", which just adds another level of wtf to this thing.

I will look at their menu. It give some good ideas of what to eat for a week before the exploding gas pocket commercial.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 7:59 am

Wolfram87 wrote:

I was wondering that too. IF the word "colon" might mean the same thing that does in English. Lol!