anyone else not have just one special interest?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

old_comedywriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2020, 8:33 pm

When I was a teenager, I made sure my interests were diversified. I had no idea of autism or Asperger's back then, but somehow I knew I needed to do that.

Dreamtastic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2020, 7:36 pm

Rather than having just one or two special interests throughout the course of my life, mine sort of come and go. For a period ranging anywhere from a day to a month or more, I might be completely obsessed with something and want to learn absolutely everything I can about it, sometimes even over and over again. While something is a special interest, it is often all I will want to talk about when having a conversation with someone. But while my special interests can be all-absorbing for the period of time they last, they often mysteriously disappear without warning. I've had more of them during my life than I can count!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 5:28 am

One of my special interests is human psychology.
One of my major enjoyments is creating jokes. :wink:

And one more thing,

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)

GameCube
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2020, 1:16 am

I feel the same way, I have a lot of special interests. I like learning/making music, creating art, researching different marketing and advertising campaigns, collecting and playing vintage video games, and being outside in nature. My main interests taking up most of my time right now include digital artwork and photography.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

04 Jul 2020, 12:01 am

I have lots of areas that could be called special interests, but most of them are probably more "hyperfixations" and not true, all-encompassing special interests. I consider my true special interests to be the three things that really define me as a person and are at the core of my being (science, I Love Lucy, and Cedar Point and their roller coasters). And with all of my hyperfixations/special interests, I always hone in on certain things more obsessively within said interest. Honestly, I don't know of anyone on the spectrum who has one singular special interest. Maybe a singular topic, but you can always branch out from there, like CockneyRebel mentioned with the '60s.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 5:51 pm

Personally, I have a few special interests that go along the lines of:

* Artificial Intelligence TECH.
* Environmental concerns.
* Environmental practices esp. innovative waste recycling processes.
* Sustainable business/environmental practices.
* Modern Art.

I had searched, and located several examples combining (all of the above) special interests with such keywords as - 'Artificial Intelligence' 'Circular Economy' 'Recycling.'

The best examples I've found where operations in parts of Europe, and Scandinavia -as these regions are "ahead of the curve" on waste handling, and even incineration as options to minimize the use of landfills.

After viewing images of a few of these operations, some of these facilities make awesome modern art examples.

Couldn't quite decide an example link to provide. Following link incorporates most of my special interests:

Decentralized AI Blockchain App for Recyclables:
https://www.solidwastemag.com/product/d ... cyclables/

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 6:18 pm

I currently have 3 vying for my attention. The game Animal Crossing: New Horizons, the song “Sober” by Tool, and the Pokémon Nihilego.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

When you assume, it makes an a** out of u and me.

I have increasing memory issues, and a tendency to forget that I forget everything. Please don't take it personally if I forget something, it probably says absolutely nothing about how important the thing is/isn’t to me.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 6:50 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:

* Modern Art.

I had searched, and located several examples combining (all of the above) special interests with such keywords as - 'Artificial Intelligence' 'Circular Economy' 'Recycling.'

The best examples I've found where operations in parts of Europe, and Scandinavia -as these regions are "ahead of the curve" on waste handling, and even incineration as options to minimize the use of landfills.

After viewing images of a few of these operations, some of these facilities make awesome modern art examples.

Couldn't quite decide an example link to provide. Following link incorporates most of my special interests:

ADDENDUM: LINK Story: "Here's How a Circular Economy Could Save the World" National Geographic Magazine - Subscription required to view story online.
LINK: https://thecirculareconomy.com/2020/03/ ... the-world/

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 7:51 pm

Always.

They all go deep but they can't all receive focus all at the same time. That said, they always remain latent. I can't just read one dinosaur article on Wikipedia even though it's been 25 years since dinosaurs were a main interest of mine.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 6:35 am

quote="mb3258a"]I have a good list of things I am deeply interested in, but if I had to put one "label" on it all, I would say my special interest is simply learning. I learn all kinds of things (hobbies, skills, how things work, and general research on things I find interesting) but the things I learn are vastly different from one another. This really does put a hole in the stereotype that autistics have a "restricted" set of interests - so much so that I've had clinicians say I wasn't autistic because of it (that, and I'm a female rolls eyes). My interests don't feel restricted at all, though I do still obsess over them. Anyone else feel the same?[/quote] Oof WP deleted my original post
Nonono, You only have one singular lifelong interest preferably something cliche like trains :steam_locomotive:
:lol:

Okay but on a serious note its very important to distinguish special interests and interests. Special interests tend to be pervasive. They can take over aspects of your entire life and at times it can be difficult to tell the difference between where your special interests ends and where your personality. I also think part of it is that our special interests shape and are shaped by our personality. You see most of my longterm special interests had to do with water. You might have shorter span obsessions you hope to and fro every so often. I do this occasionally might find something on youtube watch like 20 hours worth of it. Then later I get refered to a similar video and it just isn't the same might be like that. Also, I don’t know if there is a hard limit to how many special interests you can have, but find it a bit farfetched that you can have the passion and deeply intimate, even obsessive In over five or so subjects at once. Idk maybe its like you swap them out periodically [/color]

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 4:13 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

* Modern Art.

ADDENDUM: LINK Story: "Here's How a Circular Economy Could Save the World" National Geographic Magazine - Subscription required to view story online.
LINK: https://thecirculareconomy.com/2020/03/ ... the-world/

ADDENDUM #2: On the modern-art aspect of my special interests discussed in my posts: Some people view (or do not view) the Copenhill waste-to-energy plant in Denmark (LINK) as an example of modern art and design. In short, is it art? Answer: Some people say 'Yes', and some people say 'No' - I tend to agree!!
LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amager_Bakke

Ihavestandardsjust
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2020, 4:31 pm

Several different things at once but my main special interest is Stadiums.

FoxesSchmoxes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jul 2020, 5:55 pm

Yep! I have two main ones (foxes and Keith Green, the latter one being a little bit more intense), and a few others that I'm also into, but don't think about them nearly as much. For me, over time my interests have gotten longer. My first ever special interest lasted only a few months, my second lasted for 2 years, third for 4 years, and my current ones have lasted for almost a decade! :lol:

"For what profit is a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?" Luke 9:23-26

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 7:49 pm

Puzzles, which includes Humans. These apply to many serial SIs. My mom said when I was five months old I could sit by myself for hours, stacking and unstacking rings. I did jigsaw puzzles and mazes throughout my teens. I took many drama, psychology and communication classes (not required for my engineering degree) as I reached my 20s. My job is a puzzle, so that's every day and I am borderline workaholic b/c of it. Recently I spent two months obsessed with genealogy, then abruptly switched to LEGOs, just as well as I need to be finding a new job, not absorbed in a SI. If I could just make the job search my SI -or home repair, I'd be set. I also do lots of research and talk a lot about "this study" and "that study" related to human behavior and development. So I have many, many interests and they are "restrictive" when I need to be doing other things. Doesn't my Alsatian 5G grandma Kunigunda take priority over finding a healthy workplace?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 8:08 pm

Yes, my "special interests" are diverse and fluid enough to make me wonder what's so restrictive and repetitive about them.

The main one - music - isn't even eccentric in character. The most eccentric part of that was years ago when I figured out how to turn a domestic tape recorder into a multi-track recording machine, but even that was more to do with necessity than eccentricity or restriction of interest. I just couldn't afford to buy one and I couldn't afford to pay for professional studio time. The venture was ASD-related in that I wasn't getting very far by playing music with other people - they just weren't perfectionist enough and couldn't see the standards I was so interested in attaining, so I figured I'd have to do it all myself. I didn't particularly want to spend months making studio equipment. And I would absolutely hate to close the door on the world of music collaboration and being in a band, so at the most I'd run the two things - a band and my home studio - side by side, with overlap.

There's been a lot of repetition, nerdy analytical behaviour, isolation, and obsession in most of the activities I've gone in for in my private life. I've never been sure whether it's mostly driven by ASD or just the result of my science career. I've always figured it to be a superior way of approaching life's problems and aspirations, and I feel sorry for the kind of people who wouldn't know how to (for example) fix a broken radio or calculate the dilution of plant food to use.

I can't even honestly say my "special interests" have done any great harm to the rest of my life. If I didn't have such a "sticky brain" then I wouldn't end up ignoring people so much, but I don't think it's any particular interest that my brain sticks on. It'll stick on anything I turn my mind to. I just get annoyed if I have to tear myself away from a task, because it seems to run against my nature - I'd much rather just get the thing done rather than have to deal with the inefficiency of resuming after an untimely interruption. These days I'm only too well aware how easily I can "go down a rabbit hole," so much so that a lot of the time when I'm "indulging" in an interest or task, it doesn't feel all that great, because I'm mindful that there are other (possibly important) things that aren't getting done.

I suppose my interests could be called circumscribed compared to the average person's interests, to a degree. There are many subjects popular with the mainstream that I have little or no interest in. Sport is a prime example. Yet even there, I'm interested in some aspects of it - the science of toning up the human body to perform a particular task as well as possible, for example. I just really like the idea of doing things extremely well.

All in all, I suspect that restricted, repetitive, steretyped interests aren't a primary feature of ASD, just that the brain wiring and life experiences tends to lead a lot of us into that, though not necessarily. Some of us adopt a much wider range of activities.

Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jul 2020, 5:00 am

Just one at a time, but they've changed with the years. Usually they last between 3-10 years each.