Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Danusaurus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2020, 8:44 pm

Anyone else find it difficult to figure out if you're like, actually hungry and weather or not you actually have to go to the bathroom or not. I'm not sure if it's food allergy related but I'm probably the only person in the world whom their hunger button and toilet button doesn't work the best. I think most people who get hungry and need to pee don't seem to forget about it but if I don't immediately eat when I notice that I'm hungry it goes away and then I can't tell if I'm still hungry or not.. omg I'm so weird.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 9:04 pm

Well, I can say that you are not the only one. If left to my own devices, I typically won’t eat, and I only realize I need to pee once it’s become very urgent. I also have a brief window of time when I actually get the message that my body wants food, go past that time slot and the urge to eat goes away even if I’m presumably still hungry. No food allergies in my case.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

When you try to assume, it makes an a** out of u and me.

I have increasing memory issues, and a tendency to forget that I forget everything. Please don't take it personally if I forget something, it probably says absolutely nothing about how important the thing is/isn’t to me.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 9:36 pm

Not with hunger but with thirst. I don't feel it very strongly so I end up dehydrated by the time I actually do drink something.

Difficulty noticing bodily needs can be caused by issues with the interoceptive sense.

Danusaurus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2020, 11:54 pm

Thanks for your replies. Nice to know I'm not the only person who experience these things and good to have a space to be able to ask people without being made to feel like a loser or put down. In real life i wouldn't ever dare to ask or mention these feelings or thoughts because I'm ashamed. I'm learning so much about myself on here. Thanks again and who knew interoceptive sense was such a thing. Cool.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 1:07 am

Yes, and with my boys as well. My guess is that it is not uncommon at all

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 1:10 am

Danusaurus wrote:
Anyone else find it difficult to figure out if you're like, actually hungry and weather or not you actually have to go to the bathroom or not. I'm not sure if it's food allergy related but I'm probably the only person in the world whom their hunger button and toilet button doesn't work the best. I think most people who get hungry and need to pee don't seem to forget about it but if I don't immediately eat when I notice that I'm hungry it goes away and then I can't tell if I'm still hungry or not.. omg I'm so weird.

Ton's of people have problems with that on the spectrum. It's called being hyposenstiive to introspection. Though It seems like alot fo the senses can be different. At first I thought it was the adhd medicine. (which i have taken since a young age so) But now ti seems like it's neither. It's realyl easy for me to just ignore things like that.

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 6:47 am

If I feel engaged in a project, eating and drinking are distractions, and block the extra focus of a body going into emergency mode. Long ago, I learned to keep track of my water intake, because if I get dehydrated I just get depressed and can't figure out what the problem is for a day or so. Lately, I've been trying to impose regular meal times on myself as well and notice that they perk me up, even though I thought I needed a nap.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 1:10 pm

This is pretty common, lots has been written about it, so nothing to be overly concerned about. I’m definitely the same and regularly forget to eat if I become all absorbed in sewing, art, reading etc. For some of us, our intense focus overrides the bodily needs as we lose ourselves in our research, interests(I remember reading that Einstein regularly forgot to eat and drink due to his work/research), that he would grab a sausage to munch on and didn’t really look after himself too well.

Some children and adults on the spectrum don’t recognize or register the sensations and messages their body is sending, and can cause delays in toilet training for children and some people simply don’t manage to ever master recognition of these messages.

We can often misinterpret things like hunger or thirst, instead registering it as fatigue. Dehydration is a major cause of drowsiness, and if we all kept a water bottle by our sides, we’d likely notice a big difference in our energy levels.

INTJ185
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2020, 8:32 pm

I live alone so I've learned to realize that when it starts to get dark I should ask myself if I've eaten that day.

With this COVID situation, it's getting more difficult to remember if the meal I'm thinking of was today or yesterday. If I'm not sure, I check what dishes are in the sink or dish drainer. That usually reminds me. When I'm working at an office, I'm always hungry at lunch time and rarely work through lunch instead.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 9:23 pm

Yeah.. Must devekop routine n ppl to help structure/externalisé ..

I use my sons nurses right now they all have a routine n i sprinfboard off of tht .. Its a complicated thibg but my youngest brother has the best routine .. A ruls fr going to washeoom clothes washing etc.. Strict rules n routine tht nobofy can disti
Urb

lvpin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2020, 10:40 pm

Yh I have a lot of difficulty telling if I'm hungry sometimes. It changes a lot tho and is a bit random. I don't have the same problem when it comes to the need to go to the bathroom tho andI have it when it comes to drinking. I'm probably very dehydrated.

Danusaurus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2020, 11:18 pm

Dear_one wrote:
If I feel engaged in a project, eating and drinking are distractions, and block the extra focus of a body going into emergency mode. Long ago, I learned to keep track of my water intake, because if I get dehydrated I just get depressed and can't figure out what the problem is for a day or so. Lately, I've been trying to impose regular meal times on myself as well and notice that they perk me up, even though I thought I needed a nap.

Yeah that's pretty much me. I get depressed and it takes me a couple of days to get back on track if anything changes in my day even the slightest things like a bowl in the sink left dirty or I don't schedule for something days in advance I feel so overwhelmed like I'm going to die almost and my senses become all jumbled up and I am left not having any clue what I'm feeling about myself or anyone else. I am happy about having a friend though here where am staying but I'm exhausted and am trying to regroup my self . It's like for every time I go outside even for a cigarette or shopping especially. I need a few days alone to recover. I'm so exhausted and think I'm sad