How many family members am I gonna have to block...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 9:03 am

On Facebook I blocked three people that were harassing me and now a fourth person is too...
Anyway I talked to my supportive cousin and she says block anyone I have too...
But why do I still feel guilty over blocking family members...
It's frustrating!

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 9:25 am

Would it be easier to just quit Facebook? I used to have FB but several years ago I changed my settings to "Private / Only Me" for all of my previous posts and photos, and I never posted again. I also deleted about 3/4 of my friend contacts. I only had about 40 people to begin with, but I unfriended about 25-30 of them. I just told people I didn't want to use FB anymore and it was nothing personal.

I keep my account so I can use Messenger with my kids and with international relatives, but that's it.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 12:36 pm

If you enjoy FB, and it brings you happiness, keep it, use it, and delete whom you must.
When your neighbor or relative drops in and you CANNOT get them to leave, this is when you wish he/she were a Facebook friend, and you could leave the app, or not ‘answer the door’ in the first place.
If you are careful, and keep your eyes open, Facebook can keep you company, and you can see wonderful things from around the world.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 1:26 pm

Sylkat wrote:
If you enjoy FB, and it brings you happiness, keep it, use it, and delete whom you must.
When your neighbor or relative drops in and you CANNOT get them to leave, this is when you wish he/she were a Facebook friend, and you could leave the app, or not ‘answer the door’ in the first place.
If you are careful, and keep your eyes open, Facebook can keep you company, and you can see wonderful things from around the world.

You put me to shame Sylkat. You're right. I shouldn't advise Angnix to delete her FB if she enjoys it. You make some good points. It just upsets me when Angnix's family is so disrespectful to her, and I wish she could solve the problem instantly.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 3:10 pm

In between keep or block, there is another option: Unfollow. With that setting, your contact does not know you are ignoring him, but their posts will not show up in your timeline. You can still see what is going on with them (if you are masochistic) by clicking on their page.

That might be enough with relatives. But bear in mind they can still see YOUR posts, so there's another setting: only assign some members to "close friends" status and then make yourself invisible to everyone except "close friends."

I'm not sure it's really worth all these hijinks just to avoid offending your relatives. Oh wait, here's another option altogether:

Fourth relative comments on how you have blocked first three relatives, and why did you do that? At this point you become assertive and say "they are toxic to me and I don't need that negativity in my life." If fourth relative continues to harass you, block them, and they will know why!