Intelligent University Professors

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,915
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow

16 Nov 2007, 7:07 pm

Catchy title, eh? :P

This semester has definitely been tough, but one of many, many discoveries. Few in the academic sphere (but that was due to personal problems I won't really care to mention) and many, erm...extracurricular, for lack of a better word.

But that's not the main point here.

The point is, I really admire and respect intelligent teachers. You know who you are ;)


_________________
"Lightning is but a flicker of light, punctuated on all sides by darkness." - Loki


Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,069
Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

16 Nov 2007, 10:51 pm

Right on. My dad is one of them. He's a music professor and historian.


_________________
Curiosity is the greatest virtue.


Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 402
Location: University of Michigan Ann Arbor

12 Dec 2007, 5:41 pm

Theres this one GSI(Graduate Student Instructor; not yet a Teacher/Professor) who is really smart but has the personality of an arrogant c**t/smart monkey.

Most of the other students dislike him but I think he is hilarious.



Locke
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 11

12 Dec 2007, 9:39 pm

Intelligent/good professors allow me to survive university. Most of the students dislike the instructors that I find to be excellent teachers. I guess it's simply a difference in style.



Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 603

13 Dec 2007, 6:47 am

SilverProteus wrote:
Catchy title, eh? :P

This semester has definitely been tough, but one of many, many discoveries. Few in the academic sphere (but that was due to personal problems I won't really care to mention) and many, erm...extracurricular, for lack of a better word.

But that's not the main point here.

The point is, I really admire and respect intelligent teachers. You know who you are ;)


at my college all my professors seem almost juvenile in a sense. While they are nice they're not really role models or professionals in the traditional sense of the word. I just went to a department event and one teacher who commonly goes to the functions asked the department head where to put her bag and the department head and my production teacher just kinda looked at her funny. Later they joked imitating her voice "Rich where should I take a dump?(they used a more vulgar word). I have to say though it makes events like that and classes in general a little more interesting ... i nmy school I think the only real professionals are the liberal arts department.



Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,433

13 Dec 2007, 11:03 pm

Aye, it's the smart professors who really get my attention and I learn more in those classes. It was the same way with some of my teachers in high school; I can sense if they don't know the stuff they're teaching - or if they aren't excited about it.

Most of the professors at my school are really awesome. I know all of them within the department I study in and several from outside the department.


_________________
Itaque incipet.
All that glitters is not gold but at least it contains free electrons.


Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 603

13 Dec 2007, 11:31 pm

Namiko wrote:
Aye, it's the smart professors who really get my attention and I learn more in those classes. It was the same way with some of my teachers in high school; I can sense if they don't know the stuff they're teaching - or if they aren't excited about it.

Most of the professors at my school are really awesome. I know all of them within the department I study in and several from outside the department.


I guess because I'm a film student and my school is a bit disorganized most of the "smart", organized professors are in the liberal arts department. While thats fine by me because sometimes informal can be fun its also frustrating for instance I made a commercial for production class and I had to remind the teacher who says he has problems playing the dvds I burn to look at the dvd before break comes so that if theres anymore problems I can correct that before so theres no delay in getting my grades.



Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,433

14 Dec 2007, 10:28 pm

Abangyarudo wrote:
Namiko wrote:
Aye, it's the smart professors who really get my attention and I learn more in those classes. It was the same way with some of my teachers in high school; I can sense if they don't know the stuff they're teaching - or if they aren't excited about it.

Most of the professors at my school are really awesome. I know all of them within the department I study in and several from outside the department.


I guess because I'm a film student and my school is a bit disorganized most of the "smart", organized professors are in the liberal arts department. While thats fine by me because sometimes informal can be fun its also frustrating for instance I made a commercial for production class and I had to remind the teacher who says he has problems playing the dvds I burn to look at the dvd before break comes so that if theres anymore problems I can correct that before so theres no delay in getting my grades.


I avoid the liberal arts and theater departments as much as I can, as I have not yet had a good experience in those areas. I took a theater class during January of last year and hated it. The teacher didn't make it any better: disorganized, played favorites, etc.

I'm a chemistry/physics student, so there's a lot of overlapping within the general sciences. We're all in the same building and I have classes with a lot of the science majors (even biology and physics majors).


_________________
Itaque incipet.
All that glitters is not gold but at least it contains free electrons.


Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 603

15 Dec 2007, 12:24 pm

Namiko wrote:
Abangyarudo wrote:
Namiko wrote:
Aye, it's the smart professors who really get my attention and I learn more in those classes. It was the same way with some of my teachers in high school; I can sense if they don't know the stuff they're teaching - or if they aren't excited about it.

Most of the professors at my school are really awesome. I know all of them within the department I study in and several from outside the department.


I guess because I'm a film student and my school is a bit disorganized most of the "smart", organized professors are in the liberal arts department. While thats fine by me because sometimes informal can be fun its also frustrating for instance I made a commercial for production class and I had to remind the teacher who says he has problems playing the dvds I burn to look at the dvd before break comes so that if theres anymore problems I can correct that before so theres no delay in getting my grades.


I avoid the liberal arts and theater departments as much as I can, as I have not yet had a good experience in those areas. I took a theater class during January of last year and hated it. The teacher didn't make it any better: disorganized, played favorites, etc.

I'm a chemistry/physics student, so there's a lot of overlapping within the general sciences. We're all in the same building and I have classes with a lot of the science majors (even biology and physics majors).


thats cool. I had one theater class but I had problems until the last day with my Acting For the Camera course I was required to take. I can't put myself in other people's shoes which from what I gather is the cornerstone of acting. I think I did good considering that hinderance but my acting teacher was the most disorganized of the bunch. She scheduled things mostly like a week before stuff like "meet me out of class to go over your scenes and etc."



Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 438
Location: Canada, Toronto

15 Dec 2007, 10:56 pm

Most of the popular subjects (ie, the ones with general courses with class sizes of 2000+) usually have professors that know what they're doing, but they're usually either really good and interesting, or really crappy.

I'm fond of most of the math professors that teach my courses, and most of them are at least average or better.

It seems there's also a trend between math professors, Apple computers, and the Simpsons. For some strange unknown reason.


_________________
231st Anniversary Dedication to Carl Friedrich Gauss:
http://angelustenebrae.livejournal.com/15848.html

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.


SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,915
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow

31 Dec 2007, 10:06 am

Untrustworthy...


_________________
"Lightning is but a flicker of light, punctuated on all sides by darkness." - Loki


Odin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,475
Location: Moorhead, Minnesota, USA

31 Dec 2007, 10:40 am

My adviser and Biochemistry professor is a really great professor. He is an excellent instructor with a wild and wacky sense of humor and does very interesting cancer research. The best comparison temperament-wise is probably with Richard Feynman.


_________________
My Blog: My Autistic Life