Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

adamgill
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2022, 5:50 am

Hi folks, y'all. I have heard of Reddit. How good of a site is it to talk about geography and different places to live because I think each city and state has its own sub where you can get information about places to live? Is Reddit a good site better than city data? Many Thanks in advance.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 8:12 am

Try it out, rather than asking in one forum whether some other forum might be able to help you.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 8:18 am

I have the reddit app, so I scroll down and it shows random stuff like the UK subreddit.

I don't like it because Someone will start a thread and then 3000 people will comment on it with derailing, or inane comments. I don't like reading inane stuff. So the signal to noise ratio is well off.

I've noticed that youtube comments actually are amusing or thoughtful in many instances but reddit comments? eurgh! like tow-tier dad jokes.

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 9:04 am

I had a reddit account years ago, but quit due to all the crap in the feed. Facebook is getting very much like that now, I typically spend around 5 seconds on there after logging on due to the endless trash in my feed. The noise to content ratio is way off.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 1:29 am

I find Reddit to be pretty useful, you just have to use the search function if you're looking for a specific answer to a question, and set your feed to sort by new rather than sort by hot if you actually want to join discussions, as otherwise you'll only see high volume posts were you'll likely get drowned out by the previous threads.

stratozyck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2022, 4:23 pm

So, I love/hate reddit.

Here is something you should know about reddit. It is extremely easy to be banned for life from Reddit. I am banned for life from Reddit. And Reddit is downright mean about it. They block your IP address completely and use some sort of algorithm to read your posts and compare it to banned users to see if there is a match. Even if you use a VPN - it flags you as using a VPN and you get "shadow banned."

What that means is, you can post a comment and no one will see it, even though you think others can.

I got banned from reddit because several years ago I commented on a Donald Trump sub. The mod banned me, and then 3 years later on a different account I was stupid and accidentally commented on the sub. I didn't intend to - but the reddit feed will just throw up Trump subs at you if it got enough upvotes from people.

So that got me banned from reddit - all of my accounts. They banned my IP, and my children won't be able to use Reddit from this IP either!

Reddit also has a weird morality. They will go NUTS on any HINT of transphobia (and whatever, I get it I am ok with inclusion) but they have a whole sub reddit literally dedicated to watching people from poor countries die.

Its a sub reddit full of videos of people getting killed in grotesque ways. Its all people from poor countries where their families can't sue. I think if they put one video up of a person in America getting killed their family would sue them out of existence.

So yeah, Reddit has a very childish morality. Its "protect LGBT at all costs" but "yeah lets all laugh at these poor people getting killed."

(I want to emphasize, I am ok with LGBT protections, but if you are going to stand up for people's rights, why not stand up for the right of poor people not to be mocked at on the internet for dying in stupid ways?)

endlesslycurious
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2022, 5:36 pm

reddit is one of my favorite sites. There is literally a subreddit about just any topic. There is sub devoted to Taylor Swift's armpit and people drawing pictures of dinosaurs f*****g cars.

I have an auto glass sub on there that I took over recently. I have an auto glass shop so it is a good place to connect.

However, there is a lot of toxicity there.

The Mauve Factor
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2022, 3:30 am

endlesslycurious wrote:
people drawing pictures of dinosaurs f*****g cars.

Do you mean dragons? Don't ask me how I even know that much, lol.

I'll be checking out that other one you mentioned though, for educational purposes of course

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 11:43 pm

Quote:
About Reddit

It's 4chan for the self-righteous wokes.