Page 1169 of 1184 [ 18934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1166, 1167, 1168, 1169, 1170, 1171, 1172 ... 1184  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: U.S.A.

05 Dec 2022, 11:29 am

Last night we watched:

Rubikon [2022] Filmed in Austria—apparently released in English.
<=>This is the tagline listed in IMDb, I assume it suffered something in translation:
<=+=>"2056 - Company soldier Hannah and scientists Gavin and Dimitri are on board of RUBIKON space station
<=+=+=>researching an algae project aimed to provide humanity with a permanent supply of oxygen and food.
<=+=+=+=>But all of a sudden the earth beneath them disappears in a brown, toxic fog and all contacts are broken -
<=+=+=+=+=>are they the last survivors?
<=+=+=+=+=+=>Should they leave the safe station, risk their lives by flying back?
<=+=+=+=+=+=+=>What is worth living for, what is worth dying for?"



Hard science fiction.

I wouldn't say it was great, but it was also not bad. We both thought it was good.


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,112
Location: Iowa, US

05 Dec 2022, 2:11 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Last night we watched:

Rubikon [2022] Filmed in Austria—apparently released in English.
<=>This is the tagline listed in IMDb, I assume it suffered something in translation:
<=+=>"2056 - Company soldier Hannah and scientists Gavin and Dimitri are on board of RUBIKON space station
<=+=+=>researching an algae project aimed to provide humanity with a permanent supply of oxygen and food.
<=+=+=+=>But all of a sudden the earth beneath them disappears in a brown, toxic fog and all contacts are broken -
<=+=+=+=+=>are they the last survivors?
<=+=+=+=+=+=>Should they leave the safe station, risk their lives by flying back?
<=+=+=+=+=+=+=>What is worth living for, what is worth dying for?"



Hard science fiction.

I wouldn't say it was great, but it was also not bad. We both thought it was good.

That sounds good. My son and I enjoy space drama/science fiction. I'll pass that along to him.



cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2006
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,725
Location: Ontario Canada

05 Dec 2022, 2:40 pm

pcgoblin wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Last night we watched:

Rubikon [2022] Filmed in Austria—apparently released in English.
<=>This is the tagline listed in IMDb, I assume it suffered something in translation:
<=+=>"2056 - Company soldier Hannah and scientists Gavin and Dimitri are on board of RUBIKON space station
<=+=+=>researching an algae project aimed to provide humanity with a permanent supply of oxygen and food.
<=+=+=+=>But all of a sudden the earth beneath them disappears in a brown, toxic fog and all contacts are broken -
<=+=+=+=+=>are they the last survivors?
<=+=+=+=+=+=>Should they leave the safe station, risk their lives by flying back?
<=+=+=+=+=+=+=>What is worth living for, what is worth dying for?"



Hard science fiction.

I wouldn't say it was great, but it was also not bad. We both thought it was good.

That sounds good. My son and I enjoy space drama/science fiction. I'll pass that along to him.

Looks good.


_________________
I like to talk about Asperger'srelated issues as well as Asperger's related interest. So PM me!


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 66,138
Location: Portland, Oregon

05 Dec 2022, 7:49 pm

Pinocchio (The 2022 version directed by Guillermo Del Toro)


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: U.S.A.

05 Dec 2022, 8:07 pm

Regarding Rubikon...don't go in with elevated expectations. I think one of the reviews on IMDb characterizes it well: "For an international low budget B-film from novice filmmakers, this was breathtakingly shot and directed, with a story that had constant tension and suspense." So, (quite) good but not a Hollywood blockbuster.

And, as a fan of hard science fiction, I found that aspect of the film wonderful!


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2006
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,725
Location: Ontario Canada

06 Dec 2022, 9:24 am

Double Retired wrote:
Regarding Rubikon...don't go in with elevated expectations. I think one of the reviews on IMDb characterizes it well: "For an international low budget B-film from novice filmmakers, this was breathtakingly shot and directed, with a story that had constant tension and suspense." So, (quite) good but not a Hollywood blockbuster.

And, as a fan of hard science fiction, I found that aspect of the film wonderful!

Good to know.


_________________
I like to talk about Asperger'srelated issues as well as Asperger's related interest. So PM me!


cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2006
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,725
Location: Ontario Canada

06 Dec 2022, 9:24 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Pinocchio (The 2022 version directed by Guillermo Del Toro)

Was it any good?


_________________
I like to talk about Asperger'srelated issues as well as Asperger's related interest. So PM me!


Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,386

06 Dec 2022, 9:46 am

Interstellar.

What a stunning film.


_________________
"A loaded gun won't set you free. So you say." - Ian Curtis


Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: U.S.A.

06 Dec 2022, 10:29 am

Where_am_I wrote:
Interstellar.

What a stunning film.
:thumright: AGREED!! It is worth viewing on the biggest screen you can arrange.



Last night, after having previously watched our way through the first season of The Newsroom [1996–2005], we watched the movie Escape from the Newsroom [2002], which positions us for the series revival second and third seasons.

Great, strange humor...series and movie!


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 63,591
Location: United Kingdom

06 Dec 2022, 5:25 pm

Big Zapper (1973)

God Almighty, just how bad was this? An actress called Linda Marlowe plays a private detective on the trail of an evil, murderous kidnapper who has killed three of her client's grown up children. It's a kind of melange of soft porn and martial arts, all put together with startling ineptitude by 'cult director' Lindsay Shonteff (no, I'd never heard of him either).

Marlowe seems to have been quite an intelligent, talented actress, who collaborated with people like Stephen Berkoff and was a member of the Half Moon Theatre Company, so heaven knows why she ended up doing stuff like this.



_________________
On a mountain range
I'm Doctor Strange


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 66,138
Location: Portland, Oregon

06 Dec 2022, 9:42 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Pinocchio (The 2022 version directed by Guillermo Del Toro)

Was it any good?


Absolutely! It was one of the most beautiful animated movies I have ever since.


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,642
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

06 Dec 2022, 10:20 pm

Clerks III.

Randall, after surviving a heart attack, decides to find meaning in his life by making a movie about his (and Dante's) experiences as convenience and video store clerks (yes, he wants to make the original Clerks ). Meanwhile, Dante is struggling with having lost his wife and the love of his life, and has mixed feelings about Randall's project.
Maybe not as good as the first two movies, but very enjoyable.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2006
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,725
Location: Ontario Canada

07 Dec 2022, 9:35 am

Double Retired wrote:
Where_am_I wrote:
Interstellar.

What a stunning film.
:thumright: AGREED!! It is worth viewing on the biggest screen you can arrange.



Last night, after having previously watched our way through the first season of The Newsroom [1996–2005], we watched the movie Escape from the Newsroom [2002], which positions us for the series revival second and third seasons.

Great, strange humor...series and movie!

Sounds good and fun.


_________________
I like to talk about Asperger'srelated issues as well as Asperger's related interest. So PM me!


Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: U.S.A.

07 Dec 2022, 2:18 pm

Last night we watched:

The Green Hornet [2011]
<=>"Protect the law by breaking it."



I suggested this film because we had recently watched The Lone Ranger and, supposedly, Britt Reid (who is also the Green Hornet) is a grand nephew of John Reid (who was the Lone Ranger). That esoteric bit of trivia is, to my knowledge, almost the only link between the two films, however.

The Green Hornet is a fun film but, unfortunately, flawed. For a start, Britt Reid/The Green Hornet is played pretty much as a crude doofus. This is not surprising since Seth Rogen plays that part and also co-wrote the film. But, surprising or not, it seems very, very wrong to me. I think the character should be a competent hero (my expectations are consistent with The Green Hornet [1966–1967]). And absolutely it feels wrong for a key part of the story to revolve around the hero behaving in a sexually inappropriate manner at his office.

On the plus side, if you set those flaws aside it is a good story and a polished fun film.
And, Kato is played wonderfully by Jay Chou.

And I'll throw a bit of silliness into the mix, as well. Britt Reid is supposedly the grand nephew of the Lone Ranger. That means Britt's Dad, played by Tom Wilkinson, would be the Lone Ranger's nephew. And in The Lone Ranger there was a young boy who was the Lone Ranger's nephew. But, Tom Wilkinson also appeared in that film as the evil railroad baron...who was a friend of the Lone Ranger's family...and coincidentally looks exactly like the father of Britt Reid/The Green Hornet! Hmmm...is it possible the evil railroad baron was too friendly with the Lone Ranger's family!
8O


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2006
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,725
Location: Ontario Canada

08 Dec 2022, 9:36 am

Double Retired wrote:
Last night we watched:

The Green Hornet [2011]
<=>"Protect the law by breaking it."



I suggested this film because we had recently watched The Lone Ranger and, supposedly, Britt Reid (who is also the Green Hornet) is a grand nephew of John Reid (who was the Lone Ranger). That esoteric bit of trivia is, to my knowledge, almost the only link between the two films, however.

The Green Hornet is a fun film but, unfortunately, flawed. For a start, Britt Reid/The Green Hornet is played pretty much as a crude doofus. This is not surprising since Seth Rogen plays that part and also co-wrote the film. But, surprising or not, it seems very, very wrong to me. I think the character should be a competent hero (my expectations are consistent with The Green Hornet [1966–1967]). And absolutely it feels wrong for a key part of the story to revolve around the hero behaving in a sexually inappropriate manner at his office.

On the plus side, if you set those flaws aside it is a good story and a polished fun film.
And, Kato is played wonderfully by Jay Chou.

And I'll throw a bit of silliness into the mix, as well. Britt Reid is supposedly the grand nephew of the Lone Ranger. That means Britt's Dad, played by Tom Wilkinson, would be the Lone Ranger's nephew. And in The Lone Ranger there was a young boy who was the Lone Ranger's nephew. But, Tom Wilkinson also appeared in that film as the evil railroad baron...who was a friend of the Lone Ranger's family...and coincidentally looks exactly like the father of Britt Reid/The Green Hornet! Hmmm...is it possible the evil railroad baron was too friendly with the Lone Ranger's family!
8O

I did not know that. You made me want to watch the film.


_________________
I like to talk about Asperger'srelated issues as well as Asperger's related interest. So PM me!


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,535
Location: England

08 Dec 2022, 12:39 pm

I'm on Christmas movies now! Some great, some rubbish.

The latest good one was Designing Christmas. My favourite subjects: home renovation, Christmas and romance! So that was a big hit with me!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21821322/


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.