What if Pocahantas were a movie about autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 7:52 pm

As in, imagine instead of the 2 different worlds being the native american and white worlds, the autistic/aspergers community and NTs. So instead of a white man named john smith who meets a native girl pocahantas, an nt individual who meets an aspie. imagine if everything in pocahantas stayed the same only the songs and characters matched the the topic of autism and nt, but the theme stays the same. wouldn't that be cool.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 8:37 pm

I assume that you mean that it would be set in modern america, and not in colonial times.

The idea being that the differences between nt's and aspies of the same culture are as dramatic as the differences between NTs coming from two alien cultures.

Yeah. It has possibilities as a story.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 9:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I assume that you mean that it would be set in modern america, and not in colonial times.

The idea being that the differences between nt's and aspies of the same culture are as dramatic as the differences between NTs coming from two alien cultures.

The setting in Pocahantas in non fictional, but if Pocahantas were to be about autism, it would require a fictional universe and setting to fit my image.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2013, 5:16 pm

salad wrote:
As in, imagine instead of the 2 different worlds being the native american and white worlds, the autistic/aspergers community and NTs. So instead of a white man named john smith who meets a native girl pocahantas, an nt individual who meets an aspie. imagine if everything in pocahantas stayed the same only the songs and characters matched the the topic of autism and nt, but the theme stays the same. wouldn't that be cool.

If this was a movie would there still be a lot of singing?

salad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 3:28 pm

Darkone101 wrote:
salad wrote:

If this was a movie would there still be a lot of singing?

of course

PantheraTigris
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2013, 3:57 pm

That sounds interesting. I would most certainly watch that.

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2013, 6:28 am

Sounds great! I'd back that horse.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

salad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

The setting in Pocahantas in non fictional, but if Pocahantas were to be about autism, it would require a fictional universe and setting to fit my image.

Thats what Im trying to get at- what IS your vision?

Fictional stories ( from the bible or from shakespeare or the greek myths) get redone in new settings. But sometimes real events become mythic and can also be riffed on.

But-whatever- it is interesting idea.

Basically Disney studios made the love story between Pochahantas and John Smith into a tale of two cultures meeting.

And that idea could remade into a tale of two groups within the same society who are nonetheless alien to each other- like nts and auties/aspies. You pivot the story on a love story.

Make it a musical if you want. Maybe even a cartoon. Maybe you could even have the world look different through the eyes of different characters. The world as seen by NT characters has one look, that of nts another.- even though it the same world.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 5:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Maybe you could even have the world look different through the eyes of different characters. The world as seen by NT characters has one look, that of nts another.- even though it the same world.

Brilliant idea by salad, brilliant suggestion by naturalplastic, BRILLIANT!

I have seen some videos that try to illustrate what sensory issues are like, including this one. There are more sensory issues for me than what that particular video shows. How can one really explain to anyone else what it feels like to experience the senses of everyday life and situations more intensely to the point of pain, becoming dazed, even shutting down?

Still, kudos to salad for the idea of the movie, and to naturalplastic and everyone else who is supporting or contributing to the idea. Hey, doesn't ALEX make films (hint hint)? Why not a movie written, directed, produced and starring people from WrongPlanet? Hey I volunteer to ride and play for free if there are any Bicycling Guitarists in the story line. Others have told me my life should be a reality show. I think mine would be boring for most people, but this movie idea sounds exciting and fun.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm

TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Maybe you could even have the world look different through the eyes of different characters. The world as seen by NT characters has one look, that of nts another.- even though it the same world.

Brilliant idea by salad, brilliant suggestion by naturalplastic, BRILLIANT!

I have seen some videos that try to illustrate what sensory issues are like, including this one. There are more sensory issues for me than what that particular video shows. How can one really explain to anyone else what it feels like to experience the senses of everyday life and situations more intensely to the point of pain, becoming dazed, even shutting down?

Still, kudos to salad for the idea of the movie, and to naturalplastic and everyone else who is supporting or contributing to the idea. Hey, doesn't ALEX make films (hint hint)? Why not a movie written, directed, produced and starring people from WrongPlanet? Hey I volunteer to ride and play for free if there are any Bicycling Guitarists in the story line. Others have told me my life should be a reality show. I think mine would be boring for most people, but this movie idea sounds exciting and fun.

thanks.