Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Aug 2022, 6:16 am

Hello, I am new here. When I was sure that I have Asperger syndrome, I went to a psychiatrist. And she said "yes, you have asperger syndrome, but I can not give you an official diagnosis. You have to go to one of the bigger hospitals called university hospitals."

Here, in Turkey, adults can not get a diagnosis. I do not know what to do. I had panic attacks last year, because of this condition I am in. I tried to contact with association/union of AS; they did, however, not help as well. I feel so alone sometimes. Because I want to meet at least one person who can understand me, that I perceive the world in a different way.

I graduated from Psychological counseling and gave up computer engineering after 2 years. I was studying two department at the same time. After university, I started working on math, and AI. I love philosophy, physics, classical literature, kangal dogs and caucasian honey bees and I have them.

I will be 28 at 1 September. And, my whole life has a meaning now, because I now know that why I am different. But, I have to get a diagnosis, since I have to protect myself from others. My family denies my condition. They want to see only my genius side, not my deficiencies. I just wanted to share what I am undergoing.

This is not my native language. So, sorry in advance, if made a mistake.

Thanks for reading.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 2:02 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

And I am sorry to hear about your problems getting a formal diagnosis. How easy or difficult it is to get the diagnosis seems to vary from country to country.

I first suspected I might be Autistic when I was 64 and managed to get the formal diagnosis before my 65th birthday.

But I was old enough that the only benefit I know the diagnosis has given me is a tremendous relief to finally have an explanation for many of the difficulties I encountered growing up. I didn't even care that the diagnosis really didn't do anything besides that. My friends and family already thought I was odd so the diagnosis didn't change their opinions.

Sometimes my bride regrets my diagnosis. Whenever she bumps up against one of my Autism traits I remind her:

"I have a doctor's note for that!"
This amuses me much more than it amuses her. :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 9:38 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

13 Aug 2022, 7:51 am

Welcome to WP! :mrgreen:

Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2022, 10:57 am

Thank you all for your replies.

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2022, 4:29 am

Carl Friedrich Gauss wrote:
Hello, I am new here. When I was sure that I have Asperger syndrome, I went to a psychiatrist. And she said "yes, you have asperger syndrome, but I can not give you an official diagnosis. You have to go to one of the bigger hospitals called university hospitals."

Here, in Turkey, adults can not get a diagnosis. I do not know what to do. I had panic attacks last year, because of this condition I am in. I tried to contact with association/union of AS; they did, however, not help as well. I feel so alone sometimes. Because I want to meet at least one person who can understand me, that I perceive the world in a different way.

I graduated from Psychological counseling and gave up computer engineering after 2 years. I was studying two department at the same time. After university, I started working on math, and AI. I love philosophy, physics, classical literature, kangal dogs and caucasian honey bees and I have them.

I will be 28 at 1 September. And, my whole life has a meaning now, because I now know that why I am different. But, I have to get a diagnosis, since I have to protect myself from others. My family denies my condition. They want to see only my genius side, not my deficiencies. I just wanted to share what I am undergoing.

This is not my native language. So, sorry in advance, if made a mistake.

Thanks for reading.

My father and mother divorced. I am probably going to go to US where my sister lives. If ı managed to get an official diagnosis there, that would be pretty good.

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 7:41 am

Welcome to WP and thanks for sharing! Your English is good and perfectly understandable.

I'm really sorry to hear the difficulty you're having. It's hard to get an autism assessment in my country but it is possible, so that's hard enough but I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be told there's no option for you. If you do end up moving to the US, I hope you have more luck there! In the mean time, I hope you feel able to connect with some of the people here and feel less alone in your experience. That's why I joined WP just recently.

Good luck and feel free to keep us updated!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 7:49 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Unlike a disease, there is no cure to Asperger's syndrome. So most countries provide some help to young people to better adapt, but it is not a cure.

The best approach for adults with Aspies is to learn tools to make your life easier. In general you are not defective - you are different. Thus if you can understand your unique strengths then use those to cover up your weaknesses.