Page 4 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 903

10 Jan 2009, 5:39 pm

alex wrote:
please withdraw your claim because I don't want to waste my time writing a counter-notice explaining why you have no case for copyright infringement and why you're full of sh**.

Could you not just delete the post in question? It would be certainly quicker than writing a letter.



alex
Administrator
Administrator

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,171
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

10 Jan 2009, 6:02 pm

Kangoogle wrote:
alex wrote:
please withdraw your claim because I don't want to waste my time writing a counter-notice explaining why you have no case for copyright infringement and why you're full of sh**.

Could you not just delete the post in question? It would be certainly quicker than writing a letter.


Because I actually have principles.



Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,518
Location: Room 101

10 Jan 2009, 6:17 pm

Kangoogle wrote:
alex wrote:
please withdraw your claim because I don't want to waste my time writing a counter-notice explaining why you have no case for copyright infringement and why you're full of sh**.

Could you not just delete the post in question? It would be certainly quicker than writing a letter.

Because appeasement is crappy policy.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 903

10 Jan 2009, 6:24 pm

Orwell wrote:
Kangoogle wrote:
alex wrote:
please withdraw your claim because I don't want to waste my time writing a counter-notice explaining why you have no case for copyright infringement and why you're full of sh**.

Could you not just delete the post in question? It would be certainly quicker than writing a letter.

Because appeasement is crappy policy.

Its a more efficient policy in this case.



Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,518
Location: Room 101

10 Jan 2009, 6:32 pm

See alex's post above about having principles. It's his site.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,004

10 Jan 2009, 7:14 pm

Yea Alex! 8)

P.S. I can write a make-your-eyeballs-bleed-boring counter-claim detailing why this person hasn't got a banana in a gorilla's butt chance of winning; I gots the time!



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

10 Jan 2009, 7:57 pm

YowlingCat wrote:
Yea Alex! 8)

P.S. I can write a make-your-eyeballs-bleed-boring counter-claim detailing why this person hasn't got a banana in a gorilla's butt chance of winning; I gots the time!

The claim was against alex, you are not his lawyer. I'm sure he can handle it. Interesting analogy though :lol:



KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Feb 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 960
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA

11 Jan 2009, 12:20 am

Here is the thread in question. The 2nd post seems to be the big problem.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1969830 ... t=#1969830


_________________
"I yam what I yam." - Popeye the Sailor

Avatar from www.freesmileys.org


rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 788
Location: Reno,NV,USA

11 Jan 2009, 5:46 am

Stop it....seriously,NOW!


_________________
"Dear friend, the silent streets and the cool of the moon invite us to a walk. Let us go forth, while all the world is in bed and none may mar our solitary exaltation."


Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,775
Location: Ohio, USA

11 Jan 2009, 9:16 am

I don't think it is possible to reason with someone who is this paranoid.

Regarding principles, though, there are two in question here: One, that you don't want to do something that looks like admitting you were wrong; Two, that you don't want to do something that looks like the autistic community is nothing but conflict.

If somebody wants a post consisting of something they wrote taken off the site, I don't see a problem with that request. It's obviously not copyright violation to quote something that was originally posted and linked for discussion by the author; but I also do think he's got the right to say whether something of his is quoted on the site--not for reasons of copyright, but for basic politeness.

The principles here aren't all that important. If giving in made you look like you supported abuse or thought autism should be cured, I would be all for fighting; but something as petty as this doesn't approach the really important things.


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Age: 74
Gender: Male
Posts: 600
Location: New Jersey, U.S.A.

11 Jan 2009, 11:10 am

The article in question here is simply a summary of a CNN article reporting the event, hardly a peice of original work. It is interesting to note that directly beneath the part that KaliMa quoted the complainant wrote:

aspieweb.net wrote:
I know this does not have anything to do with Autism, but I feel that similar things likely happen in the Autism community on a daily basis - and it should be discussed.

So, the rules of this site have been violated in order to post that link and get the incident discussed, and now he is complaining that KaliMa wanted to discuss it. I would think it would have to be a pretty hungry lawyer to take that case. :P


_________________
NobelCynic (on WP)
My given name is Kenneth


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,205
Location: Stendec

11 Jan 2009, 11:15 am

WrongPlanet is still up and running ... that says a lot about the lack of merit for Messygeek's case. :roll:

... and for Alex's integrity! :D


_________________
 
• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans • Custodiamus Veritas •
• Et Serviunt Qui Non Videntur •


JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2006
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,025
Location: Woodbridge, VA

11 Jan 2009, 11:39 am

Fnord wrote:
WrongPlanet is still up and running ... that says a lot about the lack of merit for Messygeek's case. :roll:

... and for Alex's integrity! :D


Agree becuase the case was dead before it began anyway.


_________________
"You are the stars and the world is watching you. By your presence you send a message to every village, every city, every nation. A message of hope. A message of victory."- Eunice Kennedy Shriver


NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Age: 74
Gender: Male
Posts: 600
Location: New Jersey, U.S.A.

11 Jan 2009, 1:49 pm

Actually, it hasn't begun yet as no legal papers have been filed.

KaliMa wrote:
Here is the thread in question. The 2nd post seems to be the big problem.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1969830 ... t=#1969830

Yes, that is the post in question. The closest thing Messygeek has to a case is that you did copy a bit more than you needed to in order to make your point. I don't know if you can still edit it (or if Alex would even want you to,) but if you were to delete everything except the first sentence in that quote, he would have absoutely no case whatsoever as it passes the other three tests of fair use.

The legal concept of Fruits of a Poisonous Tree usually applies to gatheing evidence, but I wonder is something simular wouldn't apply here. The link was posted from an illegal sock puppet account; if this site's rules had not been viloated by the complainant, the alleged infrigement would have been impossible.


_________________
NobelCynic (on WP)
My given name is Kenneth


0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

11 Jan 2009, 2:59 pm

The guy was using wrong planet to try and get more traffic to his blog yet he cries wolf when someone quotes from it. This event is widespread. There is no reason to link to his article.

The article is ok but nothing special in my opinion. There could have been more commentary.



silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 802

11 Jan 2009, 3:32 pm

I think he disgusts most people in the aspie community, here and on other sites, he seems to think he's all that.
There will be a lot of pissed off aspies Zach, if this site go's down because of your douchebaggery.
Your problem Zach is that you use the word Aspie as an excuse to be a whiny evil little prick, you are well known as one of the shining lights of Douchedom, I here by nominate you Zachery Lassiter as the Biggest Douche in the Aspergers Community

[edited for content by sinsboldy]