embarrasing run-ins with a disabled guy at my college

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

iluvfossilshadez457
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2011, 7:50 pm

so here's the story.
first time i met this guy, who's asian by the way not that it matters, he seemed pretty normal because, of course, it had only been a few seconds in which we exchanged names, apparently interested in me, and then he left. that was the week before now, today, where i was getting some food from the cafeteria and ran into him again getting my stuff together to leave with my food. this was especially traumatic for me being in the midst of everybody leaving the food lines and checkout and tables and all that and not being able to understand (considering that i have asperger's which affects my ability to hear and comprehend, especially in stressful situations) what he said and repeatedly having to tell him i didn't need help getting things together to leave and...*sigh...i did of course make it through to leaving. But one thing i also wondered was what the heck his diagnosis was so i tried to use hand signage aids to get to the point that i wanted to get to know whether this guy had autism himself, which took forever for him to try to answer before i got impatient and left. most likely it was way more serious like retardation, some degree of it. and i'm worried about running into him and figuring out how to at least put up with his interest in interacting with me, even though i'd rather in any way shape or form not want to have anything to do with him.

can someone share their thoughts on this?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 9:22 pm

Okay, so the guy was giving the long involved answer with a lot of build-up. Try and cut him a little slack if you can.

You're not obligated to be his friend if you don't want to. Maybe just friendly acquaintances, that kind of thing.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 5:42 am

Better to just be honest and let the guy know you don't want to be friends.

Otherwise, he'll get more attached, you'll get more annoyed until you finally tell him to get lost.

He'll be even more hurt because he'll feel you led him on, and he'll be right.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2011, 9:02 am

GoonSquad wrote:
Better to just be honest and let the guy know you don't want to be friends.

Otherwise, he'll get more attached, you'll get more annoyed until you finally tell him to get lost.

He'll be even more hurt because he'll feel you led him on, and he'll be right.

I agree with that but, I think it should be stressed to somehow be as polite as possible about it. It is easy to be rude about these things.