There is a 'Aspergirl" in my class.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Is/was there a 'Aspergirl' in your class?
Yes. 53%  53%  [ 16 ]
No. 47%  47%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 30

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 8:58 am

Do you have or had any?

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:48 am

Last class I was in was at university doing computer science, there were only about 5 girls out of about 80 boys, the subject attracted all sorts of people it would be hard to tell but they all seemed pretty social. Previous years at normal school - secondary, middle, high whatever you call there were probably only about 1 or 2 per 30 pupils in each class were aspie and/or had other mental health conditions. Having been 8 years since school, i've only managed to come across one since when I was out shopping. If you're anything like me, you would try to avoid anyone from school years.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 10:47 am

Scorpius14 wrote:
Last class I was in was at university doing computer science, there were only about 5 girls out of about 80 boys, the subject attracted all sorts of people it would be hard to tell but they all seemed pretty social. Previous years at normal school - secondary, middle, high whatever you call there were probably only about 1 or 2 per 30 pupils in each class were aspie and/or had other mental health conditions. Having been 8 years since school, i've only managed to come across one since when I was out shopping. If you're anything like me, you would try to avoid anyone from school years.

Never mind she literally transferred out of the class the day after. :o

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 10:55 am

Through out my childhood, there was never another aspie girl in my class. Since I was in a self contained classroom, there are higher chances there were but I wouldn't know because I saw none of the stereotype stuff. No weird sounds or repetitive behavior or obsessive behavior like hand flapping or talking about the same stuff over and over or rocking or any head banging or getting upset with change.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 11:16 am

I have know many other Aspergirls, and I've had other Aspies in my class, but I don't think I've ever had another Aspergirl in my class.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 8:08 pm

There was a girl in my class that might've been on the border of Asperger and Kanner types, but I don't take that class anymore.

Her voice sounded a bit different than the others in our class, and one day I realised it was because her intonation was the exact same as mine. She copes better than me with sensory stuff, particularly the noise sensitivity, and but I was more mature than her emotionally. We have different approaches with NT interaction. She is overly friendly while I am overly reclusive. She is better than me at offering people emotional support, but I am better than her at understanding NT jokes. I also did more stimming/repetitive movements than she did. She told everyone that she has autism, but I told no-one.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 11:05 pm

I'm not sure I could tell the difference between someone who's just socially awkward and someone with Asperger's without talking to them a lot. There may have been some when I was in school, but I probably didn't spot them.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 6:42 pm

I've actually never met another girl with autism irl

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 12:06 pm

Alliekit wrote:
I've actually never met another girl with autism irl

She was, extremely observant. That's was my main clue. She picked up on subtle things, that no one else had. Most people just mind there own business, she doesn't really have that sort of boundary. I'm only guess, based onw hat I've seen.

GMUnicorns
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Nov 2016, 9:38 pm

I've known a few others (four diagnosed to be precise), mostly from Aspie groups but also from outside them (I'm homeschooled, so I've never technically been in a class with one).
I know a sibset where out of the three, there is one neurotypical girl, and then a boy and a girl who clearly are on the Spectrum but do not appear to know it. The Aspergirl of them tutors me in Chemistry. Very nice, but her entire demeanor screams Aspie, and she's terribly literal. We'd be good friends if I was a bit older and quieter, I think.
I will admit a lot of girls on the Spectrum watch people, including me. It's one way to fit in with other people, or to get to know them with minimum stress.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 3:49 pm

No, but there is one who uses real medical terms to describe her latest "fad".
She has said that she is/has
-psychopath
-eating disorder
-depression
-anxiety
-a genius
-aspergers
-ocd

most of them were motivated by: I took an online quiz and i answered the 3/5 or 4/5 questions the same way that a psychopath would, it said so on the answer page!1!!1 (she took one online test and it said that psychopaths (or whatever she made up this time) would answer in the same way, and it consisted of 5 questions.

And she loves change and is super social and doest have sensory issues, but claims she had ocd a few years ago because she didnt like it when her stuff got dirty...

Might have had a guy with AS in my class though (he was super weird and his mom and brother were just as weird as him, so they might all be aspies or then it just has to do with how he was raised).

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 4:16 pm

teksla wrote:
No, but there is one who uses real medical terms to describe her latest "fad".
She has said that she is/has
-psychopath
-eating disorder
-depression
-anxiety
-a genius
-aspergers
-ocd

most of them were motivated by: I took an online quiz and i answered the 3/5 or 4/5 questions the same way that a psychopath would, it said so on the answer page!1!!1 (she took one online test and it said that psychopaths (or whatever she made up this time) would answer in the same way, and it consisted of 5 questions.

And she loves change and is super social and doest have sensory issues, but claims she had ocd a few years ago because she didnt like it when her stuff got dirty...

When we do projects at my school, there are a lot of people who are like, "The title's slightly off center, and it's driving me crazy! I am so OCD!"

Once, someone in a documentary asked this woman what it was like to have OCD. She said (I'm going off of hazy memory):

"On a piece of paper write: 'I wish with all my heart that [name of someone who you is dear to you] would die today'. Can you write that? No. That's what it's like to have OCD."

AdamBraverman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2016, 4:18 am

I wouldn't know, because when I was younger I was oblivious to people.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2016, 6:38 am

I can say with certainty that there was an Aspergirl in every class I've had :)

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz