Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,926
Location: Near London United Kingdom

09 Nov 2021, 10:31 am

I am 32 and Still living with my parents.

Although I went to a mainstream college and did well in my teenage years I have not worked much at all from 2010 onwards partly because of my mental health problems/being autistic (I am on medication to treat it) and also because I don’t really want to work either.

Here is my employment history

2004 week long work experience

2005 had a week long work experience

2007-2008 worked in my college library

2014-2015 worked for 6 months doing contract work

2019 worked for 2 weeks in a factory for disabled people


Given my history of employment which I have listed above do you think most employers will never hire me for a job?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 53,109
Location: Stendec

09 Nov 2021, 10:50 am

Three questions I would ask:

1. What did you do at each job?

2. What did you learn from each job?

3. Why did you leave each job?

Not just your answers, but the way you deliver your answers would tell me a lot about your suitability for employment.



Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,113
Location: Texas

09 Nov 2021, 11:00 am

Jamesy wrote:
I am 32 and Still living with my parents.

Although I went to a mainstream college and did well in my teenage years I have not worked much at all from 2010 onwards partly because of my mental health problems/being autistic (I am on medication to treat it) and also because I don’t really want to work either.

Here is my employment history

2004 week long work experience

2005 had a week long work experience

2007-2008 worked in my college library

2014-2015 worked for 6 months doing contract work

2019 worked for 2 weeks in a factory for disabled people


Given my history of employment which I have listed above do you think most employers will never hire me for a job?

How will you eat without working if you dont want to work.?like what alternatives to work do you have for providing for your basic needs like housing,transporation, food,and clothing and medical.I have had similar issues and I think the only companies that will hire us would be small businesses family members own or McJobs but I dont think we have a prayer of getting entry-level jobs that pay a living wage in most cases.I think if you can work you should.But I dont think you should have to work a McJob if you have a bachelor's but sadly you may have to.Can you see if you can get on benefits in the UK if you cant work?



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,926
Location: Near London United Kingdom

09 Nov 2021, 11:04 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
I am 32 and Still living with my parents.

Although I went to a mainstream college and did well in my teenage years I have not worked much at all from 2010 onwards partly because of my mental health problems/being autistic (I am on medication to treat it) and also because I don’t really want to work either.

Here is my employment history

2004 week long work experience

2005 had a week long work experience

2007-2008 worked in my college library

2014-2015 worked for 6 months doing contract work

2019 worked for 2 weeks in a factory for disabled people


Given my history of employment which I have listed above do you think most employers will never hire me for a job?

How will you eat without working if you dont want to work.?like what alternatives to work do you have for providing for your basic needs like housing,transporation, food,and clothing and medical.I have had similar issues and I think the only companies that will hire us would be small businesses family members own or McJobs but I dont think we have a prayer of getting entry-level jobs that pay a living wage in most cases.I think if you can work you should.But I dont think you should have to work a McJob if you have a bachelor's but sadly you may have to.Can you see if you can get on benefits in the UK if you cant work?



I am on benefits already



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 79,496
Location: Queens, NYC

09 Nov 2021, 11:48 am

A McJob is better than no job at all.

Why don't you got to the JobCentre? See what they say.



Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,113
Location: Texas

09 Nov 2021, 2:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
A McJob is better than no job at all.

Why don't you got to the JobCentre? See what they say.

Ya at least a McJob could help him have a better shot at getting a job if he worked there for a year.I think maybe the OP should consider working for the government.Are you able to maintain a comfortable standard of living despite your unemployment Jamesy?



shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,279

09 Nov 2021, 3:24 pm

All you need is one employer to hire you

You do not need "most employers" to hire you for a job

In September 2020, I was 37, and the longest I had ever had a job was 5 months, when I was 18. All the other jobs under 5 months long. Made redundant numerous times. Six out of ten officially diagnosed personality disorders. Autism.

October 2020 got a job. Still working right now. Minimum wage part time.


Your occupational prospects are much worse than someone with a stable job history, but some jobs hire applicants with bad work history, felony convictions, and psychiatric diagnosis



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 79,496
Location: Queens, NYC

09 Nov 2021, 3:52 pm

I just made 41 years on the same job. It's a "government" job, civil service.

Maybe try to work for your council or something?



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,725
Location: wales

12 Nov 2021, 9:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
A McJob is better than no job at all.

Why don't you got to the JobCentre? See what they say.


I would always consider something like a McJob but reluctantly as a last resort. As annoying as jobs like that are, everyone will probably get used to them after two or three months and they provide a good foothold in the jobs market to progress to better jobs. Although my own job pays better than McDonalds, it's probably equally as unpleasant in its own way.

After surviving more than 8 years in a long hours in a rough blue collar job, I imagine all types of low end jobs will be easy for me to get. If I get refused a job at ASDA after 8 years of 55 hour weeks in a steel fabrication shop with broken bones and plenty of other injuries to go with it, I would be a bit mortified.

Sometimes the job written on the CV matters more than the job itself.



smartHulk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2021
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 89

12 Nov 2021, 10:06 am

To be honest I just can't grasp how some people can't find something to earn a living for years, especially nowadays. I've been earning some money secretly from my parents since I was like 10, washing cars, selling newspapers, painting buildings, cutting trees, fixing computers. I did it on my own or with couple friends, don't ever remember trying to get a job. I'm not a businessman, just self employed, working on my own, can't imagine waiting for someone to give me a job, tell me what to do.

There is e-bay, etsy, thousands little gigs online, platforms like fiverr, upwork, etc. you can easily earn decent income sitting in your bedroom, doing some simple s**t you can learn in less than a week online. You don't need to have a CS degree or complex skills, there are literally 12 year old kids earning $3000+ selling 3D prints of freely available models in their free time.

If you are unemployed, find something you like and start learning and doing it, literally any small income from little gigs or even trying and failing, but learning in process is better than doing nothing at all.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 53,109
Location: Stendec

12 Nov 2021, 10:09 am

Fnord wrote:
Three questions I would ask:

1. What did you do at each job?

2. What did you learn from each job?

3. Why did you leave each job?

Not just your answers, but the way you deliver your answers would tell me a lot about your suitability for employment.
Post bumped; still waiting for reply from OP.



TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 Feb 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 487
Location: Planet Emorf

13 Nov 2021, 5:50 am

smartHulk wrote:
To be honest I just can't grasp how some people can't find something to earn a living for years, especially nowadays. I've been earning some money secretly from my parents since I was like 10, washing cars, selling newspapers, painting buildings, cutting trees, fixing computers. I did it on my own or with couple friends, don't ever remember trying to get a job. I'm not a businessman, just self employed, working on my own, can't imagine waiting for someone to give me a job, tell me what to do.

There is e-bay, etsy, thousands little gigs online, platforms like fiverr, upwork, etc. you can easily earn decent income sitting in your bedroom, doing some simple s**t you can learn in less than a week online. You don't need to have a CS degree or complex skills, there are literally 12 year old kids earning $3000+ selling 3D prints of freely available models in their free time.

If you are unemployed, find something you like and start learning and doing it, literally any small income from little gigs or even trying and failing, but learning in process is better than doing nothing at all.


@smartHulk

Just to clarify they are selling 3D printed items or selling just 3D designs?



TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 Feb 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 487
Location: Planet Emorf

13 Nov 2021, 5:56 am

Jamesy wrote:
I am 32 and Still living with my parents.

Although I went to a mainstream college and did well in my teenage years I have not worked much at all from 2010 onwards partly because of my mental health problems/being autistic (I am on medication to treat it) and also because I don’t really want to work either.

Here is my employment history

2004 week long work experience

2005 had a week long work experience

2007-2008 worked in my college library

2014-2015 worked for 6 months doing contract work

2019 worked for 2 weeks in a factory for disabled people


Given my history of employment which I have listed above do you think most employers will never hire me for a job?


@Jamesy

No jobs in IT that you could do?

What are your interests?



smartHulk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2021
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 89

13 Nov 2021, 6:30 am

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
smartHulk wrote:
To be honest I just can't grasp how some people can't find something to earn a living for years, especially nowadays. I've been earning some money secretly from my parents since I was like 10, washing cars, selling newspapers, painting buildings, cutting trees, fixing computers. I did it on my own or with couple friends, don't ever remember trying to get a job. I'm not a businessman, just self employed, working on my own, can't imagine waiting for someone to give me a job, tell me what to do.

There is e-bay, etsy, thousands little gigs online, platforms like fiverr, upwork, etc. you can easily earn decent income sitting in your bedroom, doing some simple s**t you can learn in less than a week online. You don't need to have a CS degree or complex skills, there are literally 12 year old kids earning $3000+ selling 3D prints of freely available models in their free time.

If you are unemployed, find something you like and start learning and doing it, literally any small income from little gigs or even trying and failing, but learning in process is better than doing nothing at all.


@smartHulk

Just to clarify they are selling 3D printed items or selling just 3D designs?


Younger kids usually just print, 3D design requires a little more skills, but I've seen kids successfully selling pretty cool designs too. Some people make a decent income without selling anything, just posting timelapses, some channels make so much money this is ridiculous, estimating from views, subscribers, sponsorships and affiliate links some easily could be millionaires.



TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 Feb 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 487
Location: Planet Emorf

13 Nov 2021, 6:45 am

smartHulk wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
smartHulk wrote:
To be honest I just can't grasp how some people can't find something to earn a living for years, especially nowadays. I've been earning some money secretly from my parents since I was like 10, washing cars, selling newspapers, painting buildings, cutting trees, fixing computers. I did it on my own or with couple friends, don't ever remember trying to get a job. I'm not a businessman, just self employed, working on my own, can't imagine waiting for someone to give me a job, tell me what to do.

There is e-bay, etsy, thousands little gigs online, platforms like fiverr, upwork, etc. you can easily earn decent income sitting in your bedroom, doing some simple s**t you can learn in less than a week online. You don't need to have a CS degree or complex skills, there are literally 12 year old kids earning $3000+ selling 3D prints of freely available models in their free time.

If you are unemployed, find something you like and start learning and doing it, literally any small income from little gigs or even trying and failing, but learning in process is better than doing nothing at all.


@smartHulk

Just to clarify they are selling 3D printed items or selling just 3D designs?


Younger kids usually just print, 3D design requires a little more skills, but I've seen kids successfully selling pretty cool designs too. Some people make a decent income without selling anything, just posting timelapses, some channels make so much money this is ridiculous, estimating from views, subscribers, sponsorships and affiliate links some easily could be millionaires.


@smartHulk

Oh you mean YouTubers?



smartHulk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2021
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 89

13 Nov 2021, 6:58 am

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
@smartHulk

Oh you mean YouTubers?

Yep. This is not something I would recommend as a reliable way to earn a living, but there are people getting rich doing it. Hypothetically I could be one of these people, they don't really do anything I can't, the only real difference is seeing the opportunity and persistently doing it for couple years.