Page 18 of 29 [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 29  Next

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,580
Location: Midwest

18 Oct 2021, 7:42 pm

Axeman wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
What happens when “stuff” gets beyond the confines of the clothing?


I do not want to give it away, but it involves nanobots that chemically change the waste material into something inert to our skin. How they do this is something I am going to keep for myself. Nanobots do exist right now. They are molecules that can be designed to do certain things. They were invented at Rice university back in the early 2000s. I have a research connection there.


That sounds too much like something out of Star Trek to be real.


Remember, science can often seem like magic until you really understand how it works. In this case, the materials are catalysts for a certain series of decomposition reactions to occur. Granted, it will take some years to get it to work just right.

By the way, a few things from Star Trek have become real in our world. Look at their tricorder communicators and compare them to early cell phones for an example.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 105,770
Location: the island of defective toy santas

18 Oct 2021, 9:08 pm

the nanobot thing is realer than almost anybody realizes.



Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Aug 2021
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,235
Location: USA

18 Oct 2021, 10:32 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Another job to get replaced soon by AI robots:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lazy-crane-o ... 00567.html

If you read the full article, it is already in progress.


I love when people lack the self-awareness to realize it'll happen to their positions too eventually.


When AI can replace my mind, I will be long out of time on earth. I will welcome it BTW. It will not matter then as it can take over the reigns for all I care. My thinking skills are hard to replace that way.


You sound like all those boomers who don't care about climate change because they'll be dead soon.

f**k y'all, I got mine isn't a healthy attitude to go through life with but good luck with it.


No, I had to earn my way in life. So should everyone else.

As for climate change, I have experience in environmental chemistry. I can adapt to my job as needed.


A society guaranteeing a bare minimum to help people reach their full potential doesn't imply that no one would 'earn their way in life', but I guess if we start from a flawed premise it shouldn't be surprising that the conclusions reached are also flawed.


Way way too many people would be content with such a minimum and wouldn't care about anything better.

Hey a commune of people like you just wouldn't work because you wouldn't be interested in producing food or other necessities. You just want to watch the world go by and have others provide you with things. That I view as a form of theft and I begrudge every cent stolen from me to support the idle and lazy.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 14,818
Location: I'm right here

18 Oct 2021, 10:35 pm

Axeman wrote:
Hey a commune of people like you just wouldn't work because you wouldn't be interested in producing food or other necessities. You just want to watch the world go by and have others provide you with things. That I view as a form of theft and I begrudge every cent stolen from me to support the idle and lazy.


Nothing like baseless slander to make your argument. :lol:


_________________
Be reasonable, demand the impossible.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,580
Location: Midwest

19 Oct 2021, 8:01 am

auntblabby wrote:
the nanobot thing is realer than almost anybody realizes.


If anyone is interested in learning more about nanotechnology, I suggest a book call “Designing Our Molecular World”. You will need some basic chemistry knowledge to be able to fully understand it, but it is a good starting point. It was used as part of a textbook series for one of my graduate school courses twenty years ago. It does help explain how nanomachines came to exist.

I have been studying it since the mid 1990s, so I do have an unfair advantage over most people. You could call it a special topic of my area.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,262
Location: Stendec

19 Oct 2021, 8:33 am

So ... what did the "General Strike" accomplish, anyway?



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 14,818
Location: I'm right here

19 Oct 2021, 9:35 am

Fnord wrote:
So ... what did the "General Strike" accomplish, anyway?


Nothing, unfortunately. Seems like lessons need to be learned for next time because until the concerns are resolved there's no reason to not expect a next time.


_________________
Be reasonable, demand the impossible.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


babybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 39,140
Location: UK

19 Oct 2021, 9:37 am

Oh well.

I've actually been waiting with bated breath to hear the outcome of this strike.

So it was in fact a none event then?



Last edited by babybird on 19 Oct 2021, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,262
Location: Stendec

19 Oct 2021, 9:39 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So ... what did the "General Strike" accomplish, anyway?
Nothing...
I suppose I could throw some snark here; but next time, maybe a little more advanced planning and preparation would be in order.  I mean, it is a great idea in principle but it certainly lacked a lot in the execution.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 14,818
Location: I'm right here

19 Oct 2021, 9:56 am

babybird wrote:
Oh well.

I've actually been waiting with bated breath to hear the outcome of this strike.

So it was in fact a none event then?


Basically. There's articles dissecting what when wrong and the main community behind it has been growing quite rapidly so I wouldn't anticipate that October 15th was the end of it.


_________________
Be reasonable, demand the impossible.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,029
Location: Aux Arcs

19 Oct 2021, 9:59 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So ... what did the "General Strike" accomplish, anyway?
Nothing...
I suppose I could throw some snark here; but next time, maybe a little more advanced planning and preparation would be in order.  I mean, it is a great idea in principle but it certainly lacked a lot in the execution.

It only works when all workers unite.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,262
Location: Stendec

19 Oct 2021, 10:04 am

Misslizard wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So ... what did the "General Strike" accomplish, anyway?
Nothing...
I suppose I could throw some snark here; but next time, maybe a little more advanced planning and preparation would be in order.  I mean, it is a great idea in principle but it certainly lacked a lot in the execution.
It only works when all workers unite.
There was no effort made to unite all workers; and no, merely announcing a general strike of all workers is not sufficient.



Last edited by Fnord on 19 Oct 2021, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,029
Location: Aux Arcs

19 Oct 2021, 10:08 am

Fnord wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So ... what did the "General Strike" accomplish, anyway?
Nothing...
I suppose I could throw some snark here; but next time, maybe a little more advanced planning and preparation would be in order.  I mean, it is a great idea in principle but it certainly lacked a lot in the execution.
It only works when all workers unite.
There was no effort made to unite all workers; and no, announcing a general strike of all workers is not sufficient.

It did need better organizing.
With a strike it’s all in or nothing gets changed.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,262
Location: Stendec

19 Oct 2021, 10:11 am

Misslizard wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So ... what did the "General Strike" accomplish, anyway?
Nothing...
I suppose I could throw some snark here; but next time, maybe a little more advanced planning and preparation would be in order.  I mean, it is a great idea in principle but it certainly lacked a lot in the execution.
It only works when all workers unite.
There was no effort made to unite all workers; and no, merely announcing a general strike of all workers is not sufficient.
It did need better organizing.  With a strike it's all in or nothing gets changed.
Good luck with that.  Most workers seem to have higher-priority issues, like paying rent and buying groceries.  Established labor unions cover this with a small stipend to meet the striking workers' minimum needs.  The organizers of the general strike made no such provision.

"Do I continue working two jobs at minimum wage to keep my family fed and housed right now, or do I go on strike from both jobs and risk my family starving on the street in the hope that someday I might be paid more than minimum wage?"



Last edited by Fnord on 19 Oct 2021, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,029
Location: Aux Arcs

19 Oct 2021, 10:16 am

And that’s a shame.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,262
Location: Stendec

19 Oct 2021, 10:17 am

Misslizard wrote:
And that’s a shame.
No, that is reality.  Are you going to do anything to change it?