Military drones are unethical,illegal, and immoral

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 6:39 pm

kabouter wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Prostitution is unethical, illegal, and immoral in many cultures.

Drones are just tools.

OK, lets look at these statements. (corrections added in bold.)

1/ Prostitution is considered unethical, illegal, and immoral in some cultures - It can also be considered as a simple fee for service transaction. And marriage can be considered as legalised prostitution, the male gets sex, the female get status. It can be seen as a way of controlling women, which in certain cultures is very successful ( not desirable, but effective).

2/ Drones are just tools - the urban dictionary definition: A sad soul who is being taken advantage of without realizing it.
Drones are important to military as they help to overcome one of the biggest problems about going to war; your sons and daughters get killed. And parents don't like there kids coming home from a war in a box, even with (so called) military honours. They are just a further extension of killing at a distance, and it does not get rid of the psychological problems that soldiers get from killing people on command.

This reminds me of a vietnam war era saying:
Fighting for peace is like f*cking for castity.

Sound logic :wtg:

I presume you mean chastity :wink: peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2013, 8:16 pm

RedHanrahan wrote:
<snip>

I presume you mean chastity :wink: peace j

Thanks, will fix it

another one is:
Old soldiers never die, . . . . . . young ones do!!

Cheers

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 8:18 pm

"There are old soldiers, and there are bold soldiers; but you'll rarely find an old, bold soldier."

This was likely said first by a soldier who stayed behind in the foxhole.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 8:25 pm

On the one hand, just because we have drones doesn't mean we have to use them and I don't believe that guilt by association is an excuse for collateral damage. Then again, they make an excellent countermeasure against an enemy that operates the way al qaeda does. Even before 9/11 they were sending suicide bombers against us while operating safely out of our reach.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 8:55 pm

MDD123 wrote:
On the one hand, just because we have drones doesn't mean we have to use them and I don't believe that guilt by association is an excuse for collateral damage. Then again, they make an excellent countermeasure against an enemy that operates the way al qaeda does. Even before 9/11 they were sending suicide bombers against us while operating safely out of our reach.

A countermeasure against facing a superior force has always been to hide among civilian population. Its one of the basic tenets of insurgency/guerrilla warfare.

The drones are not being used to attack the civilian population nor to fire upon densely populated locations. They are used on decapitation strikes and they use the highest precision weapons on this planet.

The media and the interests behind demonizing the use of drones (you bet the terrorists are among such a group) make it seem like the drones are like hordes of remote controlled B-17 bombers laying waste to entire towns and villages.

Are there civilian casualties? Yes.
Can it be avoided? No. Even if you sent special forces soldiers instead to kill these people there will be civilian casualties...because they are using them as a shield/hiding among them.

In the final equation, as cold as it sounds, it is preferable to use a drone that risks ZERO American lives, takes out the intended target and that has the same ratio of civilian casualties as using any other means would.

I really look forward to the day the drones get equipped with directed energy weapons.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 9:33 pm

Dantac wrote:
... In the final equation, as cold as it sounds, it is preferable to use a drone that risks ZERO American lives, takes out the intended target and that has the same ratio of civilian casualties as using any other means would...

"I want you to remember that no b*st*rd ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb b*st*rd die for his country!" -- Spoken by George C. Scott in the film "Patton".

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 3:28 pm

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you want peace, prepare for war.