Page 8 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 7:08 am

I think we are talking about differing definitions of Critical Race Theory. There is the academic theory from several decades ago and the more catch all current political and weaponized usages which is what most are referring to.

The term Critical Race Theory and the associated “anti racism” has only come into common usage since the murder of George Floyd. While “Anti Racism” training and education had been gaining some ground since BLM arrived almost a decade ago it has both accelerated quickly and has been widely noticed in the wake of the George Floyd protests.

I would assume due to the sudden recent interest we are at roughly the stage where we were until recently with Autism in females. A lot of individual reports pointing in the same direction but a paucity of peer reviewed papers leading to credible claims by skeptics of “no evidence”. I am not aware of a whole lot of studies suggesting anti racism education below college level is toxic or helpful. These reports point to toxicity. In the current and understandable period where the attitude is after 300 plus years of oppression and pushback against change, we tired of waiting, we are don’t want to and won’t hear about any more hide your racism calls to slow down, a lot of non careful stuff that might not be recognizable to the academics who created CRT are being done and associated with CRT.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 10:04 am

I think that the reports being referenced of supposed harm of CRT being done or proposed are about the same as reports saying that vaccines cause autism or that girls can't get racism. You might have had some semi-professional person do a report, which under peer review shows that numbers are being manipulated, taken out of context, or far too small of a sample, which has the report discredited, but then a bunch of people just assume that it is right and keeping making assumptions.

For the record, that is literally what the theory of vaccines causing autism is based on, a single paper that was discredited, I think it was a Seth Mnookin, who lost his license over actions. The name I am seeing as largely behind the more recent conservative definition of CRT, in being against, is a Christopher Rufo, who started doing it to get attention in response to the George Floyd protests. It is all a made up idea of what CRT is. It is kind of the All Lives Mater sort of response to Black Lives Matter, to have an excuse to not do anything, and not want to think about things that make them uncomfortable.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 10:51 am

Bradleigh wrote:
I think that the reports being referenced of supposed harm of CRT being done or proposed are about the same as reports saying that vaccines cause autism or that girls can't get racism. You might have had some semi-professional person do a report, which under peer review shows that numbers are being manipulated, taken out of context, or far too small of a sample, which has the report discredited, but then a bunch of people just assume that it is right and keeping making assumptions.

For the record, that is literally what the theory of vaccines causing autism is based on, a single paper that was discredited, I think it was a Seth Mnookin, who lost his license over actions. The name I am seeing as largely behind the more recent conservative definition of CRT, in being against, is a Christopher Rufo, who started doing it to get attention in response to the George Floyd protests. It is all a made up idea of what CRT is. It is kind of the All Lives Mater sort of response to Black Lives Matter, to have an excuse to not do anything, and not want to think about things that make them uncomfortable.

Off Topic
While Seth Mnookin is an anti vaxx activist it was Andrew Wakefield who lost his license. Latest on him I have seen is that he had set up shop in Texas.

So what this boils down to is two autistic people having a difference of opinion in what we think is motivating other people. I certainly find your perceived motivations plausible and would be embarrassed but not shocked if the North Korean woman is a plant. While that would be embarrassing for me it would be better for the country if the whole CRT controversy is a manufactured moral panic, CRT makes everyone aware of whitewashed history and thier own procedures leading to better behavior, less discrimination etc. etc. We will see (and likely disagree about) how this all plays out.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 4:39 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The Woke-Industrial Complex
Christopher Rufo is a magna cum laude graduate of Georgetown University and a senior fellow at the the Manhattan Institute

The Manhattan Institute for Policy Research is a conservative 501 non-profit American think tank

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 9:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The Woke-Industrial Complex
Christopher Rufo is a magna cum laude graduate of Georgetown University and a senior fellow at the the Manhattan Institute

The Manhattan Institute for Policy Research is a conservative 501 non-profit American think tank

Correct. The idea is not to show my source is unbiased, nobody truly is, it was to show he is not some blogger or talk show host that sounds like they know what they are talking about when they are they are as dumb as you or me but excel at masking it.