Facebook prioritizing different types of hate speech

Page 2 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,080
Location: Australia

06 Dec 2020, 12:52 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Antrax wrote:
I dislike the term white privilege for the simple reason that it reinforces racial classifications and thus contributes to racism, but fail to see how it violates PPR policies to discuss it here.

This site has a rule that you're not suppose to make generalizations of people groups.

Such as "Liberals are XXXX" or "Trump supporters are XXXX" or "Autistics are XXXX".

"White privilege" is such a statement.

It declares all the people in the white racial people group are XXXX.


Agreed.
But there is an additional element, and that is the term is inherently offensive due to its politicisation.
An insulting generalisation is prohibited, here on WP. 8)

All Caucasians are human. [tick]
All caucasian have white privilege. [fail]
Simples. 8)


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,080
Location: Australia

06 Dec 2020, 1:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
If the American Psychological Association recognise "White privilege" as an evidence based phenomenon then it can't really be banned as its therefore an attack on freedom of speech.
https://www.apa.org/research/action/spe ... -privilege

In contrast Racism against black people is exclusively based on "hate" which does contravene standards on most internet sites.


There are specific rulz on WP.
Insulting terminology has to be backed up with cogent arguments.

Here in Australia, we actually have what some might call "Black Privilege", so much so that there has been an explosion of people claiming aboriginal ancestry, no matter how remote.

There are even cases, such as Bruce Pascoe, of Dark Emus fame, claiming to be of aboriginal descent even though there is no evidence of this being the case. Even aboriginal elders deny that he is aboriginal.

But is it right that all aboriginals have black privilege?
Ask that question to the black communities on welfare, in outback Australia. 8)


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,080
Location: Australia

06 Dec 2020, 1:17 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
People sure are creative and imaginative when it comes to reinventing what they think "white privilege" means.

"White privilege" just means "a privilege specific to white people". It does not mean that all white people are privileged. It means that there are privileges that exist in society, that tend to disproportionately benefit white people.



The term "White Privilege" has been politicised, as I have mentioned.
It has been used to guilt/shame the entire "white" race.

Caucasians were expected to bend their knee to show contrition for the sin of being born white.
This is not new news.
I am surprised you missed it. 8O

Even European/western institution have been attacked because they accurately portray developments of western culture/society.

And the nonsense continues, to this day, because: "Morality is more important than the facts". 8)


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,080
Location: Australia

06 Dec 2020, 1:21 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
You can kinda tell it doesn't mean "all white people are privileged", since it lacks the words "all" and "are", therefore it literally can't be saying that "all" anyone "are" anything.


You need to explain this to your left-wing brethren who are misinformed. 8)


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,851

06 Dec 2020, 2:10 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
If the American Psychological Association recognise "White privilege" as an evidence based phenomenon then it can't really be banned as its therefore an attack on freedom of speech.
https://www.apa.org/research/action/spe ... -privilege

In contrast Racism against black people is exclusively based on "hate" which does contravene standards on most internet sites.


There are specific rulz on WP.
Insulting terminology has to be backed up with cogent arguments.

Here in Australia, we actually have what some might call "Black Privilege", so much so that there has been an explosion of people claiming aboriginal ancestry, no matter how remote.

There are even cases, such as Bruce Pascoe, of Dark Emus fame, claiming to be of aboriginal descent even though there is no evidence of this being the case. Even aboriginal elders deny that he is aboriginal.

But is it right that all aboriginals have black privilege?
Ask that question to the black communities on welfare, in outback Australia. 8)


I don't necessarily disagree with your points and consider that these are topics that need to be debated (one of the few things I agree with Andrew Bolt).

I also agree on WP its not right to say all caucasians are......that's not right. Although I haven't closed the door to the alien DNA theory.



Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,639
Location: west coast

06 Dec 2020, 2:53 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
If the American Psychological Association recognise "White privilege" as an evidence based phenomenon then it can't really be banned as its therefore an attack on freedom of speech.
https://www.apa.org/research/action/spe ... -privilege

In contrast Racism against black people is exclusively based on "hate" which does contravene standards on most internet sites.


There are specific rulz on WP.
Insulting terminology has to be backed up with cogent arguments.

Here in Australia, we actually have what some might call "Black Privilege", so much so that there has been an explosion of people claiming aboriginal ancestry, no matter how remote.

There are even cases, such as Bruce Pascoe, of Dark Emus fame, claiming to be of aboriginal descent even though there is no evidence of this being the case. Even aboriginal elders deny that he is aboriginal.

But is it right that all aboriginals have black privilege?
Ask that question to the black communities on welfare, in outback Australia. 8)


Because racial bias exists, every race has advantages and disadvantages. Before funeralxempire accuses me of pretending they're equal, I want to clarify that I'm not implying that at all. But a certain segment of a population may try to identify with a different race to enjoy the benefits of that race. See the numerous academics in the US that have been exposed as pretending to be black.

We should strive for a society where race doesn't matter. I'm not entirely certain its possible, but one thing I know for sure is that constantly arbitrating things on racial lines is not going to make it better. I didn't think much of being white until phrases like white privilege started seeing widespread use. Now its something I'm acutely aware of at all times. Frankly, I can't see how that is progress towards ending racism.


_________________
"Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is power."


uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Aug 2019
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 777

06 Dec 2020, 3:42 am

Pepe wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:
People sure are creative and imaginative when it comes to reinventing what they think "white privilege" means.

"White privilege" just means "a privilege specific to white people". It does not mean that all white people are privileged. It means that there are privileges that exist in society, that tend to disproportionately benefit white people.



The term "White Privilege" has been politicised, as I have mentioned.
It has been used to guilt/shame the entire "white" race.

Caucasians were expected to bend their knee to show contrition for the sin of being born white.
This is not new news.
I am surprised you missed it. 8O

Even European/western institution have been attacked because they accurately portray developments of western culture/society.

And the nonsense continues, to this day, because: "Morality is more important than the facts". 8)


Cool story. But saying things doesn't make them true. 8) Mentioning things doesn't make them true either. 8)

I have no doubt that you saw a video of white people kneeling. Your creative interpretation of the motivation behind the event are delightful. And wrong 8)

But please, continue with your game of "I said it, therefore it's true". You have a unique brand of circular logic, in addition to a remarkable ability to ignore your own reasoning when it gets in your own way. "Saying things doesn't make them true" is one of your own favorite phrases 8) Unless you say them. And then they're totally unquestionably undoubtedly true. And impartial 8) and anyone who disagrees with you would do, cos they're one of THEM, like that's not a total kafka trap.

I've explained it here for everyone to hear, left or right wing. I explain many things here. As do many other people. But all the explanations in the world can't stop a determined individual from going "nuh-uh", and repeating their narrative anyway. It's the fundamental basis of The Big Lie. It's also the basis for a subtle form of manipulation called "handling" someone.

Fun story - I've lost "Leftist" friends cos they were acting like bigoted narcissists, and told them so, in great detail. Don't you worry, I'm not shy when it comes to such matters. Besides, the "lefties" I meet typically have it right. It's usually other groups that need to be corrected.

As for "insulting terminology", anyone can claim they've been "insulted" by anything. Sorta like being "offended". Some people are "offended" by anything. Heck, some people are offended by other people being offended at things. And that's both ironic AND hilarious.

As a side note, so far you're 0 for 2 for getting your own history right while trying to "prove" somethings to me, so perhaps bringing up australia's own spotty history with its indigenous people might not be the best idea. Besides, that sounds just like the same privilege-reversal card that gets played here in america where its claimed that "black people live like kings off of welfare while white folk gotta WORK for their meals" (racist narrarrative), and "native americans are so rich and protected that EVERYONE wants to be 1/1600th navajo or something" (racist marginalization). As usual, there's a small element of truth in there, but not enough to validate it as being the norm.

The fact that they both follow the same naming convention of "(color) privilege" makes it a lot easier to pretend they're the same thing, I'm sure. But they aren't. Sneaking in the part where YOU say "all aboriginals have aboriginal privilege" so that it forces the format of saying things in terms of "all (color) have (privilege)", in order to validate your point by its own merit, is one of the more cleverly implied begged questions I've seen.

Do we also think "air sickness" means "all people who are airborne get sick"? Or do we know and understand that air sickness is merely something that CAN happen, in the air specifically? Are we under the assumption that "gay pride" means ALL gays are prideful? I can buy a "smoker's jacket". Does that mean "all smokers wear jackets"? Or perhaps "all people who wear jackets are smokers"? "White privilege" is a term. Not a judgement. Portraying it as such is just a way of preventing a conversation about it.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,606
Location: Long Island, New York

06 Dec 2020, 5:03 am

funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
"White privilege" is a racial generalization about people, so discussion about it is not allowed on this site either.


You might want to discuss that with Alex, he's been pretty clear that it is allowed on this site.

Discussion about white privilege is has occurred often in PPR without censorship. It is not personal it is a concept. "Check your privilege" is personal.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,669
Location: Brisbane, Australia

06 Dec 2020, 5:38 am

Pepe wrote:
The term "White Privilege" has been politicised, as I have mentioned.
It has been used to guilt/shame the entire "white" race.

Caucasians were expected to bend their knee to show contrition for the sin of being born white.
This is not new news.
I am surprised you missed it. 8O

Even European/western institution have been attacked because they accurately portray developments of western culture/society.

And the nonsense continues, to this day, because: "Morality is more important than the facts". 8)


I am confused what source you are using that says that white privilege is about making people feel shame about being white. It is about having people recognise common advantages or disadvantages based on their skin or ancestry. If you have even seen some black person looked at as suspiciously, or maybe felt a sudden unconscious bias because someone is not white, you should understand what white privilege is.

And if there is only such a thing as "black privilege" here in Australia, then why if I turn on the tv and watch the news or something celebrities it almost certainly going to be white people? I think someone is buying into certain suspicious narratives if they are buying into things like people are being unfairly privileged because of programs like reduced tuition for people who are of Aboriginal or Islander descent, especially considering how much poverty many of those communities have.


_________________
Through dream I travel, at lantern's call
To consume the flames of a kingdom's fall


TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,092
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

06 Dec 2020, 6:26 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
"White privilege" is a racial generalization about people, so discussion about it is not allowed on this site either.


You might want to discuss that with Alex, he's been pretty clear that it is allowed on this site.

Discussion about white privilege is has occurred often in PPR without censorship. It is not personal it is a concept. "Check your privilege" is personal.

Lots of banned content gets discussed, until someone challenges it.


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 59,880
Location: Over there

06 Dec 2020, 9:19 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It is not personal it is a concept. "Check your privilege" is personal.
uncommondenominator wrote:
"White privilege" is a term. Not a judgement. Portraying it as such is just a way of preventing a conversation about it.
It really is this simple.


_________________
Giraffe: a ruminant with a view.


Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 59,880
Location: Over there

06 Dec 2020, 9:28 am

Pepe wrote:
The term "White Privilege" has been politicised, as I have mentioned.
It has been used to guilt/shame the entire "white" race.
Just because a term has been used for some nefarious purpose doesn't mean that henceforth, that usage magically defines its sole usage.


_________________
Giraffe: a ruminant with a view.


TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,092
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

06 Dec 2020, 1:05 pm

Cornflake wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
It is not personal it is a concept. "Check your privilege" is personal.
uncommondenominator wrote:
"White privilege" is a term. Not a judgement. Portraying it as such is just a way of preventing a conversation about it.
It really is this simple.

Black people are XXXX ... is OK too?

Where XXX is a racial generalization?

For years, mods on this site have said it's not OK.

Mod Skillpaddle particularly has stepped into this issue.

Mods have argued that generalizations are personal.


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


Last edited by TheRobotLives on 06 Dec 2020, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 59,880
Location: Over there

06 Dec 2020, 1:11 pm

Please re-read what you've quoted.
What you're doing above is making an accusation, a judgement. "White privilege" is a term, not a judgement.
Like how "black power", "gay pride", "apolitical" are terms, not judgements - but like "white privilege" (and many, many other terms) they can be used in an accusation.


_________________
Giraffe: a ruminant with a view.


TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,092
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

06 Dec 2020, 1:22 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Please re-read what you've quoted.
What you're doing is making an accusation, a judgement. "White privilege" is a term, not a judgement.
The term is a judgement that white people have privilege.

It's a racial generalization that white people are XXXX.

This form of argument has been banned on this site, because mods have interpreted the generalization to apply to all individuals in the group, and thus, violate , the personal attack rule.


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,092
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

06 Dec 2020, 1:35 pm

If allowed, then I would think a topic like, "Black Crime" would be OK.

Likely, interpreted as a racist generalization.

However, 1) it's a term, and 2) one-sided factual crime data can be presented to show "it's not a judgement" but rather, true.


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


Last edited by TheRobotLives on 06 Dec 2020, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.