Facebook prioritizing different types of hate speech

Page 4 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,092
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

06 Dec 2020, 5:11 pm

This discussion is very relevant to Americans, as President Trump has banned government discussion of White privilege for being ""divisive, anti-American propaganda."

Trump Tells Agencies To End Trainings On 'White Privilege' And 'Critical Race Theory'
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/05/91005349 ... race-theor


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,497

06 Dec 2020, 6:28 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
It's a racial generalization that white people are XXXX.
.


I am struggling to remember the last time I saw somebody post this on WP? much ado about nothing.

It came up a lot in Trump topics with generalizations about Trump supporters.

Mod Skillpaddle stepped in a lot to point out the rule that people generalizations are not allowed, because it's interpreted to be a personal attack on every member in the group.

(It's not in the written rules, so it catches members off guard, which is why a mod had to step in).


How is it wrong to say that Trump is racist and coincidentally a disproportionate amount of his support come from whites



uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Aug 2019
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 791

06 Dec 2020, 7:35 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
"White privilege" is so misunderstood by many. it is not an insult nor an attack. It just means you get benefits from it you didn't even earn. Like as a white person, I don't even need to worry I will get attacked or assaulted by the cops when I am pulled over or stopped by one. I have no fear just as long as I comply to their commands and answer their questions. But as a person of color, this is not so simple because you can still be assaulted and attacked even if you are complying because of implicit bias.

Our reality is ruled by probability.

Among billions of people, there are no absolutes.

You may think people have only 1 head, 1 heart, 1 gender ... and there are examples to prove you wrong.

Probability suggests to me that non-white people have an equal number of ADVANTAGES.

Your perspective appears to be one-sided, and you appear to ignore their ADVANTAGES to make your argument.

Your argument appears to suggest: whoever, whatever the circumstance, whenever, the white person always has probability on their side, and comes out as the privileged one. It defies probability.


Spoken like someone with absolutely zero grasp of how probability works. Probability is not a universal reference point. "White privilege" recognizes the social workings that make people who are white MORE probably to receive a positive consequence, and less probable to receive a negative consequence.

The way you're portraying probability, everyone has the exact same odds of getting struck by lightening, even if one person is in alaska inside a house, and the other one is in the middle of a lightning storm in florida while hugging a flagpole in a field. Probability is neither constant nor immutable. It is an eternal variable that depends entirely on the circumstances present in the situation. Ergo, if a society is built to inherently favor white people over non-white people, there IS a greater probability of it benefitting white people. The end.

Ironically, "there ARE NO absolutes" is an absolute statement. Paradox much?

You can take things to suggest whatever you want, just like anyone can take anything to mean whatever they want. Saying things doesn't make them true. Believing things doesn't make them true either, except in the mind of the believer.

You seem to be fishing for arguments, it appears you threw out several off-the-cuff thoughts.

You start off with a stupid statement that I don't understand probability, then you make a stupid argument that a sentence is an absolute, when I was talking about people, then you assume I was talking about different circumstances. You can't explain yourself without involving me. You don't ask for clarification. You're all over the place. Then you end it with that I am "just saying things" , which I guess makes sense cause you can't deal with them on an intellectual level.

When I said, "there are no absolutes", I was referring to humans.

In our reality, only self-defined absolutes exist, such as ideas, like the sentence you point out, or neutrons and protons. I made a topic about this on this site.

Regarding probability, probability is a function of time and numbers, so in one context, at one time, probability can defy odds.

I think it's possible that what you think is an advantage, over time and large number, might even out.


Your inability to comprehend is not my liability.

Your inability to comprehend is not proof of my "stupidity". Thank you for your opinion, but I really don't care if you think I'm stupid. I'm not, so there's no need for me to defend the claim. Also, thank you for the fine example of a strawman attack.

So you meant no absolutes when it comes to HUMANS. Moving goal posts. Ok. So, since there are NO ABSOLUTES when it comes to HUMANS, then I guess "all humans are mammals" and "all humans are warm blooded" can't possibly be accurate, since "there are NO ABSOULTES when it comes to HUMANS". Right? Or do you need to move the goal posts again?

Additionally, in statistics, ANYTHING "averages out" in a big enough data table. It's called "regression to the mean." If you insert enough extraneous data, any deviation can get absorbed into the collective mass of a dataset, and be ignored as "unlikely". Either you knew that already, and ignored it to make yourself look "right", or you didn't know that already, in which case, you don't actually know statistics as well as you think you do. Also, time is in no way an essential dimension of statistics. Plenty of stats can be explored in great detail without involving time in any way whatsoever. In, fact, "statistics over time" comes WAAAAAYYY after a ton of other fundamental ideas and concepts when it comes to utilizing statistics. Standard distribution, normal standard distribution, Z values, Chi values, deviation, variance, percentile vs statistic, whole vs sample - none of them need "time" anywhere near them to function properly. Sorry but, you DON'T understand probability as well as you think you do, if that's how you assert statistics works. Fuss about it all you want, but that's how it looks.

The mods have explained the logic of their decision. People just keep ignoring it, or acting like the mods are biased.

Trump's ban applies to government agencies. WP is NOT a government agency.

Pointing at trumps ban is cool and all, but it assumes that he's acting in good faith. Something con-men are not known for doing. Seems more like he's just trying to stop people from having a relevant conversation - much like people on here are doing. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...!"

Further more, banning a topic treads in to the realm of freedom of speech. S'funny how people scream bloody murder when they think their first amendment right is being squelched, but then don't even bat an eye when things like this are done. Freedom of speech is usually only restricted under the rule of strict scrutiny. Proving that this falls under that provision would be more than a little difficult. "It's BAD!" isn't enough to get it "banned".

So, we're just gonna keep talking about white privilege, since the MODS say it's ok. If this displeases you, you are welcome to opine, but others are not obligated to indulge.



Last edited by uncommondenominator on 06 Dec 2020, 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,203
Location: Stendec

06 Dec 2020, 7:47 pm

Clicking past someone's annoying Facebook posts: A good feeling. :)

Blocking someone because their Facebook posts are annoying: A better feeling. :D

Image

... A totally PRICELESS feeling!! :lol:


_________________
 
• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans • Custodiamus Veritas •
• Et Serviunt Qui Non Videntur •


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 18,299
Location: I'm right here

06 Dec 2020, 7:52 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
This discussion is very relevant to Americans, as President Trump has banned government discussion of White privilege for being ""divisive, anti-American propaganda."

Trump Tells Agencies To End Trainings On 'White Privilege' And 'Critical Race Theory'
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/05/91005349 ... race-theor


And how exactly does that have any bearing on anyone who doesn't work in the US federal government? He can demand political correctness within his administration but that's not relevant to the real world. The facts don't care about his feelings.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Aug 2019
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 791

06 Dec 2020, 8:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
This discussion is very relevant to Americans, as President Trump has banned government discussion of White privilege for being ""divisive, anti-American propaganda."

Trump Tells Agencies To End Trainings On 'White Privilege' And 'Critical Race Theory'
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/05/91005349 ... race-theor


And how exactly does that have any bearing on anyone who doesn't work in the US federal government? He can demand political correctness within his administration but that's not relevant to the real world. The facts don't care about his feelings.


EEEEEEEEEEXACTLY!

Not to mention that Trump is more than likely a massive racist, so it suits his agenda to stifle discussions that deviate from or invalidate his usual racist rhetoric. Racist stereotypes fall apart if you question them too much. Preventing them from being questioned serves to solidify them.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,349
Location: Long Island, New York

06 Dec 2020, 9:02 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
"White privilege" is a racial generalization about people, so discussion about it is not allowed on this site either.


You might want to discuss that with Alex, he's been pretty clear that it is allowed on this site.

Discussion about white privilege is has occurred often in PPR without censorship. It is not personal it is a concept. "Check your privilege" is personal.

Lots of banned content gets discussed, until someone challenges it.

I am strongly against the concept of "white privilege". I want to be allowed to state my objection to the concept and not be censored. Censoring a concept is pretending a concept does not exist.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,101
Location: Pacific Northwest

06 Dec 2020, 9:58 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
"White privilege" is a racial generalization about people, so discussion about it is not allowed on this site either.


You might want to discuss that with Alex, he's been pretty clear that it is allowed on this site.

Discussion about white privilege is has occurred often in PPR without censorship. It is not personal it is a concept. "Check your privilege" is personal.

Lots of banned content gets discussed, until someone challenges it.

I am strongly against the concept of "white privilege". I want to be allowed to state my objection to the concept and not be censored. Censoring a concept is pretending a concept does not exist.


How does "white privilege" censor you?


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,639
Location: west coast

06 Dec 2020, 10:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
"White privilege" is a racial generalization about people, so discussion about it is not allowed on this site either.


You might want to discuss that with Alex, he's been pretty clear that it is allowed on this site.

Discussion about white privilege is has occurred often in PPR without censorship. It is not personal it is a concept. "Check your privilege" is personal.

Lots of banned content gets discussed, until someone challenges it.

I am strongly against the concept of "white privilege". I want to be allowed to state my objection to the concept and not be censored. Censoring a concept is pretending a concept does not exist.


How does "white privilege" censor you?


Robot says discussing "white privilege" is against site rules. Pretty sure AsPartofMe is expressing they don't want discussion of "white privilege" censored so they can express their opposition to the concept.

I think the concept is fine, it describes a phenomenon that exists in society. I dislike how people emphasize this phenomenon because I think it's destructive to focus on racial differences. But, I agree its a silly interpretation of the forum rules to say it can't be discussed.


_________________
"Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is power."


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,497

06 Dec 2020, 10:31 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am strongly against the concept of "white privilege". I want to be allowed to state my objection to the concept and not be censored. Censoring a concept is pretending a concept does not exist.


This is a recognised psychological phenomenon but nobody is preventing you from critiquing it.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 18,299
Location: I'm right here

06 Dec 2020, 10:34 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am strongly against the concept of "white privilege". I want to be allowed to state my objection to the concept and not be censored. Censoring a concept is pretending a concept does not exist.


This is a recognised psychological phenomenon but nobody is preventing you from critiquing it.


If posters who desire to have the topic banned succeeded at that goal it would prevent him from critiquing it.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,183
Location: A swiftly tilting planet

06 Dec 2020, 10:36 pm

Nobody in their right mind is on Facebook. Their entire business model is a matter of digitally hijacking the reward systems of the brain. This entire discussion is moot because the very notion of Facebook is in itself somewhat hateful. If the service is free, people are the product.


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,092
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

06 Dec 2020, 11:04 pm

Antrax wrote:

Robot says discussing "white privilege" is against site rules. Pretty sure AsPartofMe is expressing they don't want discussion of "white privilege" censored so they can express their opposition to the concept.

I think the concept is fine, it describes a phenomenon that exists in society. I dislike how people emphasize this phenomenon because I think it's destructive to focus on racial differences. But, I agree its a silly interpretation of the forum rules to say it can't be discussed.

I got warning for elaborating on how Western culture has been superior to other cultures. This is taught in college. However, here, such a suggestion can be considered racist -- if someone complains.

This site is very reactive to complainers.

On this site, maybe you've noticed, most frequent posters on the right are banned ?

Likely, on a different day, after this discussion has been forgotten, a member will be banned for suggesting supposed axiomatic truths about a non-white racial group, primarily, because it will receive a lot accusations of racism.


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,183
Location: A swiftly tilting planet

06 Dec 2020, 11:08 pm

That's because racism is a matter of people being too focused on comparing & contrasting people. What you may not see as your own racial bias may in fact just be pointlessly judgemental no matter how you cut it.


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,183
Location: A swiftly tilting planet

06 Dec 2020, 11:11 pm

I think participating in a blue & white federally funded social media experiment that puts everyone in neat little boxes covered in hashtags & demands use of your real name is kind of racist too.

Bottom line, Facebook undermines people's ability to live within their own real identities.


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,497

06 Dec 2020, 11:54 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
I got warning for elaborating on how Western culture has been superior to other cultures. This is taught in college. However, here, such a suggestion can be considered racist -- if someone complains.


Would doubt the word "superior" would ever be used in higher education to compare one culture over another. It sounds like you misheard or misinterpreted what your college lecturer said.