Will an Amy Coney Barret judiciary overturn Roe v. Wade?

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What do you think?
Yes, Roe v. Wade is doomed! 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
It is possible, and will likely happen soon. 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but in the far future. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Probably not, but there is a chance it could. 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Barret won't overrule Roe (Stare decisis) 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
No it won't be. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 5:59 pm

Mechanical_Judiciary wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I always felt that the flagship argument against abortion stems from the realization that if your mom aborted you, you wouldn't be alive.

You are lucky and arrogant because you permanently survived that ongoing holocaust known as on-demand abortion - an ongoing largescale operation partially funded by my taxes.

Worst.
Argument.
Ever.

Only living people get to discuss what rights people have or deserve. What a profound realization, that former people and potential people don't get to weigh in.

Your joking right? I am an astronomer and yet it doesn't take to be an astronomer to realize that a fetus is well... living???!

It has a fixed genetic codex; ongoing cellular multiplication - are you nuts?

Fly larvae are living to, but if you have an infestation of flies and larvae you're probably going to want to kill them. Plants are alive and meat we eat was live animals before it came to our table. Even tape-worms are living and usually they must be removed which kills them.

The argument totally fails when you realize that with the exception of rape.... getting pregnant was a choice.

Yes but you said abortion has no place in society, so you likely would not even support it in that case.

Also, I don't agree its not a choice outside of that there is still a chance of pregnancy even while practicing various birth control methods.

If the intent is not to have a child than getting pregnant was not a willful choice, and thus there should be options to terminate. Also, this safe legal access also will help in cases of rape though some women in this position do still choose to have the child but they certainly should not have to.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 6:02 pm

Freedom of choice over what happens with ones own body , should be a fundamental Right , I feel

where ever you go ,there you are

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2020, 6:03 pm

SL,

I made no statement on whether I supported statue authorizing abortion rights for rape; merely I stated that there was no discretion on getting pregnant from rape.

I don't support abortion rights for rape, only the rare exception of when a women's life is in danger.

Thank you,

Chris

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2020, 6:04 pm

Jakki wrote:
Freedom of choice over what happens with ones own body , should be a fundamental Right , I feel

Not from my money.

Thank you,

Chris

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 6:09 pm

SL,

I made no statement on whether I supported statue authorizing abortion rights for rape; merely I stated that there was no discretion on getting pregnant from rape.

I don't support abortion rights for rape, only the rare exception of when a women's life is in danger.

Life altering physical changes are a guaranteed outcome and the physical demands by themselves (even barring any complications) are why I 100% support the inherent right to end an unwanted or unplanned pregnancy. The owner of the body being asked to bear those demands is the only person who's opinion matters to me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 6:21 pm

SL,

But why should you have a say? I mean by all means express any opinion you have on it, not saying you don't have a right to do that....but at the end of the day do you really want to be that involved with other peoples personal business?

Also though rape can do a lot of damage, certainly seems cruel to force them to endure a pregnancy that was literally forced. Then there is of course the problem of if the victim was underage but already had their period so were able to get pregnant...what then. I certainly do not think the right choice would be to make a raped 12 year old for instance(I finished puberty when I was 12) carry a baby to term. Sorry if that is disturbing but that is the reality when there is meddling with abortion rights.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 6:25 pm

It's highly unlikely. At this point Roe v. Wade has a substantial amount of court precedent that would be overturned.

John Roberts won't overturn it. I don't think Gorsuch, Alito, or Kavanaugh will either. Thomas has the independence to do so, and Barret is more of an unknown, due to her strong religious values she might.

Far more likely is that the court will be less likely to strike down laws increasing restrictions on abortions.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 6:33 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
SL,

But why should you have a say? I mean by all means express any opinion you have on it, not saying you don't have a right to do that....but at the end of the day do you really want to be that involved with other peoples personal business?

Also though rape can do a lot of damage, certainly seems cruel to force them to endure a pregnancy that was literally forced. Then there is of course the problem of if the victim was underage but already had their period so were able to get pregnant...what then. I certainly do not think the right choice would be to make a raped 12 year old for instance(I finished puberty when I was 12) carry a baby to term. Sorry if that is disturbing but that is the reality when there is meddling with abortion rights.

The reality in a lot of places where abortion is banned but with these exemptions is that the victim has to appeal to the courts to be allowed to terminate and the proceedings drag out long enough that it becomes too risky to terminate and they're forced to carry to term.

Basically the process of asking to be allowed to qualify for the exemption is used as a disincentive to punish the victim further for their terrible act of getting raped. This even plays out with underage, severely disabled rape victims.

It doesn't matter how noble their claimed intentions are when the outcomes are so brutally dehumanizing.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 6:43 pm

No. The abortion issue is used effectively for political leverage on the right. They'll continue to utilize this tool, much like a carrot dangled in front of a hungry animal.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

alphaEmpathy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2020, 12:26 am

Self-explanatory. What do you think is the future of abortion rights?

As a Catholic I believe life begins at conception....

I do agree with you that life begins at conception. It's not going to be sentient life yet, but even a zygote is alive. I'd argue even the individual gametes are alive. The harsh part is what the alternatives might be for the not-yet-baby in the future. Women have their reasons for getting abortions, and they'll get them regardless of the law.

Unfortunately, I also know of two cases where they were convinced into getting them by the father. One was my best friend who realized she was pregnant a couple months after breaking up with her boyfriend, and told him she was pregnant. She wanted to keep the baby but convinced her that they'd get back together if she got the abortion, then ghosted her right after she did it.

The other was my great great great grandma whose husband pushed her to because they couldn't afford another child, but abortion wasn't legal so she died from the complications. There's multiple letters she wrote about how she never wanted to get it, and she blamed my great great great grandpa.

That isn't to say that abortion should be illegal in the off-chance that some guy convinces a woman to get one when she doesn't want to, but that if illegal it's possible she'd die doing something she didn't even want to do in the first place. Even if the woman isn't convinced by a guy, there's always going to be a part of her that wishes she never had to. The idea people have that women get abortions just because they feel like it is ridiculous.

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2020, 4:57 am

Antrax wrote:
It's highly unlikely. At this point Roe v. Wade has a substantial amount of court precedent that would be overturned.

John Roberts won't overturn it. I don't think Gorsuch, Alito, or Kavanaugh will either. Thomas has the independence to do so, and Barret is more of an unknown, due to her strong religious values she might.

Far more likely is that the court will be less likely to strike down laws increasing restrictions on abortions.

You are mistaken. On June Medical v. Gee, Gorsuch Alito and Kavanaugh attempted to uphold abortion statue that severely limited abortion access in Texas. I am under the impression they will go further.

Thank you,

Chris

Last edited by Mechanical_Judiciary on 13 Dec 2020, 5:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2020, 5:10 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
SL,

Whether I have a say is purely geopolitical. Not even in Poland can you have an abortion anymore where there are fetal defects. For the United States, as far as I am concerned such prospect is entirely imminent.

Thank you,

Chris

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2020, 5:13 am

alphaEmpathy wrote:
Self-explanatory. What do you think is the future of abortion rights?

As a Catholic I believe life begins at conception....

I do agree with you that life begins at conception. It's not going to be sentient life yet, but even a zygote is alive. I'd argue even the individual gametes are alive. The harsh part is what the alternatives might be for the not-yet-baby in the future. Women have their reasons for getting abortions, and they'll get them regardless of the law.

Unfortunately, I also know of two cases where they were convinced into getting them by the father. One was my best friend who realized she was pregnant a couple months after breaking up with her boyfriend, and told him she was pregnant. She wanted to keep the baby but convinced her that they'd get back together if she got the abortion, then ghosted her right after she did it.

The other was my great great great grandma whose husband pushed her to because they couldn't afford another child, but abortion wasn't legal so she died from the complications. There's multiple letters she wrote about how she never wanted to get it, and she blamed my great great great grandpa.

That isn't to say that abortion should be illegal in the off-chance that some guy convinces a woman to get one when she doesn't want to, but that if illegal it's possible she'd die doing something she didn't even want to do in the first place. Even if the woman isn't convinced by a guy, there's always going to be a part of her that wishes she never had to. The idea people have that women get abortions just because they feel like it is ridiculous.

With Roe v. Wade on the chopping block, state legislatures will unleash a whole barrage of prolife legislation.

Thank you,

Chris

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Dec 2020, 7:28 am

! magz wrote:
Personal attacks, sweeping attacks and offensive language are forbidden on WrongPlanet.net.
Challenging one's beliefs should not be confused with fighting a person.
Please, use the Report button when you see the rules breached.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2020, 7:55 am

LOL!

If the coat hang abortion fails then it is a fiat of both natural selection and divine justice. 8)

Thank you,

Chris

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Dec 2020, 8:15 am

LOL!

If the coat hang abortion fails then it is a fiat of both natural selection and divine justice. 8)

It's a mystery for me, how voicing such an opinion would be supposed to "defend the sanctity of life".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>