Will an Amy Coney Barret judiciary overturn Roe v. Wade?

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What do you think?
Yes, Roe v. Wade is doomed! 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
It is possible, and will likely happen soon. 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but in the far future. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Probably not, but there is a chance it could. 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Barret won't overrule Roe (Stare decisis) 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
No it won't be. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2020, 4:39 pm

Self-explanatory. What do you think is the future of abortion rights?

As a Catholic I believe life begins at conception....

Thank you,

Chris

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 4:42 pm

It would be an absolute shame if she does and it won't eliminate abortion, it will just increase the risks associated with abortion.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 4:42 pm

I hope not..I am fine with people choosing not to have an abortion for sure. But they should not make the choice for me.

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2020, 5:04 pm

For me it is doomed. Just a single lawsuit down the line and then...

Any abortion case winding up in the supreme court would be the final coup de grace for the pro choice movement in terms of case law.

Think about it, do you really think Barret will vote to uphold like Roberts? Roe is simply doomed.

Thank you,

Chris

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 5:21 pm

Mechanical_Judiciary wrote:

Any abortion case winding up in the supreme court would be the final coup de grace for the pro choice movement in terms of case law.

Think about it, do you really think Barret will vote to uphold like Roberts? Roe is simply doomed.

Any anti-choice victory will be short lived because eventually the laws of the land will catch up and reflect the reality that access to safe abortion services is necessary and that banning abortion won't actually eliminate it because people who need to terminate a pregnancy will still do so even if they have to resort to riskier methods.

I for one look forward to selling abortifacients online to Americans in need. :nerdy:

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2020, 5:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Any anti-choice victory will be short lived because eventually the laws of the land will catch up and reflect the reality that access to safe abortion services is necessary and that banning abortion won't actually eliminate it because people who need to terminate a pregnancy will still do so even if they have to resort to riskier methods.

I for one look forward to selling abortifacients online to Americans in need. :nerdy:

Disagree strongly. Nullification of Roe v. Wade would enable the cataclysm of recent Republican backed legislation that immediately ignores recent case law upholding abortion rights. In fact some recent Republicans law makers enacted bills precisely doing that! Ignoring the June Medical case would end up in the courts faster than you know it.

Other states will inevitably follow. Why? Because there is no precedence that protects abortion rights anymore (or even any other substantive due process rights.)

Thank you,

Chris

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2020, 5:30 pm

That is too say, I do consider that a good thing. Murder is murder. Abortion has no place in society.

Thank you,

Chris

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 5:34 pm

That is too say, I do consider that a good thing. Murder is murder. Abortion has no place in society.

Once safe and legal access is eliminated people will understand how important it is and the short-term anti-choice victory will ultimately result in a long-term resounding rejection of their misogynistic worldview. Sometimes it takes a ban for people to understand just how important something truly is.

People in need who can afford to will continue to travel to have the procedure done. Those who can't will be motivated by how unfair it is that only wealthy women can still access a vital service and rage against those who stole their rights will motivate them to solve the problem.

I'm sure Ireland believed they would never legalize abortion either and yet sanity eventually prevailed there too.

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2020, 5:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Once safe and legal access is eliminated people will understand how important it is and the short-term anti-choice victory will ultimately result in a long-term resounding rejection of their misogynistic worldview.

I'm sure Ireland believed they would never legalize abortion either and yet sanity eventually prevailed there too.

Sometimes it takes a ban for people to understand just how important something truly is.

I always felt that the flagship argument against abortion stems from the realization that if your mom aborted you, you
wouldn't be alive.

You are lucky and arrogant because you permanently survived that ongoing holocaust known as on-demand abortion - an ongoing largescale operation partially funded by my taxes.

Thank you,

Chris

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 5:40 pm

I always felt that the flagship argument against abortion stems from the realization that if your mom aborted you, you wouldn't be alive.

You are lucky and arrogant because you permanently survived that ongoing holocaust known as on-demand abortion - an ongoing largescale operation partially funded by my taxes.

Worst.
Argument.
Ever.

Only living people get to discuss what rights people have or deserve. What a profound realization, that former people and potential people don't get to weigh in.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 5:44 pm

Ok than do you want to pay my medical costs if I get pregnant? Me and my boyfriend certainly can't afford it and also you want to adopt it?

And also what of the health risks I would face enduring a pregnancy, I don't want any kids so what would be the point? I'd think terminating ASAP would be the responsible thing.

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2020, 5:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I always felt that the flagship argument against abortion stems from the realization that if your mom aborted you, you wouldn't be alive.

Worst.
Argument.
Ever.

Only living people get to discuss what rights people have or deserve. What a profound realization, that former people and potential people don't get to weigh in.

Your joking right? I am an astronomer and yet it doesn't take to be an astronomer to realize that a fetus is well... living???!

It has a fixed genetic codex; ongoing cellular multiplication - are you nuts?

Thank you,

Chris

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2020, 5:50 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Ok than do you want to pay my medical costs if I get pregnant? Me and my boyfriend certainly can't afford it and also you want to adopt it?

And also what of the health risks I would face enduring a pregnancy, I don't want any kids so what would be the point? I'd think terminating ASAP would be the responsible thing.

My opinion? At the very least keep all the costs to yourself - it isn't anyone's problem what you are facing. Why should the taxpayer body bear the burden of abortion costs? It is isn't fair, at least the state ought to establish legislation that grants some religious exceptions! Isn't that too much to ask?

Thank you,

Chris

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 5:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Worst.
Argument.
Ever.

Your joking right? I am an astronomer and yet it doesn't take to be an astronomer to realize that a fetus is well... living???!

Fly larvae are living to, but if you have an infestation of flies and larvae you're probably going to want to kill them. Plants are alive and meat we eat was live animals before it came to our table. Even tape-worms are living and usually they must be removed which kills them.

Mechanical_Judiciary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2020, 5:53 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Worst.
Argument.
Ever.

Fly larvae are living to, but if you have an infestation of flies and larvae you're probably going to want to kill them. Plants are alive and meat we eat was live animals before it came to our table. Even tape-worms are living and usually they must be removed which kills them.

The argument totally fails when you realize that with the exception of rape.... getting pregnant was a choice.

Thank you,

Chris

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 5:56 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Worst.
Argument.
Ever.

The argument totally fails when you realize that with the exception of rape.... getting pregnant was a choice.

That's not actually true. While pregnancy is a possibility, it's also a low possibility with most sex acts. Getting in a car accident is a risk when one drives, but I didn't choose to have a car accident when I left for work yesterday.