cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 10:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Russell Peters who's comedy is funny but a bit on the crude side

Canada claims him. 8)

Yeah I've watched his comedy and I think that's accurate, he identifies more as a Canadian (he grew up with black kids and was into hiphop) so was never actually exposed to much Indian culture, particularly as his parents were Anglo-Indians who generally identify as British.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 1:47 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but Indians who work in convenience stores in real life do have thick accents though a lot of the time.

Yes they do...but...here's the thing...given there is only minimal representation of Indians on TV then Apu becomes the default for "Indians" many a generation growing up with TV.

The average Joe isn't interested in geography or history or culture. Even those who present themselves as "cultured" and "worldly" tend to pay attention to what they think is "high culture" or "relevant", India and Indians doesn't fall into either bracket.

Therefore for the average American when they think of an Indian they will think of a turbaned Indian man they see in the train station who sounds like Apu from the Simpsons.

Oh I was just going by convenience store workers particularly, as to relation to Apu. I didn't know there was a rule that all South Asian characters in fiction must have white collar jobs only.

The vice president is half South Asian, and several other high profile politicians (left, right, and center), are South Asian. One of the nerdy brainiac characters in the Big Bang Theory was an Indian, and Kumar (of Harold and Kumar) was the nere do well stoner son of doctor. Americans are not that deprived of Indian faces, of varying types, in the media anymore.

You make it sound like Apu is like Amos and Andy. Its not THAT bad.