All attention on twitter bans as new gov overreach ignored

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,956
Location: Long Island, New York

09 Jul 2021, 4:32 am

The Capitol Police Will Open Offices in the States To 'Investigate Threats to Members of Congress' by Robby Soave for Reason Magazine

Quote:
The January 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol thrust its police force into a sympathetic national spotlight; like any other government agency, the U.S. Capitol Police has seized this opportunity to expand its mission and acquire additional funding.

Now the Capitol Police plans to build regional field offices in the states: California and Florida, for starters.

"The Department is also in the process of opening Regional Field Offices in California and Florida with additional regions in the near future to investigate threats to Members of Congress," notes the department in a press release.

It is vital to ensure that the actual U.S. Capitol is protected. The events of January 6 must never repeat themselves.

The department does not need to become yet another unaccountable intelligence agency involved in the dubious and often nakedly political project of conducting widespread surveillance on the American people.

But make no mistake: The Capitol Police has every intention of becoming just like the FBI and the NSA. According to the press release, it aspires to move forward "along a new path towards an intelligence based protective agency."

This development should be vigorously opposed by all civil libertarians. Unfortunately, funding for the Capitol Police is tied into a larger, fraught political narrative about right-wing threats to law and order. For many on the right, Trump and his unhinged supporters are the good guys, which makes the Capitol Police the bad guys. For liberals, it's the reverse. This has hopelessly scrambled what should have been a clear consensus that the U.S. does not need another domestic spy agency.

Case in point: Contrary to the conservative notion that liberals are trying to defund the police, the Democrats proposed $1.9 billion in additional funding for the Capitol Police and House Republicans voted unanimously against the bill. Several Democratic members of the progressive "squad"—Reps. Cori Bush (D–Mo.), Ilhan Omar (D–Minn.), and Ayanna Pressley (D–Mass.)—stuck to their police-skeptical principles and joined with Republicans to oppose the funding. But Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D–N.Y.), Jamaal Bowman (D–N.Y.), and Rashida Tlaib (D–Mich.) voted "present" rather than "no," and the bill passed the House by a vote of 213–212.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,287

09 Jul 2021, 4:39 am

Contrary to the conservative notion that liberals are trying to defund the police, the Democrats proposed $1.9 billion in additional funding for the Capitol Police and House Republicans voted unanimously against the bill.

ummm aren't there like 3-4 threads created by conservatives here on WP bemoaning how the left is trying to dismantle society and defund the police??

How amusing...



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,956
Location: Long Island, New York

09 Jul 2021, 7:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
Contrary to the conservative notion that liberals are trying to defund the police, the Democrats proposed $1.9 billion in additional funding for the Capitol Police and House Republicans voted unanimously against the bill.

ummm aren't there like 3-4 threads created by conservatives here on WP bemoaning how the left is trying to dismantle society and defund the police??

How amusing...

The “wokes” are trying to defund/abolish the police, the “liberals” who don’t enable the wokes aren’t.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,764
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

09 Jul 2021, 10:23 am

Capitol Police should be using intelligence reports to protect the VIP's & building(s). Whether they gather the intelligence themselves Or partner with the FBI/NSA etc = up to them & their bosses to determine what's best. But CLEARLY it was a lack of intelligence gathering, and/or acting on it, that led to the lethally violent insurrection against Democracy on January 6th.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Contrary to the conservative notion that liberals are trying to defund the police, the Democrats proposed $1.9 billion in additional funding for the Capitol Police and House Republicans voted unanimously against the bill.

ummm aren't there like 3-4 threads created by conservatives here on WP bemoaning how the left is trying to dismantle society and defund the police??

How amusing...

The “wokes” are trying to defund/abolish the police, the “liberals” who don’t enable the wokes aren’t.


No. Critical thinkers are proposing police reform. Giving police the right tools and training to deal with civilians without so many injuries, shootings, or deaths, as well as re-allocating police funding to other types of interventions like social workers & employment programs to help prevent crime in the first place. Continuing to just give police ever bigger hammers to smash people with isn't working, sooooo benchmarking policing & governance systems from countries that are more successful at maintaining peace and reducing crime rates than the USA is is a wise move.

Why continue to throw good money after bad when you can invest in something better? :?


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 50,737
Location: Stendec

09 Jul 2021, 10:30 am

My contacts in WDC tell me that this is not so much an "over-reach" as it is an opening of liaison offices in major metropolitan areas to allow the United States Capitol Police (USCP) to "Investigate Threats to Members of Congress" more quickly and efficiently on a local level.

Remember, the USCP is a federal law enforcement agency in the United States charged with protecting the United States Congress within the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its territories.  An "over-reach" would only occur if the USCP opened an office in Vatican City or some other foreign nation.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,956
Location: Long Island, New York

09 Jul 2021, 1:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
My contacts in WDC tell me that this is not so much an "over-reach" as it is an opening of liaison offices in major metropolitan areas to allow the United States Capitol Police (USCP) to "Investigate Threats to Members of Congress" more quickly and efficiently on a local level.

Remember, the USCP is a federal law enforcement agency in the United States charged with protecting the United States Congress within the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its territories.  An "over-reach" would only occur if the USCP opened an office in Vatican City or some other foreign nation.

What is is liaison offices as per your contacts or regional field offices as per the article?

goldfish21 wrote:
No. Critical thinkers are proposing police reform. Giving police the right tools and training to deal with civilians without so many injuries, shootings, or deaths, as well as re-allocating police funding to other types of interventions like social workers & employment programs to help prevent crime in the first place. Continuing to just give police ever bigger hammers to smash people with isn't working, sooooo benchmarking policing & governance systems from countries that are more successful at maintaining peace and reducing crime rates than the USA is is a wise move.

Why continue to throw good money after bad when you can invest in something better? :?

It is liberals and many elements of the broader progressive movement that want to reform the police. It is the wokes that want to dismantle the police and a lot of other institutions because they believe the system was born out of white supremacy all that democracy and bill of rights stuff was put in as as a deflection and still is a deflection from the defining characteristic of United States which is white supremacy. Thus it is futile to attempt to reform the basic institutions of the United States, they have to be dismantled otherwise all you are doing is keep the big lie that oppresses and kills.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 09 Jul 2021, 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 50,737
Location: Stendec

09 Jul 2021, 1:37 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My contacts in WDC tell me that this is not so much an "over-reach" as it is an opening of liaison offices in major metropolitan areas to allow the United States Capitol Police (USCP) to "Investigate Threats to Members of Congress" more quickly and efficiently on a local level.

Remember, the USCP is a federal law enforcement agency in the United States charged with protecting the United States Congress within the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its territories.  An "over-reach" would only occur if the USCP opened an office in Vatican City or some other foreign nation.

What is is liaison offices as per your contacts or regional field offices as per the article?
Basically the same thing -- offices from which USCP officers would liaison with local authorities in the region, as well as do their own legwork.

The point is that this effort is not "over-reach".  It is just greater on-site coverage of a jurisdiction that was already theirs to cover.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,956
Location: Long Island, New York

09 Jul 2021, 2:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My contacts in WDC tell me that this is not so much an "over-reach" as it is an opening of liaison offices in major metropolitan areas to allow the United States Capitol Police (USCP) to "Investigate Threats to Members of Congress" more quickly and efficiently on a local level.

Remember, the USCP is a federal law enforcement agency in the United States charged with protecting the United States Congress within the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its territories.  An "over-reach" would only occur if the USCP opened an office in Vatican City or some other foreign nation.

What is is liaison offices as per your contacts or regional field offices as per the article?
Basically the same thing -- offices from which USCP officers would liaison with local authorities in the region, as well as do their own legwork.

The point is that this effort is not "over-reach".  It is just greater on-site coverage of a jurisdiction that was already theirs to cover.

While at time duties might conflate, when one thinks of a liaison office one thinks of one person or a handful of people, when one thinks of a field office one thinks of a smaller version of the main office.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,493
Location: I'm right here

09 Jul 2021, 2:08 pm

Down goes Nick Fuentes.
And nothing of value was lost. 8)


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,764
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

09 Jul 2021, 3:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My contacts in WDC tell me that this is not so much an "over-reach" as it is an opening of liaison offices in major metropolitan areas to allow the United States Capitol Police (USCP) to "Investigate Threats to Members of Congress" more quickly and efficiently on a local level.

Remember, the USCP is a federal law enforcement agency in the United States charged with protecting the United States Congress within the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its territories.  An "over-reach" would only occur if the USCP opened an office in Vatican City or some other foreign nation.

What is is liaison offices as per your contacts or regional field offices as per the article?

goldfish21 wrote:
No. Critical thinkers are proposing police reform. Giving police the right tools and training to deal with civilians without so many injuries, shootings, or deaths, as well as re-allocating police funding to other types of interventions like social workers & employment programs to help prevent crime in the first place. Continuing to just give police ever bigger hammers to smash people with isn't working, sooooo benchmarking policing & governance systems from countries that are more successful at maintaining peace and reducing crime rates than the USA is is a wise move.

Why continue to throw good money after bad when you can invest in something better? :?

It is liberals and many elements of the broader progressive movement that want to reform the police. It is the wokes that want to dismantle the police and a lot of other institutions because they believe the system was born out of white supremacy all that democracy and bill of rights stuff was put in as as a deflection and still is a deflection from the defining characteristic of United States which is white supremacy. Thus it is futile to attempt to reform the basic institutions of the United States, they have to be dismantled otherwise all you are doing is keep the big lie that oppresses and kills.


Ok, so since all of that is true, scrap the present policing model and start fresh with something new that works better for all Americans.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.