Nikole Hannah-Jones Defends Critical Race Theory

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,480
Location: Long Island, New York

03 May 2021, 6:07 pm

Critical Race Theory Does Not Present The U.S. As 'Evil', 1619 Project Creator Denies GOP View

Quote:
The creator of the 1619 Project has hit back at GOP criticism of The New York Times initiative which examines the consequences of slavery and racism on American history.

The Education Department published a proposal on April 19 for federal grant guidelines that would encourage more "culturally responsive teaching and learning" at K-12 schools, Fox News reported.

The 1619 Project, released in 2019 to coincide with the 400th anniversary of the first arrival of enslaved Africans in colonial Virginia, was given as a positive example in the Education Department proposal. Also cited was the book How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi.

However, in a letter to Education Secretary Miguel Cardona, Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell and other GOP lawmakers criticized the Biden administration's praise for the 1619 Project's work.

In the missive obtained by CNN, the lawmakers outlined their broad objections to Biden administration proposals for education programs addressing systemic racism.

"This is a time to strengthen the teaching of civics and American history in our schools," the letter said, adding that instead, "your Proposed Priorities double down on divisive, radical, and historically-dubious buzzwords and propaganda."

Describing the 1619 project as a campaign that "has become infamous for putting ill-informed advocacy ahead of historical accuracy," it said that, "Americans never decided our children should be taught that our country is inherently evil," giving the lawmakers' interpretation of how the 1619 Project and CRT frames U.S. history.

But Hannah-Jones denied that her project ever presented the U.S as "evil" and said that lawmakers like Mitch McConnell are simply "trying to prohibit the teaching of ideas that they don't like."

"There is no single line, or argument in the 1619 Project that claims that this country is an evil country. And it's frankly a ridiculous assertion," she told CNN.

"I actually argue that Black people are the greatest democratizing force in this country," she added.

This isn't a project about trying to teach children that our country is evil, but it is a project trying to teach children the truth about what our country was based upon“

But Hannah-Jones said that "slavery was foundational" to the United States after which there was "100 years of legalized discrimination against Black Americans.

"Those are simply the facts of our history," she told CNN.

"What Mitch McConnell and others like him want is for our children to get a propagandistic, nationalistic understanding of history that is not about facts but is about how they would want to pretend that our country is.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 902
Location: Tulsa, OK

05 May 2021, 8:46 am

Children being forced to embrace the delusions of the mentally ill will destroy Western Civilization.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

05 May 2021, 8:58 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Children being forced to embrace the delusions of the mentally ill will destroy Western Civilization.
Yes, denial of America's history of institutionalized racism and sexism is indeed a form of mental illness.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 12,559
Location: I'm right here

05 May 2021, 9:11 am

How dare they try to teach history accurately. If we don't white wash out slavery and genocide it might make people realize the crimes that were committed in establishing this land.

Teaching history properly is vital. Kowtowing to triggered white supremacists demanding political correctness is not.


_________________
politics is dumb but very important
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

05 May 2021, 9:25 am

funeralxempire wrote:
How dare they try to teach history accurately.  If we don't white wash out slavery and genocide it might make people realize the crimes that were committed in establishing this land.  Teaching history properly is vital.  Kowtowing to triggered white supremacists demanding political correctness is not.
I have made it a point to educate immigrants to America about its real history...

• The Founding Fathers were wealthy white Protestant males, most of whom owned slaves stolen from Africa.

• They meant it literally when they said, "All Men Are Created Equal", and made no objection when the individual states defined "Men" as being wealthy white Protestant males.

• Enslavement of Africans was legal in this country until 1864.

• Women were denied the right to vote until 1920.

• Women were denied their freedom of reproductive choice until The Pill was made legal in 1960.

The shocked looks on their faces confirms that even America's allies have bought into the Big Lie of America as the "Land of The Free".


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 902
Location: Tulsa, OK

05 May 2021, 10:23 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
How dare they try to teach history accurately.  If we don't white wash out slavery and genocide it might make people realize the crimes that were committed in establishing this land.  Teaching history properly is vital.  Kowtowing to triggered white supremacists demanding political correctness is not.
I have made it a point to educate immigrants to America about its real history...

• The Founding Fathers were wealthy white Protestant males, most of whom owned slaves stolen from Africa.

• They meant it literally when they said, "All Men Are Created Equal", and made no objection when the individual states defined "Men" as being wealthy white Protestant males.

• Enslavement of Africans was legal in this country until 1864.

• Women were denied the right to vote until 1920.

• Women were denied their freedom of reproductive choice until The Pill was made legal in 1960.

The shocked looks on their faces confirms that even America's allies have bought into the Big Lie of America as the "Land of The Free".

Yet its still a better place to live than anywhere else in the world.
All of the arguments agains the USA. Its called life on Earth among Humans.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 12,559
Location: I'm right here

05 May 2021, 10:25 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Yet its still a better place to live than anywhere else in the world.


The rest of the first world might dispute this. :wink:


_________________
politics is dumb but very important
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

05 May 2021, 10:29 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
... All of the arguments against the USA. Its called life on Earth among Humans.
Oh, I make no argument against the USA; I only tell the unvarnished truth about it.  And yes, I agree that the USA is still the best place to live, in spite of its racist, sexist past (... and its racist, sexist present ... and likely its racist, sexist future, as well).


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 12,559
Location: I'm right here

05 May 2021, 10:35 am

Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
... All of the arguments against the USA. Its called life on Earth among Humans.
Oh, I make no argument against the USA; I only tell the unvarnished truth about it.




Like Lionel Hutz explains after 19 seconds in, there's the truth and the truth. You're not supposed to tell the truth, that reflects badly because it documents real problems that conservatives want to pretend didn't exist and don't matter. That's why there's an official, white-washed version they insist be taught, you know, the truth.


_________________
politics is dumb but very important
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 902
Location: Tulsa, OK

05 May 2021, 10:46 am

Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
... All of the arguments against the USA. Its called life on Earth among Humans.
Oh, I make no argument against the USA; I only tell the unvarnished truth about it.  And yes, I agree that the USA is still the best place to live, in spite of its racist, sexist past (... and its racist, sexist present ... and likely its racist, sexist future, as well).

How many of these people high tail it back to the old country when they find out how racist, sexist, homophobic and dangerous the US is?



Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 902
Location: Tulsa, OK

05 May 2021, 10:52 am

Hating America is the number one pastime in America.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

05 May 2021, 10:58 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
... All of the arguments against the USA. Its called life on Earth among Humans.
Oh, I make no argument against the USA; I only tell the unvarnished truth about it.  And yes, I agree that the USA is still the best place to live, in spite of its racist, sexist past (... and its racist, sexist present ... and likely its racist, sexist future, as well).
How many of these people high tail it back to the old country when they find out how racist, sexist, homophobic and dangerous the US is?
Permanently?  None.  Temporarily?  Nearly all.  Sometimes, they even invite my wife and I along.

The point is that many come here under the false assumption that America is some kind of "Promised Land"; but even the real Promised Land still has its internal conflicts and disputes, and so does America.  I try to help people assimilate into American society as best they can and with the full knowledge that America is not perfect.

Considering that most immigrants I deal with are engineers or medical professionals, this seems to be worth the effort.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Last edited by Fnord on 05 May 2021, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

05 May 2021, 10:59 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Hating America is the number one pastime in America.
I disagree ... hating other Americans seems to be the number-one pastime in America.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 12,559
Location: I'm right here

05 May 2021, 11:01 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Hating America is the number one pastime in America.


Criticism isn't the same as hate, believing better can be done isn't the same as expressing hate.


_________________
politics is dumb but very important
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


salad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2011
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,140

05 May 2021, 11:02 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
... All of the arguments against the USA. Its called life on Earth among Humans.
Oh, I make no argument against the USA; I only tell the unvarnished truth about it.  And yes, I agree that the USA is still the best place to live, in spite of its racist, sexist past (... and its racist, sexist present ... and likely its racist, sexist future, as well).

How many of these people high tail it back to the old country when they find out how racist, sexist, homophobic and dangerous the US is?


Well I speak as a son of immigrants that it isn't that simple. However racist, sexist and bigoted America is it still offers an almost infinitely better standard of living compared to other countries that people immigrate from, as well as being easier to immigrate to from some countries than some of the more modern and advanced European countries. Also America is no where near as sexist as countries in many parts of Africa, Asia, the Middle East and even Latin America; America is definitely a sexist backwoods compared to Sweden but definitely not sexist compared to almost any other country outside of Europe.

Even America's racism while atrocious doesnt negate the benefits America has to offer compared to other countries, such as a better currency, higher labor market, greater entrepreneurial potential, greater educational opportunities, etc. America is far from perfect but it still has plenty to offer for many people on earth.


_________________
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."

Master Oogway


TwisterUprocker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Joined: 24 Nov 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 81

06 May 2021, 2:45 am

Fnord wrote:

• Women were denied their freedom of reproductive choice until The Pill was made legal in 1960.



Reproductive choice should involve keeping inside your pants. Not just for women of course, men are responsible too.