Conservatives wanting PBS defunded due to new cast member on

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,398
Location: Houston, Texas

24 Nov 2021, 9:49 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the difference is, the racists fled the democratic party en masse when more activist black folk entered the party in the 60s, and those ex-democrats formed the core of what became today's GOP.


I was referring to censorship of TV, movies and the arts.

It seems like the right wants to go back to the days where even words like “pregnant” weren’t allowed, and back to the Hays Code.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 106,711
Location: the island of defective toy santas

24 Nov 2021, 9:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
or restricting citizenship [as opposed to non-franchised residence and servitude] to merely the financially talented.


:(

the early years of our republic were like that at least in the south. if you didn't have money, you more often than not couldn't vote [punitive poll taxes] or do much of anything else but toil for those who did. only the lucky, smart/well-connected and strong could escape this. poor whites were only barely a step above the slaves.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,394
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

24 Nov 2021, 9:55 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
the difference is, the racists fled the democratic party en masse when more activist black folk entered the party in the 60s, and those ex-democrats formed the core of what became today's GOP.


I was referring to censorship of TV, movies and the arts.

It seems like the right wants to go back to the days where even words like “pregnant” weren’t allowed, and back to the Hays Code.


I don't think there's any putting the genie back in the bottle, now that we can see sex scenes on TV that would have earned a movie an R rating twenty years ago. Then there's the whole matter these days on TV of the common use of the word $hit.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 106,711
Location: the island of defective toy santas

24 Nov 2021, 9:57 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
the difference is, the racists fled the democratic party en masse when more activist black folk entered the party in the 60s, and those ex-democrats formed the core of what became today's GOP.


I was referring to censorship of TV, movies and the arts.

It seems like the right wants to go back to the days where even words like “pregnant” weren’t allowed, and back to the Hays Code.

for us only, not for them. 2 sets of laws, one for us, another for them, considerably laxer.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 106,711
Location: the island of defective toy santas

24 Nov 2021, 9:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
the difference is, the racists fled the democratic party en masse when more activist black folk entered the party in the 60s, and those ex-democrats formed the core of what became today's GOP.


I was referring to censorship of TV, movies and the arts.

It seems like the right wants to go back to the days where even words like “pregnant” weren’t allowed, and back to the Hays Code.


I don't think there's any putting the genie back in the bottle, now that we can see sex scenes on TV that would have earned a movie an R rating twenty years ago. Then there's the whole matter these days on TV of the common use of the word $hit.

on pay cable only, not on OTA broadcast which still bleeps the sht out of sht.



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 105,152
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

25 Nov 2021, 1:13 am

They can't do that to the PBS. That's one of my favourite TV stations.


_________________
Peabody

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,394
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

25 Nov 2021, 2:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
or restricting citizenship [as opposed to non-franchised residence and servitude] to merely the financially talented.


:(

the early years of our republic were like that at least in the south. if you didn't have money, you more often than not couldn't vote [punitive poll taxes] or do much of anything else but toil for those who did. only the lucky, smart/well-connected and strong could escape this. poor whites were only barely a step above the slaves.


And it was the fact that poor whites were socially one wrung above blacks that made said poor whites willing to terrorize and kill blacks to keep that higher social status - - such as it was.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 106,711
Location: the island of defective toy santas

25 Nov 2021, 2:40 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
or restricting citizenship [as opposed to non-franchised residence and servitude] to merely the financially talented.


:(

the early years of our republic were like that at least in the south. if you didn't have money, you more often than not couldn't vote [punitive poll taxes] or do much of anything else but toil for those who did. only the lucky, smart/well-connected and strong could escape this. poor whites were only barely a step above the slaves.


And it was the fact that poor whites were socially one wrung above blacks that made said poor whites willing to terrorize and kill blacks to keep that higher social status - - such as it was.

that is the drowning pool in action.



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,282
Location: Pacific Northwest

25 Nov 2021, 10:37 pm

What is wrong with a POS character? Man their racism keeps showing.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,394
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

25 Nov 2021, 11:20 pm

League_Girl wrote:
What is wrong with a POS character? Man their racism keeps showing.


They're not even trying to hide it anymore.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,728

26 Nov 2021, 12:09 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
What is wrong with a POS character? Man their racism keeps showing.


They're not even trying to hide it anymore.


its funny how PoC mind their own business and then get rudely reminded by right wingers they aren't white.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,394
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

26 Nov 2021, 2:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
What is wrong with a POS character? Man their racism keeps showing.


They're not even trying to hide it anymore.


its funny how PoC mind their own business and then get rudely reminded by right wingers they aren't white.


Of course. Otherwise, without being able to do that would mean being white has no meaning to right wingers.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,282
Location: Pacific Northwest

26 Nov 2021, 12:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
What is wrong with a POS character? Man their racism keeps showing.


They're not even trying to hide it anymore.



Looking back, we have always had POC characters. Did they forget about The Little Rascals? Even Home Alone 2 had a black person in it and Free Willy. They just act like TV shows and films are now including POC characters. But I guess they always had issues with these things too or they had been blind to all this.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Aug 2019
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 746

28 Nov 2021, 4:43 am

League_Girl wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
What is wrong with a POS character? Man their racism keeps showing.


They're not even trying to hide it anymore.



Looking back, we have always had POC characters. Did they forget about The Little Rascals? Even Home Alone 2 had a black person in it and Free Willy. They just act like TV shows and films are now including POC characters. But I guess they always had issues with these things too or they had been blind to all this.


POC have definitely been on TV and in film for a long time. Good Times. The Jeffersons. Sanford and Son. They're ok with POC characters, even POC main characters, so long as those characters conform to the stereotypes they're comfortable with.

Conservatives have always hated PBS for the same reason - it combines two of their biggest dislikes. Educating people, and free stuff. Saying "free education" is like saying "fire tornado" to them. Going after the puppets is just the cherry on top, in the form of their dislike of positive representation of minorities.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,938
Location: Long Island, New York

29 Nov 2021, 8:15 am

MuddRM wrote:
CPAC wants PBS defunded due to Sesame Street adding an Asian-American Character

Absolute Looney Toons (with apologies to Warner Brother Animation).

Now I’m more than convinced the Right has gone more overboard than the Left.

Here’s a novel idea: how about governing the country responsibly, rather than crucifying a fictional character on a children’s show?

Hey! Cesar! Leave us the f!ck alone!

Cancel Culture.

The right has always been there.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,282
Location: Pacific Northwest

29 Nov 2021, 12:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
MuddRM wrote:
CPAC wants PBS defunded due to Sesame Street adding an Asian-American Character

Absolute Looney Toons (with apologies to Warner Brother Animation).

Now I’m more than convinced the Right has gone more overboard than the Left.

Here’s a novel idea: how about governing the country responsibly, rather than crucifying a fictional character on a children’s show?

Hey! Cesar! Leave us the f!ck alone!

Cancel Culture.

The right has always been there.



Cancel culture called out but the OP gets banned for "bad faith"

https://www.reddit.com/r/askaconservati ... c_banning/

They can't handle their own hypocrisy being called out but sadly lot of the comments had been deleted and I totally laughed when one of them said they felt gaslighted.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.