Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 10:45 am

Capitol attack panel obtains PowerPoint that set out plan for Trump to stage coup

Quote:
Former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows turned over to the House select committee investigating the 6 January Capitol attack a PowerPoint recommending Donald Trump to declare a national security emergency in order to return himself to the presidency.

The select committee is certain there was at least some coordination between the Trump White House and the organizers of the 6 January rally.

The fact that Meadows was in possession of a PowerPoint the day before the Capitol attack that detailed ways to stage a coup suggests he was at least aware of efforts by Trump and his allies to stop Joe Biden’s certification from taking place on 6 January.

The PowerPoint, titled “Election Fraud, Foreign Interference & Options for 6 Jan”, made several recommendations for Trump to pursue in order to retain the presidency for a second term on the basis of lies and debunked conspiracies about widespread election fraud.

Meadows turned over a version of the PowerPoint presentation that he received in an email and spanned 38 pages, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The Guardian reviewed a second, 36-page version of the PowerPoint marked for dissemination with 5 January metadata, which had some differences with what the select committee received. But the title of the PowerPoint and its recommendations remained the same, the source said.

Senators and members of Congress should first be briefed about foreign interference, the PowerPoint said, at which point Trump could declare a national emergency, declare all electronic voting invalid, and ask Congress to agree on a constitutionally acceptable remedy.

The PowerPoint also outlined three options for then vice-president Mike Pence to abuse his largely ceremonial role at the joint session of Congress on 6 January, when Biden was to be certified president, and unilaterally return Trump to the White House.

Pence could pursue one of three options, the PowerPoint said: seat Trump slates of electors over the objections of Democrats in key states, reject the Biden slates of electors, or delay the certification to allow for a “vetting” and counting of only “legal paper ballots”.

The Guardian revealed last week that sometime between the late evening of 5 January and the early hours of 6 January, after Pence declined to go ahead with such plans, Trump then pressed his lieutenants about how to stop Biden’s certification from taking place entirely.

The PowerPoint was presented on 4 January to a number of Republican senators and members of Congress, the source said. Trump’s lawyers working at the Willard hotel were not shown the presentation, according to a source familiar with the matter.

But the select committee said they did find in the materials turned over by Meadows, his text messages with a member of Congress, who told Meadows about a “highly controversial” plan to send slates of electors for Trump to the joint session of Congress.

Meadows replied: “I love it.”

Trump’s former White House chief of staff had turned over the materials to the select committee until the cooperation deal broke down on Tuesday, when Meadows’ attorney, Terwilliger, abruptly told House investigators that Meadows would no longer help the investigation.

The select committee announced on Wednesday that in response, it would refer Meadows for criminal prosecution for defying a subpoena.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Dec 2021, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 11:34 am

I would love to have a copy, just to see how much it differs from
 this timeline of Donald Trump’s coup attempt.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 11:44 am

Well, that's nice. I wonder if they have any plans that would benefit the people of this country. It doesn't seem like it.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 11:46 am

Oh, that is cute; I wonder if anyone else noticed your attempt to hijack this thread?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 11:51 am

So, if the Trump plan was to claim foreign interference as justification to throw out the vote, how does that implicate him in the riot? They don't sound particularly related.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 11:52 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Well, that's nice. I wonder if they have any plans that would benefit the people of this country. It doesn't seem like it.

Why do you pretend to be a Progressive when you support Trump?

And how does upholding the rule of law, and preserving democracy not "benefit the people of this country"?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 11:56 am

naturalplastic wrote:

I don't think Veg fits into the conventional US political binary. Also, the two are not inherently contradictory, if unlikely.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 12:08 pm

^Pretty much.

NP and Fnord are like a broken record. I rarely respond to them these days.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 12:36 pm

I find what Trump did despicable; it seems like that all I hear from CNN and MSNBC is how deplorable Trump was (which I agree with). Sxxt or get off the pot! I feel this is what happens when you elect somebody to the highest political office in the land and they have no experience.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 1:12 pm

Dox47 wrote:
So, if the Trump plan was to claim foreign interference as justification to throw out the vote, how does that implicate him in the riot? They don't sound particularly related.

It does not directly implicate Trump in the plan that was apparently was never attempted. It implicates his staff. Assuming Trump was unaware which I do not believe, that he hired people who believed that he would approve is reason enough not to reelect him in 2024.

Considering everything Trump has said and done his staff would be crazy to believe he would disapprove.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 1:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

And how does upholding the rule of law, and preserving democracy not "benefit the people of this country"?

I always figured VM was closer to Jimmy Dore than to Trump supporters.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 1:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I always figured VM was closer to Jimmy Dore than to Trump supporters.

My comment was construed as being pro-Trump when it was really just venting my frustration at how meaningless this measure is compared to the lack of more important issues Congress could be addressing.

Yet somehow, I'm derailing the thread for expressing that opinion which I believe is very important.

Fnord and NP are just trolling.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 4:23 pm

Has Trump ever read 38 pages?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 5:25 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
... NP and Fnord are like a broken record. I rarely respond to them these days.
When speaking the truth, one often repeats oneself; when telling lies, anything goes.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 9:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
... NP and Fnord are like a broken record. I rarely respond to them these days.
When speaking the truth, one often repeats oneself; when telling lies, anything goes.

It's crazy, right? Every time I ask how long a foot is, people tell me it's 12 inches. They're like broken records, the way they adhere to Mathist Propaganda...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 9:52 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
It's crazy, right? Every time I ask how long a foot is, people tell me it's 12 inches. They're like broken records, the way they adhere to Mathist Propaganda...

Surely you know the difference between objective and subjective, right? You wouldn't pretend not to just to be a dick.