Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,393
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

08 Jan 2022, 3:52 am

How the hell are you supposed to maintain sanity, with all this insane s**t going on? like when the world is insane how do you keep your sanity? I guess I am just trying to pretend its all normal, i got a job so I will have to start focusing on that and hope it goes well, but I am still worried about fascism Just never really thought I'd see the day that was on the table for this country but well when trump became president everything changed, I guess.

But yeah I guess how do you stay sane, when the whole rest of the world seems insane? Is it now normal to just feel insane...idk none of it makes any sense anymore.


_________________
We won't go back.


shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,553

08 Jan 2022, 3:06 pm

I recommend the two books by British-Russian journalist Peter Pomerantsev, "Nothing is true and everything is possible" and "This is not propaganda".
Pomerantsev is the son of a Russian dissident who fled to the UK. He went to work in Russia as a TV-producer in the early 2000s and describes a country where the government intentionally disseminates contradicting information about just about anything - with the result of people just losing interest in public life, because you can't actually make plans or organize if you just don't know what's going on - as an example: the government would offivially announce that anti-government demonstrations were actually government funded - and thry would fund environmentalists and the Russian version of the Hell's Angels, and let the people know.
In this informational chaos, Putin and friends are free to do whatever they want, because it becomes impossible to tell the real crimes from the rumors Putin himself spread.
It's a brilliant technique, if all ypu want is to get power and money for a while and don't care if there's a nation or a society or community left after you die.
The first book ends with Pomerantsev moving back to London, encountering some of the Russian billionaires he had met in Moscow.

The second book is concerned with Pomerantsev talking to journalists all over the world, dissecting how Duterte used facebook to get elected in Indonesia, or with the resistance fighters in Ukraine.

It's all pretty harrowing, but it helps to understand that no, not the whole world has gone crazy - but the whole world can now be gaslighted by anyone with the intention and the money to do so.
The important thing to understand though is that disengagement is the aim of these people. People staying home, depressed or gardening, not even trying to defend themselves.

Listening to Mark Blyrh on economics also helps.


_________________
I can read facial expressions. I did the test.


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,974
Location: Outter Quadrant

08 Jan 2022, 3:28 pm

Feels alot like the black lives matter protests in Portland Oregon. Public officials here taking a knee and in various other public venues .
And then non uniformed Government private security firms rounding up and kidnapping protestors at the Portland BLM protests .
by the way these private security firms are known the world over as mercenaries. And are used often by Governments to quell ( put down) uprisings . [ catch the leaders of such uprisings early enough. And you can stop a uprising] .
Have personally witnessed these type of tactics used where i live at city counsel meeting albeit , more direct use of Police Officers to remove Persons who wished to address the city counsel formally.When it was their turn to speak on the roster of speakers.


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,050
Location: Illinois

08 Jan 2022, 3:29 pm

Fascism was an element of our system long before Trump came along. He just stripped the phony mask off the government so it became more obvious.


_________________
What do you call a hot dog in a gangster suit?

Oscar Meyer Lansky


ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5,020
Location: canada

08 Jan 2022, 4:25 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
How the hell are you supposed to maintain sanity, with all this insane s**t going on? like when the world is insane how do you keep your sanity? I guess I am just trying to pretend its all normal, i got a job so I will have to start focusing on that and hope it goes well, but I am still worried about fascism Just never really thought I'd see the day that was on the table for this country but well when trump became president everything changed, I guess.

But yeah I guess how do you stay sane, when the whole rest of the world seems insane? Is it now normal to just feel insane...idk none of it makes any sense anymore.


It seems the problem is that people cannot get over Trump being President even though he's out now. You think that once he was gone the insansity will have stopped but people still want to ride the insansity train even though they got what they wanted. Makes me think maybe it wasn't about Trump at all, and he was just an excuse to get the train going.

I think another problem is is that people feel they have to politicize absolutely every issue now. Five years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if a Burger King whopper with cheeze on it, was for liberals and a whopper without cheeze was for conversatives, and they will battle it out calling each other 'Uncle Toms', if one prefers the other... and then BK will be forced to decide as a franchise who's side they are on, etc.



Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,974
Location: Outter Quadrant

08 Jan 2022, 6:53 pm

ironpony wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
How the hell are you supposed to maintain sanity, with all this insane s**t going on? like when the world is insane how do you keep your sanity? I guess I am just trying to pretend its all normal, i got a job so I will have to start focusing on that and hope it goes well, but I am still worried about fascism Just never really thought I'd see the day that was on the table for this country but well when trump became president everything changed, I guess.

But yeah I guess how do you stay sane, when the whole rest of the world seems insane? Is it now normal to just feel insane...idk none of it makes any sense anymore.


It seems the problem is that people cannot get over Trump being President even though he's out now. You think that once he was gone the insansity will have stopped but people still want to ride the insansity train even though they got what they wanted. Makes me think maybe it wasn't about Trump at all, and he was just an excuse to get the train going.

I think another problem is is that people feel they have to politicize absolutely every issue now. Five years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if a Burger King whopper with cheeze on it, was for liberals and a whopper without cheeze was for conversatives, and they will battle it out calling each other 'Uncle Toms', if one prefers the other... and then BK will be forced to decide as a franchise who's side they are on, etc.



Lolololzzzzz. Very good … :)


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 25 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 366

08 Jan 2022, 9:08 pm

ironpony wrote:
It seems the problem is that people cannot get over Trump being President even though he's out now. You think that once he was gone the insansity will have stopped but people still want to ride the insansity train even though they got what they wanted. Makes me think maybe it wasn't about Trump at all, and he was just an excuse to get the train going.

I think another problem is is that people feel they have to politicize absolutely every issue now. Five years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if a Burger King whopper with cheeze on it, was for liberals and a whopper without cheeze was for conversatives, and they will battle it out calling each other 'Uncle Toms', if one prefers the other... and then BK will be forced to decide as a franchise who's side they are on, etc.

The problem was never just Trump.



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5,020
Location: canada

09 Jan 2022, 1:43 am

NoClearMind53 wrote:
ironpony wrote:
It seems the problem is that people cannot get over Trump being President even though he's out now. You think that once he was gone the insansity will have stopped but people still want to ride the insansity train even though they got what they wanted. Makes me think maybe it wasn't about Trump at all, and he was just an excuse to get the train going.

I think another problem is is that people feel they have to politicize absolutely every issue now. Five years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if a Burger King whopper with cheeze on it, was for liberals and a whopper without cheeze was for conversatives, and they will battle it out calling each other 'Uncle Toms', if one prefers the other... and then BK will be forced to decide as a franchise who's side they are on, etc.

The problem was never just Trump.


What was the problem then? It seems like things were as good as they were going to get and people just all of sudden got their panties in a twist overy everything. What was the problem or what happened?



blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,537
Location: In a square sphere of abstract, nuanced thought.

09 Jan 2022, 1:59 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
How the hell are you supposed to maintain sanity, with all this insane s**t going on? like when the world is insane how do you keep your sanity? I guess I am just trying to pretend its all normal, i got a job so I will have to start focusing on that and hope it goes well, but I am still worried about fascism Just never really thought I'd see the day that was on the table for this country but well when trump became president everything changed, I guess.

But yeah I guess how do you stay sane, when the whole rest of the world seems insane? Is it now normal to just feel insane...idk none of it makes any sense anymore.


Trump isn't someone I support or advocate for, but he is definitely not a fascist. Such a claim is very far from the truth.


_________________
Cultural Conservative, Economic Socialist.
Christian (LGBTQ+ affirming).
Abstract & critical thinker. 2nd wave feminist.
All humans are equal before God.
Freedom, is the sovereign right, of America.
On vacation


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,393
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

09 Jan 2022, 2:35 am

shlaifu wrote:
I recommend the two books by British-Russian journalist Peter Pomerantsev, "Nothing is true and everything is possible" and "This is not propaganda".
Pomerantsev is the son of a Russian dissident who fled to the UK. He went to work in Russia as a TV-producer in the early 2000s and describes a country where the government intentionally disseminates contradicting information about just about anything - with the result of people just losing interest in public life, because you can't actually make plans or organize if you just don't know what's going on - as an example: the government would offivially announce that anti-government demonstrations were actually government funded - and thry would fund environmentalists and the Russian version of the Hell's Angels, and let the people know.
In this informational chaos, Putin and friends are free to do whatever they want, because it becomes impossible to tell the real crimes from the rumors Putin himself spread.
It's a brilliant technique, if all ypu want is to get power and money for a while and don't care if there's a nation or a society or community left after you die.
The first book ends with Pomerantsev moving back to London, encountering some of the Russian billionaires he had met in Moscow.

The second book is concerned with Pomerantsev talking to journalists all over the world, dissecting how Duterte used facebook to get elected in Indonesia, or with the resistance fighters in Ukraine.

It's all pretty harrowing, but it helps to understand that no, not the whole world has gone crazy - but the whole world can now be gaslighted by anyone with the intention and the money to do so.
The important thing to understand though is that disengagement is the aim of these people. People staying home, depressed or gardening, not even trying to defend themselves.

Listening to Mark Blyrh on economics also helps.


Hmm those may be interesting to read...I keep procrasitnating but I would like to get a library card for the libraries here so I could get into doing some more reading. It's just I have PTSD from a classmate getting shot by some random guy who came in the school with a gun. And when the announcement happened that there was a person with a gun in the school and we were going on lockdown happened when I was sneaking in as much reading I could before class started as I usually did as I was a bookworm. So now reading can trigger some PTSD stuff because my brain is relating that traumatic annoucement to reading books...so I'll get distracted because my brain thinks at any minute that annoncement over the loudspeaker in the school mentioning a shooter in the school is going to happen again.

I understand it from a psych stand point though, it worked like conditioning...a negative thing happened when I was reading and so my brain associates reading with that negative thing. Even so still makes it hard to get back into reading even though I know the reason and why it's difficult so when I do read I try and make sure my environment is as comfortable as possible so I can try to reassociate reading to more positive things. Though I doubt I'll ever be able to get back to being the bookworm I was growing up.

But yeah either way those do sound like interesting books to read.


_________________
We won't go back.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,393
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

09 Jan 2022, 2:39 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
How the hell are you supposed to maintain sanity, with all this insane s**t going on? like when the world is insane how do you keep your sanity? I guess I am just trying to pretend its all normal, i got a job so I will have to start focusing on that and hope it goes well, but I am still worried about fascism Just never really thought I'd see the day that was on the table for this country but well when trump became president everything changed, I guess.

But yeah I guess how do you stay sane, when the whole rest of the world seems insane? Is it now normal to just feel insane...idk none of it makes any sense anymore.


Trump isn't someone I support or advocate for, but he is definitely not a fascist. Such a claim is very far from the truth.


Maybe Trump himself isn't a fascist, but a hell of a lot of his supporters seem to be leaning that direction and he doesn't seem to be against it.

So idk if it quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck...


_________________
We won't go back.


MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Oct 2017
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,542
Location: Australia

09 Jan 2022, 3:24 am

It's not just Trump or even limited to the USA.
Seems like the whole world has gone mental.
I can't stand it either.



NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 25 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 366

09 Jan 2022, 12:38 pm

ironpony wrote:
NoClearMind53 wrote:
ironpony wrote:
It seems the problem is that people cannot get over Trump being President even though he's out now. You think that once he was gone the insansity will have stopped but people still want to ride the insansity train even though they got what they wanted. Makes me think maybe it wasn't about Trump at all, and he was just an excuse to get the train going.

I think another problem is is that people feel they have to politicize absolutely every issue now. Five years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if a Burger King whopper with cheeze on it, was for liberals and a whopper without cheeze was for conversatives, and they will battle it out calling each other 'Uncle Toms', if one prefers the other... and then BK will be forced to decide as a franchise who's side they are on, etc.

The problem was never just Trump.


What was the problem then? It seems like things were as good as they were going to get and people just all of sudden got their panties in a twist overy everything. What was the problem or what happened?

Economic decline. Media keeps people who are well off unaware.



Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,974
Location: Outter Quadrant

09 Jan 2022, 1:18 pm

It really does appear our media is taking us for a ride . a very bad , previous reading indicates the Russian model of population control . Keep everyone guess so that no one can figure out where the issues are, that are important . Are constantly obsured .
And actually people who dissent are traumatized to a point of not wanting involvement in the change that is needed. Early in their efforts . It actually appears a little like our country may be taking lessons from Russias methods.
Consider that Corporations control 2/3 s of our National budget ..and our media is a out growth of our Corporations . And the world Corporations know that a complliant popullation/ workforce is a useful workforce. :cry:


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,553

09 Jan 2022, 3:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
I recommend the two books by British-Russian journalist Peter Pomerantsev, "Nothing is true and everything is possible" and "This is not propaganda".
Pomerantsev is the son of a Russian dissident who fled to the UK. He went to work in Russia as a TV-producer in the early 2000s and describes a country where the government intentionally disseminates contradicting information about just about anything - with the result of people just losing interest in public life, because you can't actually make plans or organize if you just don't know what's going on - as an example: the government would offivially announce that anti-government demonstrations were actually government funded - and thry would fund environmentalists and the Russian version of the Hell's Angels, and let the people know.
In this informational chaos, Putin and friends are free to do whatever they want, because it becomes impossible to tell the real crimes from the rumors Putin himself spread.
It's a brilliant technique, if all ypu want is to get power and money for a while and don't care if there's a nation or a society or community left after you die.
The first book ends with Pomerantsev moving back to London, encountering some of the Russian billionaires he had met in Moscow.

The second book is concerned with Pomerantsev talking to journalists all over the world, dissecting how Duterte used facebook to get elected in Indonesia, or with the resistance fighters in Ukraine.

It's all pretty harrowing, but it helps to understand that no, not the whole world has gone crazy - but the whole world can now be gaslighted by anyone with the intention and the money to do so.
The important thing to understand though is that disengagement is the aim of these people. People staying home, depressed or gardening, not even trying to defend themselves.

Listening to Mark Blyrh on economics also helps.


Hmm those may be interesting to read...I keep procrasitnating but I would like to get a library card for the libraries here so I could get into doing some more reading. It's just I have PTSD from a classmate getting shot by some random guy who came in the school with a gun. And when the announcement happened that there was a person with a gun in the school and we were going on lockdown happened when I was sneaking in as much reading I could before class started as I usually did as I was a bookworm. So now reading can trigger some PTSD stuff because my brain is relating that traumatic annoucement to reading books...so I'll get distracted because my brain thinks at any minute that annoncement over the loudspeaker in the school mentioning a shooter in the school is going to happen again.

I understand it from a psych stand point though, it worked like conditioning...a negative thing happened when I was reading and so my brain associates reading with that negative thing. Even so still makes it hard to get back into reading even though I know the reason and why it's difficult so when I do read I try and make sure my environment is as comfortable as possible so I can try to reassociate reading to more positive things. Though I doubt I'll ever be able to get back to being the bookworm I was growing up.

But yeah either way those do sound like interesting books to read.


oh dear. I'm sorry to read this happened to you, and I'm sorry to read how it's affecting you.
I don't know how to help this, but I can offer a substitute in Interviews with and readings by Pomerantsev on youtube -



I hope this does ease the feeling of the world going a crazy a bit, although, as Pomerantsev says in this interview: at least in Eastern Europe, there's oligarchs -clear bad guys- who actively distorted reality. The US kinda did it to itself...

An interesting and important aspect he mentions is language willfully getting distorted until it loses all meaning.
Currently there's a debate in Europe going on, as the EU wants to label natural gas and nuclear power as "green" power. Which I guess they can, since "green", besides being a color, is vety poorly defined, so they can just hollow out any meaning ever attached to it and keep funding "green" energy.


_________________
I can read facial expressions. I did the test.


ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5,020
Location: canada

09 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm

It seems that in the last few years people just can't agree to disagree with each other anymore like they use to be able to. The thought of disagreeing is just a horrible horrible thing to people nowadays. But what happened, and why did so many people have to become p%$#sies all at the same time a few years ago?

I asked my friends about what did this, and the only answers they could come up with were Trump and the Metoo movement. But it seems like those two things are not enough to do that, and they wouldn't affect the entire world, unless they would?