Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 7:04 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
. . . Certainly, if you are unwilling or unable to respond sympathetically to a member's ongoing distress, then you should ignore that person. (Also if such a person posts an excessive number of threads on essentially just one topic, the moderators should ask that person to limit the number of threads.)
Giving attention is a form of positive reinforcement that only encourages perpetual victims and conspiracy theorists to keep posting the same litanies over and over again.

If one's responses to a conspiracy theorist's outrageous claims serve only to provoke more outrageous claims, then it seems reasonable that a lack of response to those claims will diminish their proliferation.

Recently, conspiracy theorists have seized upon the concept of pedophrasty, the use of sensationalist claims involving the abuse of children, and employed to manipulate an argument by means of an "ad virtutem" fallacy -- accusation that the targets of their claims are exploiting children and therefore lack virtue -- solely to prop up their claims and make their opponents look totally depraved and evil. Conspiracy theorists use this tactic to influence and manipulate their audience's emotions, usually because they have no facts to support their claims. I mean, what better way to turn public opinion against individuals you do not like than by claiming those individuals are involved in a non-existent pedophilia ring?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 9:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
Recently, conspiracy theorists have seized upon the concept of pedophrasty, the use of sensationalist claims involving the abuse of children, and employed to manipulate an argument by means of an "ad virtutem" fallacy -- accusation that the targets of their claims are exploiting children and therefore lack virtue -- solely to prop up their claims and make their opponents look totally depraved and evil. Conspiracy theorists use this tactic to influence and manipulate their audience's emotions, usually because they have no facts to support their claims. I mean, what better way to turn public opinion against individuals you do not like than by claiming those individuals are involved in a non-existent pedophilia ring?

Back in the 1980's, a lot of people were terrified to speak out against the Satanic Ritual Abuse scare, lest they too be labeled "pedophiles." Luckily a few brave souls did speak out and eventually prevailed.

We need similarly brave souls to speak out NOW and to continue speaking out, before the mass media and law enforcement agencies succumb again to this nonsense, as they did back in the 1980's.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 6:19 am

Far fewer people die from COVID jabs than from COVID itself—to say the least!

About 6.2 million (at least) have died from COVID. I doubt the death toll from the shots have topped three digits. I hope it’s much less than three digits!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 6:39 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Fnord wrote:
. . . Recently, conspiracy theorists have seized upon the concept of pedophrasty, the use of sensationalist claims involving the abuse of children, and employed to manipulate an argument by means of an "ad virtutem" fallacy -- accusation that the targets of their claims are exploiting children and therefore lack virtue -- solely to prop up their claims and make their opponents look totally depraved and evil. Conspiracy theorists use this tactic to influence and manipulate their audience's emotions, usually because they have no facts to support their claims. I mean, what better way to turn public opinion against individuals you do not like than by claiming those individuals are involved in a non-existent pedophilia ring?
Back in the 1980's, a lot of people were terrified to speak out against the Satanic Ritual Abuse scare, lest they too be labeled "pedophiles." Luckily a few brave souls did speak out and eventually prevailed. We need similarly brave souls to speak out NOW and to continue speaking out, before the mass media and law enforcement agencies succumb again to this nonsense, as they did back in the 1980's.
I often wonder why it seems when someone stands up and says “We” should do something, what they are really saying is that I should do it while they do nothing. Maybe because that is how it usually works out.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 1:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
I often wonder why it seems when someone stands up and says “We” should do something, what they are really saying is that I should do it while they do nothing. Maybe because that is how it usually works out.

I don't understand how you got the impression that I was urging you do something while I did nothing, given that I've been taking the time respond, at least occasionally, to grand conspiracy claims.

I was responding to your advice (here and here) that we all (not just you) not do something. These posts came across to me as advising me (and others) to give up, not just stating that you would give up, on responding to grand conspiracy claims.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2022, 8:14 pm

This was at Wellington today.
Anzac Day 2022 Karen Brewer Wellington