Why is Prohibition still kind of a thing in Texas and the US

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,737
Location: Abbottistan

06 May 2022, 7:09 pm

The fact that Texas has only 5 dry counties is the only "progressive" thing we have going for us.

Of those 5, Roberts County (in the Panhandle) is almost entirely white, and voted almost unanimously for Trump both times.

People say conservatives want to take us back to the 1950s. But in Roberts County, the 50s would actually be a step forward.

The northern Panhandle, the Wichita Falls area, and the northwesternmost part of the Metroplex are in the 13th congressional district, held by Ronnie Jackson (major Trump acolyte).


_________________
AOC 2024!


Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,511
Location: Texas

08 May 2022, 11:51 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The fact that Texas has only 5 dry counties is the only "progressive" thing we have going for us.

Of those 5, Roberts County (in the Panhandle) is almost entirely white, and voted almost unanimously for Trump both times.

People say conservatives want to take us back to the 1950s. But in Roberts County, the 50s would actually be a step forward.

The northern Panhandle, the Wichita Falls area, and the northwesternmost part of the Metroplex are in the 13th congressional district, held by Ronnie Jackson (major Trump acolyte).

Ya states like Oklahoma,Arkansas and TN have a lot more dry counties.I think Texas still has dry towns though and social clubs you have to join to drink beer.Also I think drinking communion wine as a minor is a crime in TN.I think so much more tax dollars could be raised and collected if all kinds of alcohol could be bought anywhere at anytime.I wish that you could buy everclear at Walmart HEB and gas stations.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,534
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

09 May 2022, 2:02 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
The fact that Texas has only 5 dry counties is the only "progressive" thing we have going for us.

Of those 5, Roberts County (in the Panhandle) is almost entirely white, and voted almost unanimously for Trump both times.

People say conservatives want to take us back to the 1950s. But in Roberts County, the 50s would actually be a step forward.

The northern Panhandle, the Wichita Falls area, and the northwesternmost part of the Metroplex are in the 13th congressional district, held by Ronnie Jackson (major Trump acolyte).

Ya states like Oklahoma,Arkansas and TN have a lot more dry counties.I think Texas still has dry towns though and social clubs you have to join to drink beer.Also I think drinking communion wine as a minor is a crime in TN.I think so much more tax dollars could be raised and collected if all kinds of alcohol could be bought anywhere at anytime.I wish that you could buy everclear at Walmart HEB and gas stations.


Really about minors drinking communion wine??? Those counties or towns where such laws exist could be sued for violating freedom of religion.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,511
Location: Texas

09 May 2022, 3:35 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
The fact that Texas has only 5 dry counties is the only "progressive" thing we have going for us.

Of those 5, Roberts County (in the Panhandle) is almost entirely white, and voted almost unanimously for Trump both times.

People say conservatives want to take us back to the 1950s. But in Roberts County, the 50s would actually be a step forward.

The northern Panhandle, the Wichita Falls area, and the northwesternmost part of the Metroplex are in the 13th congressional district, held by Ronnie Jackson (major Trump acolyte).

Ya states like Oklahoma,Arkansas and TN have a lot more dry counties.I think Texas still has dry towns though and social clubs you have to join to drink beer.Also I think drinking communion wine as a minor is a crime in TN.I think so much more tax dollars could be raised and collected if all kinds of alcohol could be bought anywhere at anytime.I wish that you could buy everclear at Walmart HEB and gas stations.


Really about minors drinking communion wine??? Those counties or towns where such laws exist could be sued for violating freedom of religion.

Ya I read thats the law in TN if I am not mistaken.But I think even during prohibition there was a time where all sacramental wine was illegal.I heard from our preacher that the church of Christ switched to grape juice during this time but I think that wine is more authentic.Also Liquor stores are closed in Texas on sundays and you cant buy beer in Texas before noon I dont think.Ya Im thinking about moving to TN at some point so I may have to fight that law if I ever get in trouble.



ScroogeMcDuck666
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 29
Location: Colorado

13 May 2022, 9:08 pm

I used to live in a dry town in Texas. I just had to drive a few miles to the liquor store just outside of town to pick up my sinful libations. I had to drive to the nearest city for the even more sinful marijuana. The answer is ideology more than anything else. If a town or county is dry, the citizens within that town or county are likely especially ideological, which means they're also especially tyrannical. It's a flaw in human nature that affects some cultures more severely than others.



Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Mar 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,447
Location: United States

14 May 2022, 9:19 am

As a conservative, I say...

"Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms" should be a small business, not an extension of the federal government.



Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,511
Location: Texas

17 May 2022, 1:43 am

Aspie1 wrote:
As a conservative, I say...

"Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms" should be a small business, not an extension of the federal government.

Lol I agree except on the conservative part since I am a Libertarian mostly.One time I was in the Land of Enchantment and they would not take my valid Texas ID because it was still vertical.On another trip I had to buy the beer in Texas and drink it in New Mexico.



Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Mar 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,447
Location: United States

17 May 2022, 5:41 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Lol I agree except on the conservative part since I am a Libertarian mostly.One time I was in the Land of Enchantment and they would not take my valid Texas ID because it was still vertical.On another trip I had to buy the beer in Texas and drink it in New Mexico.
With my beliefs as a whole---I'm am atheist, for instance---I'm a libertarian too. But since it's not as well-known as conservative, I self-identify as conservative in most circles, especially after the Biden-19 scamdemic and the 2020 lootings, both sponsored by George Soros. Heck, just look at my signature: it just smacks of "conservative" all over.


_________________
86 the 46
Don't tread on me!
No aid or comfort to the liberals. No way.
My rights don't end where your feeeelings begin!
Then they came for me. But by then, there was no one left to object.
If you're conservative when you're young, you have no heart! If you're liberal when you're mature, you have no brain!


Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,511
Location: Texas

17 May 2022, 7:43 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Lol I agree except on the conservative part since I am a Libertarian mostly.One time I was in the Land of Enchantment and they would not take my valid Texas ID because it was still vertical.On another trip I had to buy the beer in Texas and drink it in New Mexico.
With my beliefs as a whole---I'm am atheist, for instance---I'm a libertarian too. But since it's not as well-known as conservative, I self-identify as conservative in most circles, especially after the Biden-19 scamdemic and the 2020 lootings, both sponsored by George Soros. Heck, just look at my signature: it just smacks of "conservative" all over.

Oh okay I see.



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,181
Location: Aux Arcs

18 May 2022, 10:34 am

About half of my state is dry but it hasn’t stopped anyone from drinking.
Image


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,534
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

18 May 2022, 6:59 pm

Misslizard wrote:
About half of my state is dry but it hasn’t stopped anyone from drinking.
Image


Good for Arkansas (still drinking even in dry counties, I mean)!


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,693
Location: Midwest

19 May 2022, 9:32 am

Kansas used to be a fairly dry state back in the day. There are only a few dry counties left, mostly on the south western side of the state.

Central parts of Kansas has many relatives of Volga German immigrants who migrated there over a hundred years ago. The city of Hays, Kansas almost shuts down during Octoberfest. I have known residents from there that beer bong Everclear (95% ethyl alcohol, 190 proof) during those events. They just have a huge genetic tolerance to alcohol.

I happen to be on the opposite side of the spectrum. I cannot consume any alcohol, no matter what % it is. My body lacks the enzyme that breaks it down. To many, it is the worst thing that can ever happen. I look at it as a gift instead. My brain does not need to be damaged by the effects of alcohol.