"I pledge of allegiance to the flag of the United States"

Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sonic200
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 12 Jul 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 159

19 May 2022, 3:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Sonic200 wrote:
"for witches stand"

I have read that some kids thought that was in the pledge when they were little and said it in school.


My son thought that “for which it stands” was “for Richard Sands,” and that was just last year when he was in 4th grade.

Kids are awesome. I love this stuff.

He said to me: “Who the Hell is Richard Sands anyway?”

Only by hearing him repeat the Pledge could I understand what he was talking about.


My childhood self had no problem with that "and the republic for which it stands" part . It was that later part I could not figure out. How our nation could be "invisible".

"One nation, invisible, with liberty and justice for all".

Like...if you took a road trip north-south from Mexico, to Canada, or vice versa, you would go through the whole middle of the USA without seeing it? Because were an invisible nation? Like only we Americans are the only folks can SEE this place? But Mexicans and Canadians would just see fog? Actually that would be kinda cool. Only us initiates can see our own country. But that cant be it. I will just have to wait until I am a grown up to understand it I guess.

Wasnt until well into junior high (when we no longer did the POA) that Mom taught me that the word was "in DI visible".


I knew kids in high school who would get that part of the pledge wrong. They would think it was "individual" rather than "indivisible".



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,880

19 May 2022, 3:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
I pledge a legion
To the flag
Of the new knighted states
Of America
And toothy republic
Four witches hands
One nation
Under God
In the visible
With Libraries
Aunt Justice
For all.
Gentlemen
Start your engines.
Amen.


That’s pretty good!

Mine involved the many lands on Mother Earth, indigenous people, and something about my ancestors. It’s been awhile since I did it.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,501
Location: Stendec

19 May 2022, 3:44 pm

 

Image



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,327
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 May 2022, 3:46 pm

Sonic200 wrote:
I knew kids in high school who would get that part of the pledge wrong. They would think it was "individual" rather than "indivisible".
The word Invisible would be much more appropriate there than the word Individual


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,880

19 May 2022, 3:49 pm

Off Topic:

WP has changed.

Why are there no comments from people who are shocked and offended by such blasphemy?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,501
Location: Stendec

19 May 2022, 3:53 pm

FACT: The Pledge of Allegiance was written by a Socialist.

The U.S. Pledge of Allegiance is an oath of allegiance written by Christian Socialist minister Francis Bellamy in August 1892.  It was meant to be paired with a salute.  The salute, called the "Bellamy salute", notably looks a lot like "the Roman salute".  These facts together make the whole history of the Pledge a little odd.

Read the Full Article
 HERE 



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,501
Location: Stendec

19 May 2022, 3:55 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
. . . Why are there no comments from people who are shocked and offended by such blasphemy?
WHAT "blasphemy"?

blasphemy (n): contemptuous or profane speech or action concerning God or a sacred entity.

Who is blaspheming God?



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,880

19 May 2022, 4:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
. . . Why are there no comments from people who are shocked and offended by such blasphemy?
WHAT "blasphemy"?

blasphemy (n): contemptuous or profane speech or action concerning God or a sacred entity.

Who is blaspheming God?


I was referencing those whose religious beliefs are intertwined with patriotism - who view the Constitution as being on par with the Bible. That sort of thing.

I’m referring those who take any criticism as an insult towards something sacred.



Last edited by Twilightprincess on 19 May 2022, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,501
Location: Stendec

19 May 2022, 4:04 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
. . . Why are there no comments from people who are shocked and offended by such blasphemy?
WHAT "blasphemy"?

blasphemy (n): contemptuous or profane speech or action concerning God or a sacred entity.

Who is blaspheming God?
I was referencing those whose religious beliefs are intertwined with patriotism - who view the Constitution as being on par with the Bible. That sort of thing.
Welcome to the Sovereign State of Christian Nationalism, brought to you by the white Republicans.



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,880

19 May 2022, 4:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
. . . Why are there no comments from people who are shocked and offended by such blasphemy?
WHAT "blasphemy"?

blasphemy (n): contemptuous or profane speech or action concerning God or a sacred entity.

Who is blaspheming God?
I was referencing those whose religious beliefs are intertwined with patriotism - who view the Constitution as being on par with the Bible. That sort of thing.
Welcome to the Sovereign State of Christian Nationalism, brought to you by the white Republicans.


I seem to recall there being at least a few on here.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,501
Location: Stendec

19 May 2022, 4:12 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
. . . Why are there no comments from people who are shocked and offended by such blasphemy?
WHAT "blasphemy"?  blasphemy (n): contemptuous or profane speech or action concerning God or a sacred entity.  Who is blaspheming God?
I was referencing those whose religious beliefs are intertwined with patriotism - who view the Constitution as being on par with the Bible. That sort of thing.
Welcome to the Sovereign State of Christian Nationalism, brought to you by the white Republicans.
I seem to recall there being at least a few on here.
Well, there is your answer!

:D



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,880

19 May 2022, 4:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
Well, there is your answer!

:D


Ah.

Then it’s only a matter of time…



ScroogeMcDuck666
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 29
Location: Colorado

20 May 2022, 4:20 pm

I got in trouble when I was in 5th grade for refusing to make this pledge with the rest of the class every morning. I had done it every school day of my life to that point and it dawned on me how f****d up it was to force a child to pledge their loyalty to something they don't even understand. America is great largely because horses**t like this isn't as common as it is in other countries. They eventually relented.



firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,160
Location: Calne,England

20 May 2022, 6:57 pm

My brother went to school in San Francisco for a few years. One day he did the 'I pledge allegiance...' thing in front of my parents in a decidedly American accent. My father wasn't having any of that. My brother would've started at prep school when he was 8,like I did,but instead started there at 7.5.


My sister went here for a few years until my father's posting in San Francisco ended.


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,077
Location: temperate zone

21 May 2022, 6:19 am

ScroogeMcDuck666 wrote:
I got in trouble when I was in 5th grade for refusing to make this pledge with the rest of the class every morning. I had done it every school day of my life to that point and it dawned on me how f****d up it was to force a child to pledge their loyalty to something they don't even understand. America is great largely because horses**t like this isn't as common as it is in other countries. They eventually relented.


Cool. In my case it was the teacher who rebelled (didnt get into troube AFAIK though).

My fifth grade teacher (who happened to be the only male teacher I had in grade school) just didnt do the pledge thing. Some kids in class were surprised on the first day of school in 1965, and asked why he didnt do it. He said he didnt believe in "forcing children to mouth a bunch of words that they dont know the meaning of".



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,327
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 May 2022, 7:04 am

naturalplastic wrote:
My fifth grade teacher (who happened to be the only male teacher I had in grade school) just didnt do the pledge thing. Some kids in class were surprised on the first day of school in 1965, and asked why he didnt do it. He said he didnt believe in "forcing children to mouth a bunch of words that they dont know the meaning of".
I like that quote :lol: We had to mouth words we didn't understand in Catholic school by praying when we had mass so it's not just forcing students to say The Pledge that does that to kids. At least with religious schools, the parents are choosing to send their kids to those schools & know that the religion would be a big thing there. Free public school is an available alternative. I went to Catholic school because I had LOTS of problems at public school between bullying & my teachers not being accommodating about my learning problems but I also had those problems at the Catholic school I went to for 5th & half of 6th. My parents didn't know about the dyslexic school till I was in 6th grade, otherwise I woulda went there sooner & unfortunately that school only went up to 8th grade :( The only alternative to public high-school was Catholic school. At least the Catholic high-school I went to was aLOT better than the other Catholic school I went to.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition