Page 9 of 60 [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 60  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,873
Location: Abbottistan

24 Jun 2022, 7:07 pm

They won't stop at Roe.

They want to overturn Griswold, Lawrence, Obergefell--anything that contradicts 1950s societal norms.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 48,244

24 Jun 2022, 7:07 pm

Brett Kavanaugh is in the Supreme Court?!

(just googled)

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/biographies.aspx



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 48,244

24 Jun 2022, 7:11 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
They won't stop at Roe.

They want to overturn Griswold, Lawrence, Obergefell--anything that contradicts 1950s societal norms.


Who is "they" ?

Who's doing this?

The Supreme Court, or state legislature?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,582

24 Jun 2022, 7:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Brett Kavanaugh is in the Supreme Court?!

(just googled)

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/biographies.aspx


It doesn't bode well.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 48,244

24 Jun 2022, 7:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Brett Kavanaugh is in the Supreme Court?!

(just googled)

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/biographies.aspx


It doesn't bode well.


OK seriously, that's a bad look for USA.

I had no idea.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 84,188
Location: Queens, NYC

24 Jun 2022, 7:15 pm

The Supreme Court....state legislatures.....they are all doing it. Many "trigger laws" went into effect in certain states. The "trigger" was the overturning of Roe Vs. Wade. The "laws" consist, primarily, of total bans on abortion except in cases where the mother's life is threatened. Not even if one is the victim of rape or incest.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 48,244

24 Jun 2022, 7:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Supreme Court....state legislatures.....they are all doing it. Many "trigger laws" went into effect in certain states. The "trigger" was the overturning of Roe Vs. Wade. The "laws" consist, primarily, of total bans on abortion except in cases where the mother's life is threatened. Not even if one is the victim of rape or incest.


Did they up the penalty against male rapists like Bill Cosby, Brock Turner, and Brett Kavanaugh, so women won't ever be in this position against their will?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,582

24 Jun 2022, 7:19 pm

Malta and Ireland have such backward laws.

An American tourist (ironically) is caught in Malta in a dire situation because of their anti-abortion laws
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/paren ... a2aa4c80bf

A taste of the future for the US



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,582

24 Jun 2022, 7:22 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The Supreme Court....state legislatures.....they are all doing it. Many "trigger laws" went into effect in certain states. The "trigger" was the overturning of Roe Vs. Wade. The "laws" consist, primarily, of total bans on abortion except in cases where the mother's life is threatened. Not even if one is the victim of rape or incest.


Did they up the penalty against male rapists like Bill Cosby, Brock Turner, and Brett Kavanaugh, so women won't ever be in this position against their will?


Kavanaugh and Cosby were saved by the statute of limitations where the time left to prosecute was deemed to have expired.

Brock Turner was saved by "affluenza" where judges sympathise with other rich people's kids.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 48,244

24 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The Supreme Court....state legislatures.....they are all doing it. Many "trigger laws" went into effect in certain states. The "trigger" was the overturning of Roe Vs. Wade. The "laws" consist, primarily, of total bans on abortion except in cases where the mother's life is threatened. Not even if one is the victim of rape or incest.


Did they up the penalty against male rapists like Bill Cosby, Brock Turner, and Brett Kavanaugh, so women won't ever be in this position against their will?


Kavanaugh and Cosby were saved by the statute of limitations where the time left to prosecute was deemed to have expired.

Brock Turner was saved by "affluenza" where judges sympathise with other rich people's kids.


Do people ever sympathise with other rich people's raped / pregnant daughters?

Or is that a dumb question?



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,538
Location: Aux Arcs

24 Jun 2022, 7:25 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The people making these laws are privileged white males. Ain't going to happen.



There are no women or BIPOC in the Supreme Court?

There are.
Image


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,582

24 Jun 2022, 7:27 pm

Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The people making these laws are privileged white males. Ain't going to happen.



There are no women or BIPOC in the Supreme Court?

There are.
Image


I'm guess in the 6-3 result that the BiPOC and female are both democrat appointments one of the 3?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,582

24 Jun 2022, 7:28 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The Supreme Court....state legislatures.....they are all doing it. Many "trigger laws" went into effect in certain states. The "trigger" was the overturning of Roe Vs. Wade. The "laws" consist, primarily, of total bans on abortion except in cases where the mother's life is threatened. Not even if one is the victim of rape or incest.


Did they up the penalty against male rapists like Bill Cosby, Brock Turner, and Brett Kavanaugh, so women won't ever be in this position against their will?


Kavanaugh and Cosby were saved by the statute of limitations where the time left to prosecute was deemed to have expired.

Brock Turner was saved by "affluenza" where judges sympathise with other rich people's kids.


Do people ever sympathise with other rich people's raped / pregnant daughters?

Or is that a dumb question?

It's incredible what is made up for the sake of getting a rich kid freed from serving jail.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affluenza



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 84,188
Location: Queens, NYC

24 Jun 2022, 7:30 pm

One of the women Justices, Amy Coney Barrett (a Trump appointee), voted to overturn Roe V Wade.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,582

24 Jun 2022, 7:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
One of the women Justices, Amy Coney Barrett (a Trump appointee), voted to overturn Roe V Wade.


Trump appointee = MAGA



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 48,244

24 Jun 2022, 7:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
One of the women Justices, Amy Coney Barrett (a Trump appointee), voted to overturn Roe V Wade.


Trump appointee = MAGA


TRUMP = elected by the citizens of USA.

Appointments = part of his job.

I'm not defending Trump. I don't like Trump and never did, but that doesn't mean the woman shouldn't have her job or her say as an educated judge.

I don't know what the answer is.

I'm just totally shocked that all Americans aren't treated equally under law, in terms of what state they live in, but also which genitals they happen to have between their legs.

Are there other American laws which differ for men (you are human) and women (you are not) ?