Page 34 of 44 [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 44  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 1:05 pm

I reckon Truss will be gone by October 31st when Hunt is due to do his economic forecast.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 1:19 pm

Chief Whip has now just resigned as they were meant to be voting :lol:

reports of hostility in the voting corridors. shouting, pushing, one MP reportedly crying.

326 vote for it. Means a fair few Tory MP's didn't!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 1:25 pm

She's voted with her feet

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 2:02 pm

Well that's it now the UK has just become a totalitarian state where mps are being manhandled, dragged and threatened into voting for something against their will.

I think I'm gonna dig myself a trench.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 2:14 pm

Never heard of anything like this going on. Genuinely shocking stuff in the HoC lobby tonight

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 3:15 pm

Interesting stuff. I suppose we'll know more about what happened when the dust has settled a bit.

Apparently 40 Tories defied the whip in spite of being threatened with the sack if they did so. So the gov now has to decide whether to follow through and sack them (which is likely to put a dent in their loyalty in future votes), or not sack them (which is likely to put a dent in the credibility of future threats from the whips).

I sense the best is yet to come.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 3:27 pm

I suspect they'll be let off on the technicality that though they didn't vote for their party's position, they didn't actually vote against it. Meanwhile, they're accusing Labour of "playing politics" by bringing this motion. Politics in the House of Commons?! Who would've thought!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 3:33 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Interesting stuff. I suppose we'll know more about what happened when the dust has settled a bit.

Apparently 40 Tories defied the whip in spite of being threatened with the sack if they did so. So the gov now has to decide whether to follow through and sack them (which is likely to put a dent in their loyalty in future votes), or not sack them (which is likely to put a dent in the credibility of future threats from the whips).

I sense the best is yet to come.

They abstained rather than voted against which usually means they are fine

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 3:42 pm

So it turns out one of the 40 who failed to vote is, er, Liz Truss. Along with her two immediate predecessors. That's quite something.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Oct 2022, 4:34 pm

Apparently the whips hadn't resigned.

The bullying accusations are quite something though, as is the interview here with Charles Walker - "I've had enough of talentless people". Well yes, so has the electorate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63322533

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 4:46 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
They abstained rather than voted against which usually means they are fine

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I suspect they'll be let off on the technicality that though they didn't vote for their party's position, they didn't actually vote against it.

Bah! They have a way out after all. :evil:

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
So it turns out one of the 40 who failed to vote is, er, Liz Truss. Along with her two immediate predecessors. That's quite something.

8O I hate to employ a cliche, but you couldn't make this stuff up. So she might have to fire herself. :-D Or at the very least, give herself a stern warning.

Do you think there's any danger the Tories will realise that if they don't start pulling together they're finished?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 9:51 pm

Even the ultra-Tory Daily Express has ceased to be supportive, now describing her premiership as being "in meltdown." It was only a few days ago it was all "trust me and we'll ride out the storm together, vows Truss." Still, they're probably only trying to pave the way for the return of their beloved Boris.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2022, 7:32 am

I remember the Express, the Sun etc. turning against the Tories in the 90s which led to Tony Blair and Labour winning. It's a bad sign for the Tories if their faithful media companies turn against them.

Looks like Keir Starmer is just waiting til they have enough rope to hang themselves with :D

I read that Liz Truss got rid of Kwarteng and Braverman to bring back some more experienced politicians... er... Jeremy Hunt and Grant Shapps? :lol: :lol:

Grant Shapps alias Michael Green alias Corinne Stockheath alias Sebastian Fox :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2022, 7:34 am

Friends, this is so important that I put it in a separate comment:

It shows exactly how the Tory party is funded and who is behind it all. The puppet masters themselves. Very scary:

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/15 ... 8596634625

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Oct 2022, 7:52 am

Liz Truss has just resigned.
45 days.
Who's next?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2022, 7:56 am

Uk is a joke she’s only been in the job for a month

There probably should now be an election but I don’t think Labour are much good either.

- George Bernie Shaw