Page 38 of 44 [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 44  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 9:10 am

Cornflake wrote:

You are right. Johnson's supporters enjoy his attitude and lies. Some of them see a rich, posh man and want to be just like him.

Last edited by KitLily on 21 Oct 2022, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 9:12 am

Yep....parallels to Trump.....

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Oct 2022, 9:57 am

^ He's sharper than Trump but beyond that, I think only the education and accent differ.

Also, this:
Tories on their knees – and here comes Boris Johnson. Dear reader, look away

More background for non-UK readers (and UK readers who can't quite believe it):
UK crisis: a beginner’s guide to the political turmoil as Liz Truss quits
- featuring some standout toe-curling comments from the execrable Suella de Vil Braverman.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 11:34 am

Cornflake wrote:
More background for non-UK readers (and UK readers who can't quite believe it):
UK crisis: a beginner’s guide to the political turmoil as Liz Truss quits
- featuring some standout toe-curling comments from the execrable Suella de Vil Braverman.

Thanks for the link.
Disturbing that the U.S. and the UK are cratering at the same time. Israel is in many ways at the height of its powers despite five elections in two years. I can not see how that is sustainable.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 12:41 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
KitLily wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Apparently Boris Johnson is going to enter the leadership election to be Prime Minister again. This election will be completed within a week and voting only includes 0.2% of the British public.

This is madness!

Yes it's bonkers. I don't think they'll actually pick Boris again so soon though, he's probably still too toxic since Partygate etc. I think he was an aberration (among other less complimentary things) - they were struggling to find anybody electable from the moment Cameron quit, and clearly they're struggling now. They're very divided.

Oh I don't know though...Lots of Tory MPs are saying Boris is the clear choice to unite the party and that their constituents want him back. The journalists were incredulous on the C4 news, they were virtually saying WTF :lol:

Oh s**t! It's beginning to look like it was all a plot after all. Still, if he gets in, he's got 2 years to blot his copybook again.

Could only be 2 months if the Privileges Committee find him guilty :lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Oct 2022, 2:08 pm

The other difference between Johnson and Trump is that Trump has a "core vote" of something like 30-35% of the US population who back him unconditionally.

Johnson's popularity is even lower. It's maybe 20% of voters.

Deepthought 7
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 2:32 pm

KitLily wrote:
Deepthought 7 wrote:
Anne Widdecombe (an ex conservative mp) said that, "Boris Johnson's hopes of making a sensational return to No.10 are likely to be scuppered by the ongoing Parliamentary inquiry against him." regarding the investigation into him 'allegedly' misleading parliament about not knowing anything about the partying at Downing Street, when Covid restrictions forbade such gatherings.

I imagine avoiding any further scandals would be particularly high on the conservative agenda with things being as they have this year and more recently, but time will tell.

Anne Widdecombe, however, is as nutty as a fruitcake so I'd take that with a large pinch of salt.

I was referring more to the misleading parliament investigation that could result in Johnson being suspended from parliament, as involves the risk of facing and losing a by-election also ~ which could very much damage the conservative party's already very much damaged reputation.

I used Anne Widdecombe's perspective because she addressed the issue as being currently a relevant concern for the conservative party, and of course to provide some context for those not familiar with the goings on in the UK ~ from the Daily Express as being a pro-conservative newspaper-website, along with one of the party-gate images and it's caption from the Daily Mail as also being a pro-conservative newspaper-website.

And of course with the pinch of salt thing ~ I normally though recommend taking at least a gain-silo of salt with political speculations; or even a mountain range of salt when it comes to tabloid offerings. :D

KitLily wrote:
They don't care about scandals. They just change the law so it isn't a crime anymore.

Or rather they care so much more for their ideological success than they do their pragmatic failings.

If they didn't care about scandals they wouldn't use distracting counter-scandals (referred to as "Dead-catting") such as the false "Beer-gate" allegation to counter for the actual Partygate one ~ so as to minimise Johnson's and the conservative party's then as now diminishing poll-ratings. Then of course came the Chris Pincher Scandal, the government resignations and then Johnson's resignation as prime minister ~ and all that has gone on since then and up until now with Liz Truss having resigned as prime-minister.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 2:43 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
The other difference between Johnson and Trump is that Trump has a "core vote" of something like 30-35% of the US population who back him unconditionally.

Johnson's popularity is even lower. It's maybe 20% of voters.

That gives me hope. His much-trumpeted 2019 mandate is way out of date, though unfortunately the UK doesn't have mid-term elections.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 3:38 pm

There's a rumour that Boris is flying back from the Caribbean to reclaim his crown:

https://news.yahoo.com/boris-johnson-fl ... 42183.html

I bet his arms will be tired.

Deepthought 7
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 10:00 pm

'No one' oversees ballot when party members pick new prime minister, Tories admit

Senior official conceded ‘there’s no independent oversight’ – to news outlet that enrolled Archie, a pet tortoise, to vote in last race.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-leadership-members-truss-resign-b2207666.html

Quote:
The Conservatives admitted that no independent body supervises a ballot of its members, it has emerged – as the party faithful could choose the next prime minister again.

There was a “painfully long pause on the phone” when the question was posed to a senior Tory official after security weaknesses were exposed in the contest that picked Liz Truss, an ex-BBC news chief revealed.

Eventually, the official admitted “no one, there’s no independent oversight,” James Harding, now the director of Tortoise Media said.

The outlet is seeking a judicial review of the Tory election process, after successfully enrolling a pet tortoise named Archie, two foreign nationals and Margaret Thatcher – under her maiden name Margaret Roberts – as members, able to vote.

The controversy has blown up again after Ms Truss’s resignation, with the party set, potentially, to conduct an extraordinary three-day online ballot of its 170,000 members to pick her successor.

“If you want to have confidence in your democracy, you have to have some understanding of how the election works and that someone is supervising it,” Mr Harding told BBC Radio 4.

“And when we talked to a senior conservative official, we said, ‘who does run that oversight’? And there was one of these painfully long pauses on the phone and he said, ‘No one, there’s no independent oversight’.”

Mr Harding warned: “The Conservative Party has now set up another set of rules. By six o’clock on Monday evening, we could find ourselves in a position where we go to another membership leadership contest.

“The membership is doing that online. And how do we know that that’s secure? How do we know what oversight there is? How do we know that members themselves can vote – and can actually access a Conservative party website that is running the election for prime minister?”

Many Tory MPs are desperate to avoid the contest going to their members – fearing a repeat of having another prime minister, like Ms Truss, without enough support at Westminster.

An “indicative ballot” among MPs of the two final candidates, on Monday, will make clear who has most support and pile huge pressure on the ‘loser’ to pull out.

But Boris Johnson, if he is in that position, would be confident of triumphing in the members’ ballot. Party chiefs have not explained how it could be carried out in three or four days.

In August, the Conservatives refused to provide information about how many people could vote in the leadership race, how their identities would be verified, or infiltration attempts prevented.

Darren Mott, the party’s chief executive, claimed the process was “a private matter” because the party “is not a public body and does not carry out public functions”.

But Mr Harding said: “When it’s running the election to choose the prime minister, it’s serving the public function – and, if it’s serving the public function, it should have a certain degree of transparency and accountability.”

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 11:36 pm

Deepthought 7 wrote:
'No one' oversees ballot when party members pick new prime minister, Tories admit

Senior official conceded ‘there’s no independent oversight’ – to news outlet that enrolled Archie, a pet tortoise, to vote in last race.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-leadership-members-truss-resign-b2207666.html

Can we make the tortoise the next Prime Minister? It could eat the lettuce that survived longer than Liz.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 3:29 am

Deepthought 7 wrote:
And of course with the pinch of salt thing ~ I normally though recommend taking at least a gain-silo of salt with political speculations; or even a mountain range of salt when it comes to tabloid offerings. :D

Yes! A large amount of salt needed with those!

Deepthought 7 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
They don't care about scandals. They just change the law so it isn't a crime anymore.

Or rather they care so much more for their ideological success than they do their pragmatic failings.

If they didn't care about scandals they wouldn't use distracting counter-scandals

I meant things like this. Changing the law so ministers don't have to resign or get punished for causing scandals:

Boris Johnson Has Just Changed The Ministerial Code. Why Does This Matter?
"If you break the rules just rewrite the rule book is the motto of this despicable government."

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... a85dbdec1b

Boris Johnson accused of changing ministerial code to ‘save his skin’
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-breaches

I still meet people who adore Boris Johnson and think his return is a good thing. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM? I suppose that picture Cornflake posted explains it :roll:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 3:31 am

Hopefully reading this thread will make people see how the British system of government has corrupted itself. We need a reboot urgently.

I've even had comments from Americans who are shocked at the sheer corruption in the British government! And that's saying something.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 3:40 am

I am awaiting the pictures of Boris alighting from the plane after his latest holiday. I am sure he will be raising his arms in the air, saviour-style.

He is an unprincipled poltroon, a mendacious buffoon… or anything else that ends in oon.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 6:41 am

Trueno wrote:
I am awaiting the pictures of Boris alighting from the plane after his latest holiday. I am sure he will be raising his arms in the air, saviour-style.

He is an unprincipled poltroon, a mendacious buffoon… or anything else that ends in oon.

OMG I am sure you are correct! He will! OMFG.

He is an imperfect soupspoon, a demented cartoon, a tempestuous typhoon, a homicidal raccoon, a duplicitous loon, a contorted balloon...

There is NOTHING I love more than word games!

Last edited by KitLily on 22 Oct 2022, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 6:47 am

Trueno wrote:

Although Trueno, isn't this picture similar? :lol: :lol:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/boris-johnson ... 10990.html