New Age spirituality has become a cesspool of garbage

Page 14 of 18 [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,761
Location: City of Roses

25 Nov 2022, 11:04 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
As much as skeptics love to mock astrology, if it werent for astrology we never would have had the basis for astronomy.


All that aside though i often find eerie things about me whenever I look up my natal chart.


In countries such as India, star constellations determine whom you get married to, building a home or starting a new business.

Unbelievably there is scietific evidence that when a particular star is seen on the horizon it also precedes planting of crops
https://medium.com/harvesting/star-cons ... e1000dfa4e


Yup many Americans here in the deep south still rely on something called the Farmer's Almanac which determines the best time to plant crops by the stars and moon phases etc.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,598

25 Nov 2022, 11:21 pm

There are weird things plants do in relation to the stars
I think the Israelis did experiments



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,539
Location: England

26 Nov 2022, 5:53 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I don't take too much notice of Wikipedia, that's just random people writing what they think.

Of course it's wise to check out anything that anybody writes, but I've not found anything much wrong with the pages I've read. If an assertion in an article hasn't been backed up by citations, it's soon labelled "citation required." Articles with issues quickly get a label saying so. Where else would you find that? It can be very difficult to distinguish truth from propaganda but I think Wikipedia does quite well in making that easier.


Thanks for your information about Wikipedia :D


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,761
Location: City of Roses

26 Nov 2022, 10:18 am

Now aside from the idea of working with Lilith being cultural appropriation (I personally don't believe it is because as I said she has been transcending cultures since before Judaism and most likely originated as the Sumerian Demon Goddess Lamashtu)

I have heard some good arguments about why working with the Mother of all Demons is not a smart idea. She is an enemy to humanity and there is no benefit to working with her in any form because she is self-destructive to the individual and to society.

I've heard some people tell me it's not wise to even acknowledge her.

Here was an interesting blog i once read about why Lilith worship is a bad idea.

https://misanthropicvampire.com/2021/05 ... d-origins/


Maybe I should find a different dark goddess to work with? :skull:



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,799
Location: temperate zone

26 Nov 2022, 6:59 pm

There is always Kali.


https://youtu.be/dh_wngUJFys



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,598

26 Nov 2022, 7:10 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Now aside from the idea of working with Lilith being cultural appropriation (I personally don't believe it is because as I said she has been transcending cultures since before Judaism and most likely originated as the Sumerian Demon Goddess Lamashtu)

I have heard some good arguments about why working with the Mother of all Demons is not a smart idea. She is an enemy to humanity and there is no benefit to working with her in any form because she is self-destructive to the individual and to so


The female demon goddess in the near east also has a common origin with the indigenous dravidian female deity Kali-Durga. During British occupation adherents in northern India belonging to the Kali sect began murdering travellers in her name. They were called Thugees where the English word "thug" originates.

The origin of Kali though is the agamas or south Indian village deities that predate hinduism. She manifests in many forms including the demonic which form she protects the village and protects young women during childbirth. She is known as Amman or the mother goddess. South Indian folk gods have many female deities.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,598

26 Nov 2022, 7:11 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
There is always Kali.


https://youtu.be/dh_wngUJFys


Oh! you beat me to it :lol:

Not intending to be regional or parochial but the purely demonic form of Kali-Durga is a north Indian/Aryan version of the mother goddess. Hinduism is basically a fusion of Indo-European deities (Gods of fire, war and rain) and indigenous dravidian deities. The pan-Hindu gods Brahma/Vishnu/Shiva are an amalgam of many deities/forms. Indeed Lord Shiva is known to be female sometimes.

The purely Aryan/Vedic gods that resemble Zeus/Odin/Thor become largely dead once Indo-European settlers assimilated into Indian society. All thats left is certain brahmanic ritual and of course the Sanskrit language.



DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,761
Location: City of Roses

26 Nov 2022, 7:38 pm

Kali sounds very interesting I admit but I'm honestly not sure if Hinduism is right for me?

I was once told that we don't really choose our deities but our deities choose us. Since I started trying to practice witchcraft I have felt drawn to many deities like Lilith, Hades, Hestia, and even Columbia the 'American Goddess'.

Ive also felt drawn to Inanna lately because of my fascination with the Burney Relief.

But I still have a hard time deciding which one is the most beneficial for me to work with...

Perhaps Lilith is the worst choice and really not worth it?

Hmm...



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,598

26 Nov 2022, 7:44 pm

I think you should investigate many of the pre-Christian beliefs in northern Europe. There are many earth deities and the mother goddess was once sacred in Europe before the coming of the war/sky gods.



DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,761
Location: City of Roses

26 Nov 2022, 8:02 pm

If I'm looking for a 'dark' Mother Goddess with monsterous traits there's also Echidna who was dubbed the "Mother of all Monsters" in Greek Mythology. She and her husband the fearsome giant Typhon almost succeeded in overthrowing the Gods themselves which goes to show how powerful they were.

And unlike Lilith who sounds like an embodiment of pure hate, Echidna actually seemed to feel love for her mate Typhon according to what few ancient texts survive about her and possibly loved the many monsterous offspring that she bred too. She bred creatures like the Cerberus, the Sphinx, the Hydra, plus more beasts who served to test the many heroes in Greek Mythology.

She seems interesting. :)

https://www.theoi.com/Ther/DrakainaEkhidna1.html

https://youtu.be/uTL5zma1Q_8



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,598

26 Nov 2022, 9:45 pm

By curious coincidence we are living in the cycle of Kali-Yuga
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_Yuga



DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,761
Location: City of Roses

26 Nov 2022, 10:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
By curious coincidence we are living in the cycle of Kali-Yuga
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_Yuga


Interesting. I wonder if it is in any way connected to the bad things I heard about us entering the Age of Aquarius in astrology (I think that is what they call this?) Or Pluto currently being in retrograde?

There have been other strange things happening around the world that seem like very bad omens. Like the cursed boulder that held the spirit of Tamamo-no-Mae one of the most evil yokai in Japanese folklore which was found split in half several months ago.

She was blamed for basically influencing powerful kings and emperors while disguised as a concubine to these men and would not only drive them insane but make them sick with a mysterious illness thay could not be cured.

Even after she was discovered and hunted down and slain in the form of 9 tailed fox her evil could not be undone. The emperor soon died from his illness which lead to a brutal and violent civil war over his death.

https://yokai.com/tamamonomae/

https://history.howstuffworks.com/histo ... -stone.htm

Makes me wonder if she's now set her sights on Vladmir Putin? :wink:



techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,326
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

26 Nov 2022, 10:10 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
If I'm looking for a 'dark' Mother Goddess with monsterous traits there's also Echidna who was dubbed the "Mother of all Monsters" in Greek Mythology. She and her husband the fearsome giant Typhon almost succeeded in overthrowing the Gods themselves which goes to show how powerful they were.

And unlike Lilith who sounds like an embodiment of pure hate, Echidna actually seemed to feel love for her mate Typhon according to what few ancient texts survive about her and possibly loved the many monsterous offspring that she bred too. She bred creatures like the Cerberus, the Sphinx, the Hydra, plus more beasts who served to test the many heroes in Greek Mythology.

She seems interesting. :)


If you're looking for a great 'Sears catalog of western esoteric history' the best place to go is Manly P Hall's 'The Secret Teachings of All Ages' and a great follow up is his 'Lectures on Ancient Philosophy'. If you want a more academic treatment of the same content though Mercia Eliade's supposed to be the guy for that as well.


_________________
“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin


DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,761
Location: City of Roses

26 Nov 2022, 10:29 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
If I'm looking for a 'dark' Mother Goddess with monsterous traits there's also Echidna who was dubbed the "Mother of all Monsters" in Greek Mythology. She and her husband the fearsome giant Typhon almost succeeded in overthrowing the Gods themselves which goes to show how powerful they were.

And unlike Lilith who sounds like an embodiment of pure hate, Echidna actually seemed to feel love for her mate Typhon according to what few ancient texts survive about her and possibly loved the many monsterous offspring that she bred too. She bred creatures like the Cerberus, the Sphinx, the Hydra, plus more beasts who served to test the many heroes in Greek Mythology.

She seems interesting. :)


If you're looking for a great 'Sears catalog of western esoteric history' the best place to go is Manly P Hall's 'The Secret Teachings of All Ages' and a great follow up is his 'Lectures on Ancient Philosophy'. If you want a more academic treatment of the same content though Mercia Eliade's supposed to be the guy for that as well.


Thanks. Will keep that in mind. :)



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,598

27 Nov 2022, 12:14 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
If you're looking for a great 'Sears catalog of western esoteric history'


:lol:



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,598

27 Nov 2022, 12:16 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
She was blamed for basically influencing powerful kings and emperors while disguised as a concubine to these men :


Again curious concidence but in the Saga of Beauwulf, Grendel's mother took the form of a beautiful nymph who seduced the kings of Denmark