Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 7:11 pm

Cyanide wrote:
It mentions "the wrath of God" and wrath is one of the seven deadly sins. So if God is wrathful, he is a deadly sinner.

Are the "seven deadly sins" necessarily a biblically based interpretation of sin? Do they necessarily apply to God? God's wrath is generally believed by Christians to be an anger at injustice and evil, something that many believe Christians should have. In fact, I know of one preacher who praught that Christians should learn to "hate well", and he was not referring to condemnation of homosexuals but rather a rejection of worldly evil. Finally, the argument you make is probably not the best developed in regards to scripture as God's wrath is throughout all of scripture, there are even harder arguments against the Christian faith based upon scripture, but even those are often dealt with through theodicy and appeals to God's unknowable nature.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 2:35 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Cyanide wrote:
It mentions "the wrath of God" and wrath is one of the seven deadly sins. So if God is wrathful, he is a deadly sinner.

Are the "seven deadly sins" necessarily a biblically based interpretation of sin? Do they necessarily apply to God? God's wrath is generally believed by Christians to be an anger at injustice and evil, something that many believe Christians should have. In fact, I know of one preacher who praught that Christians should learn to "hate well", and he was not referring to condemnation of homosexuals but rather a rejection of worldly evil. Finally, the argument you make is probably not the best developed in regards to scripture as God's wrath is throughout all of scripture, there are even harder arguments against the Christian faith based upon scripture, but even those are often dealt with through theodicy and appeals to God's unknowable nature.

Not sure if they're listed as deadly sins in the bible, but i'm pretty sure they still are sins. Besides, if God is supposed to be "all good" how could he be wrathful? That makes no sense to me.

Gamer1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Dec 2007, 7:45 am

We are just watersacks that were randomly evolved after life formed on earth. there is no god, no heaven, no hell. we make decisions based on chemicals moving. we control the chemicals. we are just hunks of carbon that can think and have emotions!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 8:05 am

Cyanide wrote:
Not sure if they're listed as deadly sins in the bible, but i'm pretty sure they still are sins. Besides, if God is supposed to be "all good" how could he be wrathful? That makes no sense to me.

Well, it may say that believers aren't supposed to be wrathful, but I think that is only because vengeance is the Lord's(something stated in the Bible) rather than anything else and there are certainly no commands for God to follow. What makes you think that a good being wouldn't get angry? What makes you think that you could determine what a truly good being would do if you aren't fully and purely good and may not fully understand what the latter means?