Jesus.......(IS THE LORD)! !! !! !! !! !! !!:)

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 2:07 pm

Shadowgirl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yeshua 'Nzareth was a Jew. You know Him as Jesus, the Christ.

I just learned that in the book Manga Messiah.

I learned it in a Christian seminary. Try telling it to some fundies, but be prepared to run.

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 2:30 pm

Jesus probably never existed. But if I'm wrong, he was more than likely arab-looking seeing how he was supposedly from the mideast.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 2:41 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
Jesus probably never existed. But if I'm wrong, he was more than likely arab-looking seeing how he was supposedly from the mideast.

Whether or not Jesus existed, He certainly would not have looked like some blond, blue-eyed, and emaciated corpse as depicted in every Roman Catholic church.

No, keeping in mind that He was of Palestinian/Jewish descent (at least, on His mother's side), that He was raised by a Carpenter (Joseph) and likely took part in the family craft, that He walked nearly everywhere He went, and that people of that era were generally shorter and thinner than people are now, it is safe to assume certain general aspects of His appearance ...

"APB: Wanted for questioning ... middle-eastern male adult, five-six, one-fifty, brown and brown, bearded, muscular build, wearing robes and sandals, and answering to the name of Jesus ... may be in the company of twelve companions similarly attired, one of which may be armed with a knife or sword ... procede with caution ..."

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 2:59 pm

Fnord wrote:

Whether or not Jesus existed, He certainly would not have looked like some blond, blue-eyed, and emaciated corpse as depicted in every Roman Catholic church.

No, keeping in mind that He was of Palestinian/Jewish descent (at least, on His mother's side), that He was raised by a Carpenter (Joseph) and likely took part in the family craft, that He walked nearly everywhere He went, and that people of that era were generally shorter and thinner than people are now, it is safe to assume certain general aspects of His appearance ...

"APB: Wanted for questioning ... middle-eastern male adult, five-six, one-fifty, brown and brown, bearded, muscular build, wearing robes and sandals, and answering to the name of Jesus ... may be in the company of twelve companions similarly attired, one of which may be armed with a knife or sword ... procede with caution ..."

He was probably much shorter than 5'6. He supposedly existed over 2,000 years ago so he was probably 5'6 at the very tallest. I'm barely 5'5 and napoleon was shorter.

zerooftheday
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2009, 11:18 am

That comic was epic, loved it.

If Jesus was that tiny (I'm 6'6") how short was everybody else? The Bible says he "grew in wisdom, and stature, and favor with God and men."

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 5:31 pm

Shadowgirl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yeshua 'Nzareth was a Jew. You know Him as Jesus, the Christ.

I just learned that in the book Manga Messiah.

Ugh, Manga Messiah? The artwork is hideous and the portrayals of Jews...*shudders*

If you want a comic about the Bible, read Testament.

Lazybones337
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2009, 10:40 am

GUYS,i never meant meant to offend anyone or mock anybody's religion. Peace!! !! !! !! !

monty
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 10:49 am

twoshots wrote:
Jesus almost certainly looked a lot like Palestinians do today.

Yes, that would be a good starting point for the physical anthropology. But I think that even the Palestinians have been somewhat Europeanized in the last 2000 years ... the average Jew is much more Europeanized than Jews were in the time of Jesus.

JoJerome
Toucan
Toucan

16 May 2009, 2:29 pm

Seeing as there is not one scrap of empirical evidence that any of these people existed, and mountains of empirical evidence to suggest they are made-up people, it is natural for us to find ways to think they were of a race we prefer to see. Usually our own.

That said, assuming for the moment that Jesus was real. Where do you get that Mary was white? A photograph or portrait painted in her lifetime would be helpful.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2009, 4:06 am

Was not Jesus a torah observant Jew?

The historian Josephus also mentions Jesus being a Jew that kept the Law and the Prophets...

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 4:36 am

He was probably much shorter than 5'6. He supposedly existed over 2,000 years ago so he was probably 5'6 at the very tallest. I'm barely 5'5 and napoleon was shorter.

You are correlating average height with antiquity or perhaps primitiveness. This is incorrect. Height correlates more closely to sanitation. Thats why medieval people were so short. Humans were taller prior and after that time. That is, exposure to fecal waste results in a smaller average height. Like dark ages Europe.

Secondly, Napoleon was said to be short (5 foot 2) because the French inch was different from the English. In English inches he was 5'6" to 5'7". That was average height at the time. He also had very tall guards, making him seem shorter.

The Sudanese in africa have primitive conditions, but males have an average height over 6 feet.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 1:39 pm

"The Sudanese in africa have primitive conditions, but males have an average height over 6 feet."

There's a law in biology about that though, the hotter it gets, the taller and slender your limbs are (to evacuate excess heat more efficiently). If you need any opposite truth, just consider Inuks, they are smaller and more "round" to prevent loss of heat in arctic climates.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2009, 2:03 pm

Being from the Middle East, Jesus would've looked a lot like the 9/11 hijackers, who were from the same general area. This is why I laugh so hard every time I hear a Christian say "Jesus will protect us from the Towelheads" when in fact Jesus himself was a towelhead.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 2:10 pm

Towelheads or "turbans" might not even have existed at the time <.< for all we know.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 5:21 pm

phil777 wrote:
"The Sudanese in africa have primitive conditions, but males have an average height over 6 feet."

There's a law in biology about that though, the hotter it gets, the taller and slender your limbs are (to evacuate excess heat more efficiently). If you need any opposite truth, just consider Inuks, they are smaller and more "round" to prevent loss of heat in arctic climates.

Agreed. And the middle easterners of the time would have been closer in climate to Africa than to Inuvik. Your statement reinforces my point.

Godzilla
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2009, 6:49 pm

I'm not gonna lie, I really don't care from what race or background Jesus came from.

I'm not religious, but I do believe in a god and Jesus. You may say I believe in fairytales, but I believe that this world cannot function on it's own. I believe that there isa divine deity among us. He judges us, and whenever we pray to him, he listens to us. He gives us rewards when we try to do good, he punishes us when we have sinned, and he helps us if we do not lose faith, no matter how dark the situation seems.

I don't know about any of you, but I have prayed to this great being people call, "a myth", and my prayers have, in fact, been answered. I believe if you wrong or hurt somebody, it WILL come back to haunt you, one way or another. Even if you killed or hurt somebody 50 years ago, it will come back to haunt you.

It's funny. I feel a little sorry for athiests. They think, "Nobody + Nothing = Everything". Athiests are free to believe in anything they want, but I don't care, as long as they're not bothering me.

I'm not here to mention debates about religion, I'm only saying what I believe in. Please don't quote me responding this, because, to be honest, I'm not one to argue (anymore).