Students Fly Confed Flag, Black Students Punished For Protes

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Aug 2021
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,235
Location: USA

19 Oct 2021, 11:02 pm

The Confederacy started
When racist rednecks farted.
The mentally retarded
The Confederacy!

They belong in a museum
But no one should come to see em
They really are a scream
The Confederacy!



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,009
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

19 Oct 2021, 11:28 pm

If the students flying the Confederate flag were in fact shouting racial slurs, then the school administrators have a lot to explain why they had singled out the black kids who displayed their umbrage.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 105,770
Location: the island of defective toy santas

20 Oct 2021, 12:19 am

it can only mean that the school administration took the side of the racists. there is nothing more devastating than that, here.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,009
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

20 Oct 2021, 12:59 am

auntblabby wrote:
it can only mean that the school administration took the side of the racists. there is nothing more devastating than that, here.


So far, it appears to be the case.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 105,770
Location: the island of defective toy santas

20 Oct 2021, 1:33 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
it can only mean that the school administration took the side of the racists. there is nothing more devastating than that, here.


So far, it appears to be the case.

yet there will, as surely as god made little green apples, apologists here who will bring up some insipid legalism in defense of that racist-enabling school administration. or they will just tell us we're imagining it, IOW they'll pee on our legs and then tell us it's only the rain.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,009
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

20 Oct 2021, 1:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
it can only mean that the school administration took the side of the racists. there is nothing more devastating than that, here.


So far, it appears to be the case.

yet there will, as surely as god made little green apples, apologists here who will bring up some insipid legalism in defense of that racist-enabling school administration. or they will just tell us we're imagining it, IOW they'll pee on our legs and then tell us it's only the rain.


Already started.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 105,770
Location: the island of defective toy santas

20 Oct 2021, 1:47 am

they are not worth one iota of our attention. remember that. we can ignore them, turn our backs on them and, while they won't go away like the rampaging ad mascots in that simpsons halloween episode, ignoring them will help save our sanity, just let those nattering nabobs of nasty prattle on.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,722

20 Oct 2021, 3:32 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
If the students flying the Confederate flag were in fact shouting racial slurs, then the school administrators have a lot to explain why they had singled out the black kids who displayed their umbrage.


I should imagine the school is hoping the public forget about it and move on like Covington Catholic school.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,277
Location: Seattle-ish

20 Oct 2021, 3:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
they are not worth one iota of our attention. remember that. we can ignore them, turn our backs on them and, while they won't go away like the rampaging ad mascots in that simpsons halloween episode, ignoring them will help save our sanity, just let those nattering nabobs of nasty prattle on.


I believe the original quote was "nattering nabobs of negativity", but nonetheless surprised to hear you of all people quoting Agnew, Nixon's attack dog.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,277
Location: Seattle-ish

20 Oct 2021, 3:49 am

cyberdad wrote:
1. Isn't protest a civil right for all Americans?
2. Why select the black students for suspension?


Public schools are allowed to abridge many rights to some extent or another; I myself was suspended for participating in a protest against my schools dress code in 7th grade as the school deemed it disrupting to the educational environment. Since we don't all that much information, we'll have to wait and see, the school might be acting inappropriately, or there might be circumstances we're not aware of yet, it never pays to go off half cocked.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,363
Location: Tulsa, OK

21 Oct 2021, 8:40 am

Red Raid wrote:
Dang, people still support the confederate flag? That's rough.

The sole reason of the Confederacy was the enslavement of black people. One of their VP's even made a speech about it. I don't think everyone who flies it has bad intentions. Some people use it just to express southern pride. But the flag was originally used as a symbol for a racist movement. The flag may not be racist itself but it's connection to slavery and other forms of racism throughout history is more than enough to disqualify it from respectability.

One of the more common defense's of the flag is that you can change what a flag stands for. I don't think that's very good reasoning as that is very narrow-minded. Going by that logic, can't you apply that to other flags, such as the Nazi flag for example?

It wasn't a symbol of racism to the southerners, it was the battle flag of the confederacy. Slavery was one aspect of the reason the south seceded but it was mostly economic.



Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,363
Location: Tulsa, OK

21 Oct 2021, 8:41 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Is there a link to the story?
Smells kinda like an invented controversy.


Isn't that what you say about every single well-documented racist incident posted on here? :scratch:

https://www.insider.com/black-students- ... rt-2021-10
https://www.blackenterprise.com/black-h ... est=prebid
https://thehill.com/changing-america/re ... -at-school
https://www.essence.com/news/coosa-high ... rotesters/

What was the racist incident? Displaying the Confederate flag or suspending the black protesters?



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 14,814
Location: I'm right here

21 Oct 2021, 10:43 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Red Raid wrote:
Dang, people still support the confederate flag? That's rough.

The sole reason of the Confederacy was the enslavement of black people. One of their VP's even made a speech about it. I don't think everyone who flies it has bad intentions. Some people use it just to express southern pride. But the flag was originally used as a symbol for a racist movement. The flag may not be racist itself but it's connection to slavery and other forms of racism throughout history is more than enough to disqualify it from respectability.

One of the more common defense's of the flag is that you can change what a flag stands for. I don't think that's very good reasoning as that is very narrow-minded. Going by that logic, can't you apply that to other flags, such as the Nazi flag for example?

It wasn't a symbol of racism to the southerners, it was the battle flag of the confederacy. Slavery was one aspect of the reason the south seceded but it was mostly economic.


Mostly economic is a quaint euphemism when their economy was based mostly on slavery.

Mr Reynholm wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Is there a link to the story?
Smells kinda like an invented controversy.


Isn't that what you say about every single well-documented racist incident posted on here? :scratch:

https://www.insider.com/black-students- ... rt-2021-10
https://www.blackenterprise.com/black-h ... est=prebid
https://thehill.com/changing-america/re ... -at-school
https://www.essence.com/news/coosa-high ... rotesters/

What was the racist incident? Displaying the Confederate flag or suspending the black protesters?


That sounds like two related incidents.


_________________
Be reasonable, demand the impossible.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


demeus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 675

21 Oct 2021, 11:17 am

Quote:
What was the racist incident? Displaying the Confederate flag or suspending the black protesters?


The issue is consistent treatment from the authorities. The white students are treated differently from the African American or Latino students and are not allowed the same rights. That is what makes the incident racist. Unequal treatment under law.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,009
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

21 Oct 2021, 3:16 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Red Raid wrote:
Dang, people still support the confederate flag? That's rough.

The sole reason of the Confederacy was the enslavement of black people. One of their VP's even made a speech about it. I don't think everyone who flies it has bad intentions. Some people use it just to express southern pride. But the flag was originally used as a symbol for a racist movement. The flag may not be racist itself but it's connection to slavery and other forms of racism throughout history is more than enough to disqualify it from respectability.

One of the more common defense's of the flag is that you can change what a flag stands for. I don't think that's very good reasoning as that is very narrow-minded. Going by that logic, can't you apply that to other flags, such as the Nazi flag for example?

It wasn't a symbol of racism to the southerners, it was the battle flag of the confederacy. Slavery was one aspect of the reason the south seceded but it was mostly economic.


As a matter of fact, the whole Confederate flag mania in the south for the most part was fired up in reaction against civil rights for black Americans, and in support of white supremacy.
All economic reasons for the Civil War lead back to slavery. Slavery ultimately was the sole reason. The plantation owning class had the most to gain for the war, while poor white southerners were kept docile in their place on the class ladder by knowing at least they were regarded better than slaves. That continued on after the war, when blacks were made second class citizens, keeping poor whites happy in their poverty with the knowledge that they were a step above blacks.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Aug 2021
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,235
Location: USA

21 Oct 2021, 3:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Red Raid wrote:
Dang, people still support the confederate flag? That's rough.

The sole reason of the Confederacy was the enslavement of black people. One of their VP's even made a speech about it. I don't think everyone who flies it has bad intentions. Some people use it just to express southern pride. But the flag was originally used as a symbol for a racist movement. The flag may not be racist itself but it's connection to slavery and other forms of racism throughout history is more than enough to disqualify it from respectability.

One of the more common defense's of the flag is that you can change what a flag stands for. I don't think that's very good reasoning as that is very narrow-minded. Going by that logic, can't you apply that to other flags, such as the Nazi flag for example?

It wasn't a symbol of racism to the southerners, it was the battle flag of the confederacy. Slavery was one aspect of the reason the south seceded but it was mostly economic.


As a matter of fact, the whole Confederate flag mania in the south for the most part was fired up in reaction against civil rights for black Americans, and in support of white supremacy.
All economic reasons for the Civil War lead back to slavery. Slavery ultimately was the sole reason. The plantation owning class had the most to gain for the war, while poor white southerners were kept docile in their place on the class ladder by knowing at least they were regarded better than slaves. That continued on after the war, when blacks were made second class citizens, keeping poor whites happy in their poverty with the knowledge that they were a step above blacks.


Look what the war got them. A South rich in nothing but widows, ruins, and amputees.