Page 3 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,873

03 Oct 2022, 7:12 am

Misslizard wrote:
Do not shake hands with her.


Incase they fall off? Who is Lizz Truss anyway?



DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,112
Location: Dorset

03 Oct 2022, 7:21 am

Biscuitman wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Liz is like a dominatrix name. She might have been better served if she were an Elizabeth.


She is actually a Mary, just to confuse things further!


What is this weird thing with Tories not using their given names? Boris was actually Alexander, George Osborne was Gideon, Iain Duncan Smith is George, Zac Goldsmith is Frank.

I'll throw in a Labour one for balance - Gordon Brown was James.

I've heard it said that "Boris" was a character created by Alexander Boris De Pfeffel Johnson, perhaps they're all actors?


_________________
Sorry, I do tend to go on a bit. I'm trying to rein it in. It's not easy.


Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,873

03 Oct 2022, 7:25 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Liz is like a dominatrix name. She might have been better served if she were an Elizabeth.


She is actually a Mary, just to confuse things further!


What is this weird thing with Tories not using their given names? Boris was actually Alexander, George Osborne was Gideon, Iain Duncan Smith is George, Zac Goldsmith is Frank.

I'll throw in a Labour one for balance - Gordon Brown was James.

I've heard it said that "Boris" was a character created by Alexander Boris De Pfeffel Johnson, perhaps they're all actors?


Uhmm. That explains something to me. That politics is not politics. It is more of a TV thing that the actors play their parts rather like the Truman show where most of them don't realize who is pulling the strings?

Wonder why strings are pulled? Why strings?



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,194
Location: England

03 Oct 2022, 8:17 am

DuckHairback wrote:
What is this weird thing with Tories not using their given names? Boris was actually Alexander, George Osborne was Gideon, Iain Duncan Smith is George, Zac Goldsmith is Frank.

I'll throw in a Labour one for balance - Gordon Brown was James.


Probably something to do with fraud so they can't get charged with anything :lol:


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,577
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

03 Oct 2022, 9:06 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Liz is like a dominatrix name. She might have been better served if she were an Elizabeth.


She is actually a Mary, just to confuse things further!


What is this weird thing with Tories not using their given names? Boris was actually Alexander, George Osborne was Gideon, Iain Duncan Smith is George, Zac Goldsmith is Frank


Iain Duncan Smith is a really weird one. Firstly his name is George but he uses one of his middle names but spells it wrongly, changing Ian to Iain (to sound more Scottish), and then he uses his other middle name as if he has a double barreled surname to make himself sound posh.

His actual name is George Smith



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,577
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

03 Oct 2022, 9:08 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
45p cut abandoned on day 1 of the conference.

KK claiming 'we have listened to the public on this one' rather than admitting their own MP's were already working with the opposition to defeat them in the HoC

what an absolute shambles


I agree, it had nothing to do with public opinion.

Interesting to see Michael Gove flexing his muscles though. I thought he was finished but it appears he still has significant clout within the party and isn't worried about using it


Gove only ever does anything for personal gain. I spotted him speaking up against Truss yesterday too, set my Tory infighting radar off!



Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,577
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

03 Oct 2022, 9:10 am

Tories announce they will implement £18 billion of cuts to public services.

David Davis also coming out publicly for insurance based healthcare rather than an NHS. Only took them 6 years of pretending Brexit would improve the NHS until they ran it down to such a position they felt confident enough to publicly state they want insurance based healthcare for the country instead



DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,112
Location: Dorset

03 Oct 2022, 12:32 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
45p cut abandoned on day 1 of the conference.

KK claiming 'we have listened to the public on this one' rather than admitting their own MP's were already working with the opposition to defeat them in the HoC

what an absolute shambles


I agree, it had nothing to do with public opinion.

Interesting to see Michael Gove flexing his muscles though. I thought he was finished but it appears he still has significant clout within the party and isn't worried about using it


Gove only ever does anything for personal gain. I spotted him speaking up against Truss yesterday too, set my Tory infighting radar off!


Doubtless he's an absolute weasel, I just thought he'd had his day and would disappear quietly now. Seems like he's in a mood to cause trouble. Which ought to be entertaining at least.


_________________
Sorry, I do tend to go on a bit. I'm trying to rein it in. It's not easy.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,194
Location: England

03 Oct 2022, 1:11 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Tories announce they will implement £18 billion of cuts to public services.

David Davis also coming out publicly for insurance based healthcare rather than an NHS. Only took them 6 years of pretending Brexit would improve the NHS until they ran it down to such a position they felt confident enough to publicly state they want insurance based healthcare for the country instead


This is what drives me mad. The government is ruining the NHS. People are blaming the NHS. Then government will then produce a shiny new health service, saying 'you can pay an affordable amount each month to get treated.' But when you read the small print it will say that pre-existing conditions and a million other things with increase the amount you have to pay.

And then the government's aim has been achieved :shrug:


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,112
Location: Dorset

03 Oct 2022, 2:21 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Tories announce they will implement £18 billion of cuts to public services.

David Davis also coming out publicly for insurance based healthcare rather than an NHS. Only took them 6 years of pretending Brexit would improve the NHS until they ran it down to such a position they felt confident enough to publicly state they want insurance based healthcare for the country instead


I haven't seen this announcement anywhere, nor can I find any reference to it on UK news sites. Can you tell us where this is coming from?

David Davis isn't in the cabinet so can't cause too much trouble.


_________________
Sorry, I do tend to go on a bit. I'm trying to rein it in. It's not easy.


DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,112
Location: Dorset

03 Oct 2022, 2:26 pm

Oh I see, it isn't a cut. They're not planning to top up budgets to match inflation which is estimated to be about £18bn. Its a cut in real terms but not actually taking money away. That's why it isn't a national news story.


_________________
Sorry, I do tend to go on a bit. I'm trying to rein it in. It's not easy.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,194
Location: England

04 Oct 2022, 2:04 am

Anyway, we've already got an insurance based healthcare system!

It's called National Insurance. Where everyone pays an amount which then funds healthcare for everyone.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,112
Location: Dorset

04 Oct 2022, 4:00 am

Honestly, due to the underfunding that the NHS has been subject to for so long now, the service isn't great. It's probably a fair argument to say that people would get better care under a private insurance system. We could do it, as long as there was provision made for those who can't afford it.

The problem, as ever, is that if you're going to have private companies involved in public services, they need to be regulated to the nth degree. And Tories consistently legislate to remove regulation to promote profits. And they're not great at looking after people who can't work either. And historically the UK tends to have Conservative governments.

So for me the problem isn't that private healthcare is bad, it could well be better, we just can't trust our governments enough to abandon socialised healthcare.


_________________
Sorry, I do tend to go on a bit. I'm trying to rein it in. It's not easy.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,194
Location: England

04 Oct 2022, 8:01 am

All the government needs to do is fund and organise the NHS better, and it would work as well as it used to. It's simple, but they won't do it. They are the government. They can make things work.

My problem with private healthcare is that only rich people will be able to afford it, and the rest will get left behind to suffer easily rectified conditions and diseases because they can't pay. Healthcare is a human right, not a commodity to be bought according to how rich you are.

The trickle down economy has been shown not to work- rich people hoard money, they don't invest it to trickle down to the poor. This is what will happen with private healthcare- the rich people will hoard the best doctors, hospitals etc. leaving the worse ones for the poor people.

Unless as you say, private health companies are regulated, which ain't gonna happen. And anyway, if they are regulated so strongly, it'll be the same as the NHS.

What a palaver!


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,112
Location: Dorset

04 Oct 2022, 8:43 am

KitLily wrote:
This is what will happen with private healthcare- the rich people will hoard the best doctors, hospitals etc. leaving the worse ones for the poor people.


That also perfectly describes the current system we have. Private hospitals are eye opening.

I'm not arguing with you. I owe the NHS my life and think it's probably the best option for a country like Britain but only because of the people typically elect.


_________________
Sorry, I do tend to go on a bit. I'm trying to rein it in. It's not easy.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,194
Location: England

05 Oct 2022, 8:02 am

DuckHairback wrote:
KitLily wrote:
This is what will happen with private healthcare- the rich people will hoard the best doctors, hospitals etc. leaving the worse ones for the poor people.


That also perfectly describes the current system we have. Private hospitals are eye opening.

I'm not arguing with you. I owe the NHS my life and think it's probably the best option for a country like Britain but only because of the people typically elect.


That isn't how it's meant to be though. Everyone was supposed to use the NHS and it would be fair for all. Private hospitals sprung up and now they are increasing. The two or more tier health system wasn't how it started.

But people are greedy and selfish now due to neoliberalism which sets everyone against each other as competition. Read about neoliberalism, it will make you go 'aha! So that's what's happening.'

:)


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.