Father sticks up for his disabled daughter arrested

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 3:16 pm

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39232388/

Alright for him sticking up to those bullies and making them afraid. Now they might never pick on her again.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 3:24 pm

Oy. That was a completely wrong thing to do. Notice how the little s**t of a bully and his parents are playing a victim card? That's what happens!

Proper thing to do is document bullying, preferably on video shot in a public place, and march right to a higher authority (principal?) and demand action. They would normally not want to get involved, but with such rock-solid evidence like a video they would have to act to avoid liability and to avoid the appearance of ineffectiveness. No one wants to be proven ineffective. No one.

Or take the video to the media. They love that kind of stuff.

If that failed, then you intercept the little s**t in a dark alley where there are no witnesses and slap them around a little bit. Just enough for them to see what it's like to be on the receiving end.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 4:09 pm

Dilbert wrote:
. . . Proper thing to do is document bullying, preferably on video shot in a public place, and march right to a higher authority (principal?) and demand action. They would normally not want to get involved, but with such rock-solid evidence like a video they would have to act to avoid liability and to avoid the appearance of ineffectiveness. No one wants to be proven ineffective. No one. . .

That's the artful thing to do. Now, it might not work in any kind of automatic, guranteed fashion. You still need to take it step by step.

The principal might turn out to be kind of an alright individual. He or she might turn out to be a passive bureaucrat. You need to be prepared for either one.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 4:20 pm

It seems he doesn't understand how to deal with schools I hope they just give him a slap on the wrist and refer him to something that can teach him how to deal with the bureaucratic hell hole that is the school system.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 4:50 pm

Unfortunately, the paperwork/reporting route does not usually work from what I've seen.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

17 Sep 2010, 5:01 pm

Hey I think he did what he could...the schools do nothing about this but slap them on the wrist unless the kids belong to someone who has influence or money...then they listen.

I think he could have controled himself better, but all in all I doubt they will pick on her again

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 5:36 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Oy. That was a completely wrong thing to do. Notice how the little sh** of a bully and his parents are playing a victim card? That's what happens!

Proper thing to do is document bullying, preferably on video shot in a public place, and march right to a higher authority (principal?) and demand action. They would normally not want to get involved, but with such rock-solid evidence like a video they would have to act to avoid liability and to avoid the appearance of ineffectiveness. No one wants to be proven ineffective. No one.

Or take the video to the media. They love that kind of stuff.

If that failed, then you intercept the little sh** in a dark alley where there are no witnesses and slap them around a little bit. Just enough for them to see what it's like to be on the receiving end.

I agree. I especially like the dark alley part.

jaspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Sep 2010, 5:52 pm

This is just a demonstration of a parent's right to defend and protect their own child.I am certain that anyone will attempt to do this to assure that their child goes to and from school safely.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 6:14 pm

jaspie wrote:
This is just a demonstration of a parent's right to defend and protect their own child.I am certain that anyone will attempt to do this to assure that their child goes to and from school safely.

If I were sitting on a jury, I would acquit this man of all charges regardless of the judge's instructions. (See http://www.fija.org) The Seminole County sheriffs department stated that the dad should have called them instead. If he did, all that would have been done is that the father would have been told that there was nothing that could be done without evidence.

kayef
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Sep 2010, 7:33 pm

A grown man got on a school bus full of children and threatened to f&%ing kill them. WTF! That is all shades of wrong. I have no problem with him sticking up for his daughter, but as an adult and supposedly mature individual he should know how to express himself in a way that does not involve death threats to children that look like they are not more than 12 years old. If someone got on a bus like that and made threats and my child was on that bus, I would be demand a psych eval, background check and review if he has any gun permits. People seem tighty wound, unpredictable, and irrational these days. That man should go to jail if only to set an example.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 7:35 pm

No one should ever go to jail just to set an example.(if he were going to be sent to jail it should be for his actions not for what others might do.)

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 7:43 pm

My nephew was bullied really badly at primary school and the school did nothing. Eventually my brother decided to do something himself. He went round to the other kids house and told the kids father that from this point on anything that was done to my nephew by his son would be returned in kind by my brother to this kids dad. And he meant it. It did the trick.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 7:57 pm

The system favors the bully by a wide margin. The best way to deal with a bully is to do it outside of the system. Evidence should be documented and the bullying reported if possible, but this is not to stop the bully but rather to cover one's a** when one has to deal with the situation. A strike against a bully should be ruthless as well as anonymous. Anything less and the situation becomes an escalating tit for tat war. This guy tried to handle the situation like a man and confront his daughter's tormentors directly. He is the one who got in trouble and not the bullies. The bullies see that and play the victim. Now that they see they they have won, they will continue to torment the kid (most likely) unless the father was able to instill such fear in them that they are scared to continue the tormenting. Castrated American society does not like men to act like men. Things today have to be done in sneaky way. Psychologist like to call a sneaky attack in which the attacker covers his tracks, "passive aggressive." They also tend to infer that "passive aggressive" action is cowardly. I believe that all is fair when it comes to dealing with bullies. Psychologists or others in the system can call whatever tactics that need to be used whatever they want. However as long as these tactics stop the bullying and do not result in damage or injury to innocent parties, they are fair as far as I'm concerned.

kayef

17 Sep 2010, 8:04 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
My nephew was bullied really badly at primary school and the school did nothing. Eventually my brother decided to do something himself. He went round to the other kids house and told the kids father that from this point on anything that was done to my nephew by his son would be returned in kind by my brother to this kids dad. And he meant it. It did the trick.

I like that. Smart and he got his point across without going to jail.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 10:59 am

Theorem: It's very easy standing up for someone else who is being bullied (sometimes a look and shaking your head is enough, if it's a conversation where people are reveling in post- or pre-bullying, matter of factly saying 'That s**t ain't cool,' sometimes just that is enough)

Again, it's relatively easy to stand up for someone else. It is relatively difficult to stand up for yourself.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 1:31 am

Just about everytime I fought back against a bully the teachers would be against me even when they saw the bully smack me or push me first. The bully would always stand there smirking at me while I was getting yelled at. I even had to sit there in the principles office with a bully until our parents showed up. The whole time he sat there telling me how much he was going to kick my ass the next day. When his parents showed up he started bawling telling them between sobs how I choked him in front of everyone. The kids father said he was going to kick my ass until my dad showed up ready to fight then all of a sudden his old man got really QUIET. The principles secretary was so pissed she sat there and told the parents of the bully the uncensored word for word what their son said to me before they showed up while she was in the office watching us and how every week their kid was in the office for attacking me and some other kids from the special education classes. (he was in all the remedial classes)

He got me so aggravated once that I threatend to ass rape him so we fought and I pushed him into a bathroom stall on accident because it got into the way. They were so worried that I was going to kill or assrape him they moved him out of my gym class and they never had trouble between us again. Why didn't they do this in the first place? :roll: